Villages Healthcare System Flu Shots

Closed Thread
Old 10-09-2019, 03:23 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonalChoice View Post
My husband got his flu shot and got the flu. He was sick for two weeks. Has anyone else had this happen?
You cannot get the flu from the flu shot.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonalChoice View Post
My husband got his flu shot and got the flu. He was sick for two weeks. Has anyone else had this happen?
Without a doubt, I'm with you. It was way less than the usual feelings I get after the shot each year but it was real and not imagined.

I get it about the written word. I guess I'm not the only one who imaginarily suffers after the shot when I felt fine before getting it.
Nucky MD. I was lumped up a little over 24 hours.

Hope your husband feels better.

SANTA BARBARA Location of the Villages Health told me a few hours ago that the next supply of Flu Shots is expected sometime in the next two weeks. This is from my Doctors Nurse. Watch out for the line at Publix!

Last edited by Nucky; 10-09-2019 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I got a flu shot from the VA Medical Facility at Mulberry on Sept 17th, my wife got hers at Walgreens at Pinellas Plaza the next week.

In 2015 I got an pneumonia shot that was good for ten years. In 2016 I got pneumonia that lasted about two months. It had gone away and then returned, I had to eventually go to a pulmonary doctor.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
In 2015 I got an pneumonia shot that was good for ten years. In 2016 I got pneumonia that lasted about two months. It had gone away and then returned, I had to eventually go to a pulmonary doctor.
There was your mistake. Instead of getting a pneumonia shot you should have got an ANTI-pneumonia shot. Blame your doctor for that.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

There are some potential side effects that some people experience when they get a flu shot. Usually it's just swelling and redness in the injection site on your arm. But very mild flu-like symptoms are known, but rare side effects. So if you felt a little achy and had a low-grade fever for a couple of days, that could certainly be a side-effect of the vaccine.

However - if you had the actual flu shortly after being vaccinated, it was not the shot giving you the flu. It was you, having the flu before you got the shot,and the symptoms showing up after the shot.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:58 PM

Publix..and they will pay you!
Old 10-09-2019, 07:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrgolf View Post
Publix..and they will pay you!
The CVS in Targets that have them too, you'll get a $5 Target store credit, and if you have insurance the shot is free.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,143 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Your post wrongly suggests that the shot you got failed to protect you. Common error. The pneumonia shot you were given protects you against one of the most common bacteria that can cause pneumonia [pneumococcus]. There are two different Prevnar vaccines, one against 13 strains based on those strains which were found to cause disease in children, and Prevnar 23 based on those in adults. Both are recommended for those over 65. So you were protected against certain strains on pneumococcus and only those strains.

There are 100's of different bacteria, viruses, and other organisms and chemicals that can and do cause pneumonia. In fact pneumococcus causes a fraction of clinical pneumonias but can be a serious cause. So the vaccine did not fail you, rather you likely were infected with one of the 100's of other agents causing pneumonia.

Think of it this way. Say we have a vaccine to prevent dog bites from pit bulls. It is well known that pit bulls are a serious cause of human bite injuries. And even if that vaccine works well it will not protect you from bites from poodles, shepherds …..
Old 10-09-2019, 08:24 PM
Veteran member

And at Publix you get a $10 gift certificate and the shot is free!
Old 10-10-2019, 08:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Your post wrongly suggests that the shot you got failed to protect you. Common error. The pneumonia shot you were given protects you against one of the most common bacteria that can cause pneumonia [pneumococcus]...
It actually did fail me, I got pneumonia. Your comment is what my post was pointing out to others, that just because you've received a shot doesn't mean you're totally protected.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
It actually did fail me, I got pneumonia. Your comment is what my post was pointing out to others, that just because you've received a shot doesn't mean you're totally protected.
There are more than one strain of pneumonia. Your vaccine protected you from whichever strains are included in that vaccine. The pneumonia you got, would be for one of the strains of pneumonia that are not covered by the vaccine.

Just like if I get a flu shot against everything except avian flu - and end up getting avian flu. It's because the shot didn't include that particular strain of flu.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsmith4444 View Post
How can The Villages Health Care System run out of flu shots in such a short time when most snow birds aren’t back yet?
It’s already a month into injections. Most Snowbirds already have their shots before coming here. Try working for a health care system, we are always last on the list, running out of the preserve Free is alwAys a problem.
I have reactions even to the preservative free, and even though I am exposed to over a hundred people a week, I have never had any strain of flu.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
It’s already a month into injections. Most Snowbirds already have their shots before coming here. Try working for a health care system, we are always last on the list, running out of the preserve Free is alwAys a problem.
I have reactions even to the preservative free, and even though I am exposed to over a hundred people a week, I have never had any strain of flu.
The CDC recommended shots later this year than last year. Usually August is the start of the vaccine season but they said to wait til at least mid-September. The vaccine protects for a certain number of months, and the season ended before that, if you got the shot in August. So you'd be vulnerable near the end of your dose if you got it too early.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

The shots take up to 4 weeks to become effective.....according to local pharmacist.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.