Villages Doctors..be proactive

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-23-2015, 08:44 AM
jazzeoneaj jazzeoneaj is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 108
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Villages Doctors..be proactive

Village doctor wanted to put me on blood pressure pills...when I refused and said he didnt have enuf data ....he got into a 'fromp'..and the conversations stopped..he opened the door and ended our visit which was to just go over routine blood work. He walked in front of me and into the 'war room' where they all sit..never said goodbye, etc. .

Only saw him 3 times for non medical..to go over yearly blood work as new patient..BP was high on those occasions but it is normal at home and at other doctors offices.

If you notice, they use the 'automatic cuff' rather than manual. Manual taking of bp will give you more accurante results.


I take my bp at home and recently had y early exam with another doctor and the bp was well within the normal range.

Be proactive with yourself as some doctors are pill pushers and want you to do what THEY want you to do without giving you other options.

I since have switched to different doctor and location. BP is fine.
  #2  
Old 01-23-2015, 08:49 AM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 39,543
Thanks: 4,310
Thanked 4,833 Times in 1,657 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

What would you do if you were the doctor? Ignore the high blood pressure?



There was one person that was turned off because the doctor walked in carrying a banana and walked down the hall without saying hello to his staff. People expect unrealistic things from their doctors. If you have the time to get all of the education a doctor has, then you don't need a doctor. Find the best one you can find and follow his/her directions.

I want someone from the traditional medical community. I am not into alternative medicine. A lot of people have a prejudice against prescription drugs of any kind. One of the most life saving medication groups prescribed are those that lower blood pressure. As we age we have more medical issues. It is wise to be proactive, but to ignore a doctor's advice is not wise.

Bump
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.

Last edited by graciegirl; 04-16-2015 at 09:50 AM.
  #3  
Old 01-23-2015, 08:52 AM
Blessed2BNTV Blessed2BNTV is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hadley
Posts: 836
Thanks: 322
Thanked 34 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Good for you! Yes we have to be proactive with our health.

We recently moved here full time and am looking for a doctor that practices with a holistic approach. Had one where we use to live and loved his (medical) wisdom.

Any recommendations?
  #4  
Old 01-23-2015, 11:59 AM
jazzeoneaj jazzeoneaj is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 108
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Gracie Girl....same doctor with the banana.... his demeanor said it all then and still the same a year later. Goodbye to him.

I worked for physicians for 8 years and know the score. You don't prescribe pills until you have the facts..especially when dealing with heart, blood pressure and other issues of vital organs.

.. If I were the doctor, I would first give a 'change of lifestyle'...suggestion..2nd, I would have that patient; monitor his/her BP and to take it a step further, I would have them wear a BP monitor..like you do for a Holter Monitor for heart.. That way you would get an accurate reading on the BP over a period of a day or so.

Saw the physican for meet and greet in 2013....and then yearly routine blood works..only.

Just came from annual checkup today from gyn and bp is fine..it was fine last month. There is and was nothing wrong with my bp.

Be proactive and stay away from doctors that don't look at the big picture, give you options and talk to you..not just prescribe a pill...especially when you don't need it!!! Recommend Dr. Ohja if you want a very very good doctor at Creekside..who NOW is my primary.
  #5  
Old 04-16-2015, 09:40 AM
Srjackson Srjackson is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I had the same experience today! He put thd fear of God in me saying I wa at risk for a stroke if I did not go on BP medication immediately. Like you, my BP taken at home is normal. Can you suggest a good doctor as I am definitely losing this one.
  #6  
Old 04-16-2015, 09:51 AM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 39,543
Thanks: 4,310
Thanked 4,833 Times in 1,657 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
What would you do if you were the doctor? Ignore the high blood pressure?



There was one person that was turned off because the doctor walked in carrying a banana and walked down the hall without saying hello to his staff. People expect unrealistic things from their doctors. If you have the time to get all of the education a doctor has, then you don't need a doctor. Find the best one you can find and follow his/her directions.

I want someone from the traditional medical community. I am not into alternative medicine. A lot of people have a prejudice against prescription drugs of any kind. One of the most life saving medication groups prescribed are those that lower blood pressure. As we age we have more medical issues. It is wise to be proactive, but to ignore a doctor's advice is not wise.

Bump

bump
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.
  #7  
Old 04-16-2015, 10:21 AM
Loudoll's Avatar
Loudoll Loudoll is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 353
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default No!

If you notice, they use the 'automatic cuff' rather than manual. Manual taking of bp will give you more accurante results.

