Villages ER wait

Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2019, 07:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member

If our local Hospital is so bad why do people continue to go there? If your able to drive yourself or be driven by someone other then an Ambulance why not go somewhere else? It is NOT The Villages Hospital it is the Hospital that is located in The Villages, We know they are swamped with people especially this time of year. Look at the amount of people and their ages in the area. Try going to another Hospital and see their wait times. The State has to approve more Hospitals and they are the ones who can correct the problems.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:49 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn5656 View Post
My friend went in at 930 in the am, sat in a chair in the hallway inside the ER until 3 am, then put on a gurney in the hall until later the next day, when he then got put into a cubicle. He finally got a room at 10 pm the next day, and is scheduled for surgery today.
What was wrong with your friend? If he survived in a chair for 15 hours his condition does not sound very serious.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:52 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
If our local Hospital is so bad why do people continue to go there? If your able to drive yourself or be driven by someone other then an Ambulance why not go somewhere else? It is NOT The Villages Hospital it is the Hospital that is located in The Villages, We know they are swamped with people especially this time of year. Look at the amount of people and their ages in the area. Try going to another Hospital and see their wait times. The State has to approve more Hospitals and they are the ones who can correct the problems.
I agree Skip. If I had listened to all this negativity and insisted that the EMS go to Ocala I may not be alive today.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
I was in St Luke’s Cataract Center about two weeks ago anticipating my second cataract surgery. Nurses took my BP and it was sky high...183. Heart rate also extremely elevated. Doctor said a stroke could be imminent without treatment and immediately called EMS who arrived in a few minutes. I was transported by ambulance to the Villages ER, was seen immediately and treated the doctor. After a brief stay, I was completky stabilized and discharged. My entire experience was nothing less than excellent from the Angels at St Lukes to the very competent and comforting EMS personnel to the Emergency Room Staff. I am glad that I did not listen to all the negative commentary on TOTV about the hospital because had I insisted to go to Ocala instead, I may not be writing this little note. Yes, it was that close.
I had a similar event with the same outcome. Many thanks to the staff at Laurel Manor Rec Center, EMS, who gave me two shots of Atropine and loaded on two firefighter to the "Bus" and for the staff in Emergency who had me diagnosed before I got there and were waiting to act immediately. All were wonderful as were all of the nurses in critical care who treated me like a family member for a whole week.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:16 AM
Sage

Did any of you read Dear Heloise in todays (3/18) Sun?? A person wrote in who lives in Atlanta and I thought of all the folks in T.V. who complain about our care facility here.

I, for one, haven't had complaints about the care I've received with our health system.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

We waited for 11 hours and I thought that was horrid. Sorry to hear about your neighbor.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:05 AM
Veteran member

Being seen and treated in the emergency room is different from waiting to be admitted or for a bed to become available.

I've been treated in the ERs at Leesburg and TV hospitals for cardiac arrhythmia. All three times I was triaged, seen by a physician, and treated within 10 minutes of arrival. I had to wait about 9 hours for a room at Leesburg but was on a gurney or in a bed in the ER, which honestly is not that much different from being in a bed upstairs.

Both hospitals did very well by me in emergency situations as well as in the care I received after being admitted. (Can also attest that the cardiac ward at Leesburg is quite plush.)

I feel very badly when I hear stories of people sitting in the waiting room for hours and hours but also can't help but wonder why they were willing to do so. Being in an ER waiting room for that long would exhaust and defeat me more thoroughly than whatever illness I was there for.

Last edited by queasy27; 03-26-2019 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Home - Villages | The Villages Regional Hospital | The Villages, Florida

Home - Leesburg | Leesburg Regional Medical Center | Leesburg, Florida

Wait time in red in the top right of each page.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

"Wait times" include those who are brought in by ambulance, who are almost always seen immediately...and therefore bring the 'averages' down.

ER Wait Watcher VILLAGES REGIONAL HOSPITAL, THE
Quote:

Waiting Time - VILLAGES REGIONAL HOSPITAL, THE

Average time patients spent in the emergency room before being seen by a doctor. 41min

National Avg. 20min

Fla. Avg. 17min

This Hospital 41min
Old 03-26-2019, 04:24 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

My friend had a serious operation the next day, guess that might be quite serious.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,997 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
From CMS (Federal government) website
TVRH aid considered a medium volume hospital
Following stats were taken from the website
Average time patients spent in the Emergency Department before they were admitted to the hospital as in inpatient
TVRH 503 minutes
National average 261 minutes
Florida average 260 minutes

Average time spent in Emergency Department after Dr. decided to admit them as in patient before leaving for their inpatient room
TVRH 256 minutes
National average 92 minutes
Florida average 95 minutes

Average time patients spent in ED before leaving from the visit
TVRH 260 minutes
National average 142 minutes
Florida average 144 min

There is more data available.
My last visit to TVRH was not exactly the visit described in an earlier post and it was not during snowbird season.
I was seen quickly and had CT scan. Sent out to waiting room nauseated with a headache. An hour later, called back to placement of an INT
( IV port). Sent back to the lobby to wait another hour. Taken back and placed in a straight backed chair in a hall between the clean linen room and the dirty linen room. Spent approx on hour there receiving IVs etc. while patients and staff walked by.
From sitting in the waiting room, I observed one young man stating that he had been there for hours (also had INT in his arm),was diabetic and that if he didn’t get something to eat, he was leaving. Another man was groaning and moaning, couldn’t sit upright in his chair and his wife was complaining that they had been there for an hour without pain meds or treatment. Another woman was pacing in front of me talking on a cell phone trying to get her father transferred to a hospital with more than two stars. This was last year before we dropped down to one star.
The waiting room was only a quarter full.
I think the government statistics reveal the quality of our hospital.
For more info, google CMS hospital compare.
This place sounds like a bloody nightmare! How do we get to a real hospital if we need one in TV? I can’t see myself ever voluntarily going to this hospital.

When I went to Strub Hospital in Honolulu I couldn’t believe that I was in, tested and seen by doctor for bronchitis and was on my way with prescriptions in an hour. Hospital did follow up calls.

In Kailua, Hawaii when I broke my knee I was seen within 15 min at Castle Hospital, stabilized and the surgeon called me the next day to discuss options. I chose to fly home. Again hospital did follow up calls to see how I was on my cell 3 times a day. I was on Allianz insurance which bargains with the hospital on bills.

I’m afraid to get sick in TV. Do I need to arrange for access to private nurse and how I get to Orlando in an emergency?

Last edited by Velvet; 04-03-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:14 PM

MOST of the people in the ER waiting room should not be there at all. They should be at an "urgnt care" where they will take care of your sniffles, give you a prescription and send you home. The operative word is EMERGENCY. IF you are truly and "EMERGENCY" they will see you and treat you. Getting from the ER to a "room" is another subject. If there is no room, you remain in the EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT until they have a bed. My "guess" is: if you drove yourself there, you are probably not an EMERGENCY.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,997 Times in 1,729 Posts

May I ask, where exactly are the people supposed to go? If I had bronchitis in TV when I can drive myself where do I go? And if I broke my knee cap and needed an ambulance, then where do I go? Oh, and Allianz would like to know too as they were looking at what services to suggest to me when I was in TV.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
May I ask, where exactly are the people supposed to go? If I had bronchitis in TV when I can drive myself where do I go? And if I broke my knee cap and needed an ambulance, then where do I go? Oh, and Allianz would like to know too as they were looking at what services to suggest to me when I was in TV.
When you were in TV....does that mean you don’t live here?
Old 04-03-2019, 03:15 PM
Platinum member

What’s Allianz?
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, waiting, room, unbelievable, admitted

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.