Villages Health changing to Florida Blue?

Villages Health changing to Florida Blue?

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Villages Health changing to Florida Blue?
  #1  
Old 09-17-2019, 07:24 AM
jeriteri jeriteri is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 209
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Villages Health changing to Florida Blue?

Anyone else hear about this? I wonder how it will affect our coverage, premiums and out of pocket costs?
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 09-17-2019, 07:53 AM
champion6's Avatar
champion6 champion6 is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tamarind Grove
Posts: 3,973
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeriteri View Post
Anyone else hear about this? I wonder how it will affect our coverage, premiums and out of pocket costs?
Not changing, but ADDING a Florida Blue Medicare Advantage plan.

It was in the Daily Sun on July 26, 2019 and is already being discussed here: The Villages Health offering second insurer
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #3  
Old 09-17-2019, 10:26 AM
trichard trichard is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 266
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

They have changed management. Understand they will be selling to Optum effective 1/1/20. Hearing they will begin accepting original Medicare at that time. I won’t go back after being “grandfathered in”. And they told “things change”. What has changed is that they had been running negative cash and losing money since kicking us out.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-17-2019, 11:51 AM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: From Ohio, now happily live in Laurel Valley
Posts: 36,509
Thanks: 213
Thanked 135 Times in 88 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trichard View Post
They have changed management. Understand they will be selling to Optum effective 1/1/20. Hearing they will begin accepting original Medicare at that time. I won’t go back after being “grandfathered in”. And they told “things change”. What has changed is that they had been running negative cash and losing money since kicking us out.
What makes you say that they are "running negative cash"? What does that mean? They can't pay their bills? They are underfunded?

I think those who had to leave were those who didn't have the insurance company they used.
__________________
I have to be myself, everyone else is taken.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-17-2019, 02:16 PM
NotGolfer NotGolfer is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: The Villages
Posts: 3,101
Thanks: 32
Thanked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
What makes you say that they are "running negative cash"? What does that mean? They can't pay their bills? They are underfunded?

I think those who had to leave were those who didn't have the insurance company they used.
Exactly Graciegirl! Also to be clear...it was UnitedHealth who dictated the changes back in the day, NOT TVHC.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-18-2019, 05:09 AM
lake5798 lake5798 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Lewiston,MI /Village of Fernandina
Posts: 147
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Are you naive enough to believe that the TVHC and UHC did not work in consortium to limit the patients to ONLY UHC?? This is a case of one hand washing the other in pursuit of maximum profitability!! I am not saying this is wrong, just putting the cards in place.
__________________
It is what it is!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-18-2019, 06:09 AM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: From Ohio, now happily live in Laurel Valley
Posts: 36,509
Thanks: 213
Thanked 135 Times in 88 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake5798 View Post
Are you naive enough to believe that the TVHC and UHC did not work in consortium to limit the patients to ONLY UHC?? This is a case of one hand washing the other in pursuit of maximum profitability!! I am not saying this is wrong, just putting the cards in place.
Can you explain how that works??? The Villages Health care (TVHC) is the local group of medical centers owned by The Villages and only in The Villages and United Health Care( UHC) is a very large National Insurance company.


Plus being in pursuit of maximum profitability is not necessarily a bad thing in and of itself.

United Healthcare Health Insurance Company Review

Healthcare Providers - The Villages Health


Insurance Plans for Primary Care The Villages Health
__________________
I have to be myself, everyone else is taken.

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-18-2019 at 06:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-18-2019, 06:59 AM
rustyp rustyp is offline
Gold member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,161
Thanks: 1
Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Can you explain how that works??? The Villages Health care (TVHC) is the local group of medical centers owned by The Villages and only in The Villages and United Health Care( UHC) is a very large National Insurance company.


Plus being in pursuit of maximum profitability is not necessarily a bad thing in and of itself.

United Healthcare Health Insurance Company Review

Healthcare Providers - The Villages Health


Insurance Plans for Primary Care The Villages Health
There is a thing called reinsurance where an insurance company assumes part of the risk and the employer (this case TVHC) assumes another part. These are custom built policies built between the two parties. I vaguely remember that TVHC was using this model with United thus one reason why only one provider allowed. Anyone else know better ?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-18-2019, 10:12 AM
justjim justjim is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Posts: 4,402
Thanks: 24
Thanked 37 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Perhaps this is a Trend for Village Health. It would be nice if they accepted more companies IMHO.
__________________
Most people are as happy as they make up their mind to be. Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-18-2019, 10:37 AM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: From Ohio, now happily live in Laurel Valley
Posts: 36,509
Thanks: 213
Thanked 135 Times in 88 Posts
Default

I think it isn't that the Villages aren't accepting new insurance companies, but that new insurance companies may not want to be part of this system.
__________________
I have to be myself, everyone else is taken.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
coverage, affect, premiums, costs, pocket

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:56 AM.