This statement is absolutely NOT true. Manual is subjective, considering the person's hearing, paying attention and other stuff when they administer this bp test.
  #8  
Old 04-16-2015, 10:36 AM
Bogie Shooter Bogie Shooter is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 15,378
Thanks: 3
Thanked 2,076 Times in 946 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzeoneaj View Post
Village doctor wanted to put me on blood pressure pills...when I refused and said he didnt have enuf data ....he got into a 'fromp'..and the conversations stopped..he opened the door and ended our visit which was to just go over routine blood work. He walked in front of me and into the 'war room' where they all sit..never said goodbye, etc. .

Only saw him 3 times for non medical..to go over yearly blood work as new patient..BP was high on those occasions but it is normal at home and at other doctors offices.

If you notice, they use the 'automatic cuff' rather than manual. Manual taking of bp will give you more accurante results.


I take my bp at home and recently had y early exam with another doctor and the bp was well within the normal range.

Be proactive with yourself as some doctors are pill pushers and want you to do what THEY want you to do without giving you other options.

I since have switched to different doctor and location. BP is fine.
Being proactive with the Villages Health is to request a different doctor.
I am very satisfied with the doctor I am seeing, if I was not I would ask for a different doc. They even suggest this.
  #9  
Old 04-16-2015, 11:24 AM
Laurie2 Laurie2 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 274
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

About that sphygmomanometer. . .there is a tale that was told about a very small town where there was only one doctor. Among his patients, there had been a noticeable spike in the number of men who had high blood pressure.

But it was only the men. Not the women patients.

The doctor wanted to figure out why. He thought about it a while and decided to start with the basics by observing how his nurse was taking the BP readings.

She was doing the readings with the cuff and stethoscope, manually pumping and then listening closely. And getting those high readings -- men only.........

It finally dawned on the doc -- the nurse had quite the voluptuous figure, as in the old, "Hellooooo, Nurse" vaudeville routine. (When the doc took the BP it was often just fine.)

This little story is purely anecdotal. . .or is it apocryphal. Well.....I don't know. Just thought I'd throw it in here.

And there are always those with "white coat syndrome" and you are rushed in after being weighed -- EEK! -- and they slap that cuff on you immediately. (My doc now knows to take mine again at the end of the visit.)

But there are lots of people with high BP that goes undiagnosed. Hypertension is sometimes called "The Silent Killer."
  #10  
Old 04-16-2015, 12:22 PM
juneroses juneroses is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 342
Thanks: 0
Thanked 37 Times in 8 Posts
Default

I tend to have "white coat hypertension" so for the week before I go for my semiannual checkup, I record my A.M. BP at home. I take that list and my BP cuff with me to the appointment. Taking my cuff allows the doctor to see that it's relatively new and in good condition; personnel can also compare the office cuff reading with mine.

Perhaps it really didn't quite occur as written, but the OP refused the BP meds "and said he didnt have enuf data". I agree we have to be proactive, but this response seems a bit harsh and sounds like a challenge to the doctor's competence.
__________________
The Villages via Cincinnati, Ohio
  #11  
Old 04-16-2015, 01:07 PM
Laurie2 Laurie2 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 274
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneroses View Post
I tend to have "white coat hypertension" so for the week before I go for my semiannual checkup, I record my A.M. BP at home. I take that list and my BP cuff with me to the appointment. Taking my cuff allows the doctor to see that it's relatively new and in good condition; personnel can also compare the office cuff reading with mine.

Perhaps it really didn't quite occur as written, but the OP refused the BP meds "and said he didnt have enuf data". I agree we have to be proactive, but this response seems a bit harsh and sounds like a challenge to the doctor's competence.
juneroses,

Ah, yes, "white coat syndrome."

That is a really good idea, taking the cuff along so the doctor can see the memory with your readings. That could also be valuable in adjusting meds by dosage or type for someone already on BP pills.

I am glad you posted this. It could help someone who has not thought of it......like me.
  #12  
Old 04-16-2015, 01:35 PM
blueash's Avatar
blueash blueash is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,635
Thanks: 163
Thanked 1,915 Times in 474 Posts
Default

There are many reasons to be aggressive with management of hypertension. Indeed it is a silent killer. Given that setup, it is equally true that it is important to accurately diagnose and there are guidelines for doing so.
A nice review of proper technique including ruling out "white coat" hypertension is available at
http://www.heartfoundation.org.au/Si...2010Update.pdf

A single elevated reading is not usually "enuf" to justify going directly to medication unless it is extremely, pre-stroke, levels or there are other signs of significant cardiac compromise.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 AM.