Villages Health Lab Fees

Closed Thread
Old 09-10-2014, 09:01 PM
Default Villages Health Lab Fees

I found out today that whenever you visit the lab at any of the Villages Health locations, they will take your vital signs. That then goes into your profile to be reviewed by your doctor. Because of that, you will be charged a copay because they consider that an office visit. In my case, it was $20 as soon as the blood pressure cuff went on. We do have the right to refuse this if we so choose. I feel it is a total waste of my money. If I'm going to pay for an office visit, I expect to actually have one. According to the person in billing, everyone in the system got a letter explaining this would be done. Shame on me for not paying more attention.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:51 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyephan View Post
I found out today that whenever you visit the lab at any of the Villages Health locations, they will take your vital signs. That then goes into your profile to be reviewed by your doctor. Because of that, you will be charged a copay because they consider that an office visit. In my case, it was $20 as soon as the blood pressure cuff went on. We do have the right to refuse this if we so choose. I feel it is a total waste of my money. If I'm going to pay for an office visit, I expect to actually have one. According to the person in billing, everyone in the system got a letter explaining this would be done. Shame on me for not paying more attention.
My wife and I have both been sucked into this scam. In our case they did ask if we would "like" our BP taken. We felt, sure, why not (no mention you were going to pay for an office visit by saying yes)!! We were told on the QT by the front desk girls to always say "no thanks"!! Those girls are the best!!!
Old 09-10-2014, 09:54 PM
Platinum member

Is this a new practice? I have not had many visits but they have always taken my bp and never a copay.

Last edited by jojo; 09-11-2014 at 05:50 AM.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:06 PM
Sage

Must be your insurance. Of course it's their policy (I was told) to take vitals with each visit. I've never, ever had to pay a co-pay with them. I have vitals taken at my rheumatology app'ts too...it's standard with any office call.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

doctor's visits yes it is no doubt included in the office visit rate.
Lab visit for drawing blood....no way!
Old 10-03-2014, 07:15 AM

Thanks so much for the "heads-up" on this matter. I have had lab work done for years and never once has it been considered an office visit or charged that way. Recently we have switched over to The Villages Healthcare and we like our new doctors very much after the initial visit. This week I went for my routine lab work and when the tech asked me to get on the scale I questioned it and she said that they like to take vitals at these appts. I asked "won't doing that classify this as an office visit?" and she said "yes". I then refused. When I sat down to have my blood drawn she said "good for you" with a little smile. I have my regular office visit with the dr. next week no need to be charged for one I don't get this week also. I am disappointed that they are doing this and makes me feel a bit distrustful.
Again. . .this is why I love TOTV. Your information has helped others to be more aware.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:27 AM
Gold member

It's interesting, it doesn't matter whether it's the doctor, the vet or the dentist, if "it's our policy" they generally bill me for it. If it's their policy, why must I pay?
Old 10-03-2014, 08:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

If these reports are true, and I have no reason to doubt multiple similar reports, this is reprehensible. It may not be illegal or fraud, but it is a sad example of gaming the system, finding a loophole, and I hope each and every patient of that practice personally raises the issue with your doctor or non-doctor provider at each visit you have until they stop doing it.

https://apps8.fldfs.com/first/

Is the link for reporting insurance fraud to the state. I don't know that this rises to that level, however a few notices from Tallahassee that they are looking at the issue might help convince them that it is not worth the potential penalties
Old 10-03-2014, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
If these reports are true, and I have no reason to doubt multiple similar reports, this is reprehensible. It may not be illegal or fraud, but it is a sad example of gaming the system, finding a loophole, and I hope each and every patient of that practice personally raises the issue with your doctor or non-doctor provider at each visit you have until they stop doing it.

Is the link for reporting insurance fraud to the state. I don't know that this rises to that level, however a few notices from Tallahassee that they are looking at the issue might help convince them that it is not worth the potential penalties

I was at our doctor (not in that system) for a regular visit and was asked if I wanted a flu shot and I asked if Helene and Sweetie could come over and get theirs too. They said yes. Sweetie said they weighed both of them and took their BP. Hmmm. We could have had it at Publix and not made a charge for a "visit" that our taxes have to pay for. We don't have a co-pay either because we still have Sweeties "decent" insurance that he worked long hours for fifty years for.

Last edited by graciegirl; 10-03-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,367 Times in 2,395 Posts

If you don't like the process..........talk to your doctor. Posting on here will not change anything.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,367 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post

I hope the folks in Tallahassee are spending their time on real fraud.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
If you don't like the process..........talk to your doctor. Posting on here will not change anything.

I think it is good that these kinds of things are brought to our attention so we can talk to our doctors.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
It's interesting, it doesn't matter whether it's the doctor, the vet or the dentist, if "it's our policy" they generally bill me for it. If it's their policy, why must I pay?

You have to be your own advocate. Speak up and tell them it's your policy not to pay for unnecessary procedures. If they keep it up, contact your insurer, Medicare, and the insurance commissioner.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:57 PM
Platinum member

I did talk to my doctor about it and she wrote me an order to get my bloodwork done at Alliance and there would be no copay. Just for me to make sure I get it done one week before my physical.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
i think it is good that these kinds of things are brought to our attention so we can talk to our doctors.
amen....amen....
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.