The Villages Heath Care - Upsetting Experience

Closed Thread
Old 01-18-2018, 06:22 PM
Eternal Member

I have been with the Villages Health since day one. Never a problem. Sometimes even the same day I call. They are wonderful !!
Old 01-18-2018, 07:05 PM

Your key phrase here is "blessed with good health." Doctors don't usually see you right away unless you have documented heart problems, cancer or wearing a oxygen tank on your back. They are just too busy with all the older sick patients here. And if you do get an appointment, it's always with the doctor's assistant. The only time I see my doctor is during the annual exam because I have been also "blessed with good health."
Old 01-19-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful2 View Post
I write this, only to let others know what they might be facing, should they choose to use The Villages Health Care:

I have an excellent Blue Cross/Blue Shield policy which allows me to go just about anywhere for medical services. When I moved here several years ago, I began seeing a wonderful doctor at The Villages Health Care. Fortunately, I have been blessed with good health and have only needed to see my doctor for semi-annual check-ups. Recently, I needed to postpone my 6 month check-up, due to a family emergency. (I called and canceled my appointment 4 days prior.) When I asked for a new appointment date, I was told that the doctor has no openings for 7 months!!! While I fully expected that I might need to wait a few weeks for another appointment date, I find a 7 month wait to be outrageous and unacceptable for an established patient. Needless to say, I have found another doctor ...not in The Villages Health Care.
I am glad that those who have commented on my above post have never experienced a problem with The Villages Health Care. As previously stated, I posted my experience so that others may know what they might be facing. It never ceases to amaze me how fast others on this forum are, to discredit the accuracy of someone else's experience.

In clarification:
1. Yes, The Villages Health does accept Blue Cross/Blue Shield insurance for those who are under age 65.
2. I am under age 65 (although I wasn't born yesterday).
3. Yes, I very well know the difference between The Villages Health Care system vs other Villages medical facilities and doctors.
4. I was indeed told that there was a 7 month wait to reschedule my check-up appointment with my primary care doctor.
5. No, there was no way that my doctor was pregnant.
6. No, my doctor was not on or about to take a leave of absence. (I inquired.)
7. The excuse given for the 7 month wait was, "Your doctor has a lot of patients."
8. I then contacted the center supervisor. I was told, "We have a lot of snowbirds this time of year and also, everyone is coming in now with the flu."

I have no doubt that many people have had positive experiences in dealing with the Villages Health Care. Unfortunately, I have not.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful2 View Post
I am glad that those who have commented on my above post have never experienced a problem with The Villages Health Care. As previously stated, I posted my experience so that others may know what they might be facing. It never ceases to amaze me how fast others on this forum are, to discredit the accuracy of someone else's experience.

In clarification:
1. Yes, The Villages Health does accept Blue Cross/Blue Shield insurance for those who are under age 65.
2. I am under age 65 (although I wasn't born yesterday).
3. Yes, I very well know the difference between The Villages Health Care system vs other Villages medical facilities and doctors.
4. I was indeed told that there was a 7 month wait to reschedule my check-up appointment with my primary care doctor.
5. No, there was no way that my doctor was pregnant.
6. No, my doctor was not on or about to take a leave of absence. (I inquired.)
7. The excuse given for the 7 month wait was, "Your doctor has a lot of patients."
8. I then contacted the center supervisor. I was told, "We have a lot of snowbirds this time of year and also, everyone is coming in now with the flu."

I have no doubt that many people have had positive experiences in dealing with the Villages Health Care. Unfortunately, I have not.

What health center do you belong to ? Who is the the doctor that can't see you for 7 months ? Who is the center's supervisor you spoke to ? Publish the facts here and quite possibly an opening may appear due to a cancellation.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:48 PM

Not sure of what program you are in, but we have NEVER had a problem getting to see someone, (may not be our own doctor) but Villages Health will get you access to a doctor or physician assistant in short order.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:04 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

It has happened to me too. My eye surgery doctor accepted a job elsewhere, and they could not replace him that quickly, so another doctor in that clinic had to accept me and others, causing a very heavy schedule for her. I had to wait 9 months even though I already had an appointment with the first doctor. Apparently they did not give me priority because my cataracts were still small.

If possible go to Urgent Care. By the way, why did those TV doctors accept snowbirds with flu instead of sending them to Urgent Care? I go there whenever possible.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:06 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
What health center do you belong to ? Who is the the doctor that can't see you for 7 months ? Who is the center's supervisor you spoke to ? Publish the facts here and quite possibly an opening may appear due to a cancellation.

Yes, a cancellation can happen. I was scheduled for cataract surgery in two months and then I got a call to come in the very next day. There had been a cancellation.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:55 PM
Gold member

Dr Roethelsberger in the Lake Sumter Facility will be out for two months due to his own medical problems. I set an appt. with the PA for my physical. I have been extremely satisfied with the Villages Plan since it started. I wish the good doctor a speedy recovery.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:20 PM

I have never had trouble getting an appointment ... even if I call and ask for someone to see me that same day (only if it's an emergency), they manage to get me in with someone. My husband and I have been with The Villages United Healthcare Medicare Advantage since they opened ... we LOVE it.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:21 PM

I have to support what OP said. I was with the Villages Health from day one. Happy with my doctor. Unfortunately, she was popular and after a couple years of just seeing her for the six month check up I came down with a horrible cough. After trying to contain it with Over the Counter Meds, I called to get in. NOPE! Had to see the PA. She gave me some meds and sent me home. Meds didn't work and I went back after a week to see my Doc. NOPE! Had to see the PA. She gave me more meds. Four days later I was taken by EMT to The Villages Hospital Where I spent four days having been diagnosed with Pneumonia. Had my DOCTOR seen me, I believe she would have ordered an X-Ray and then hopefully ordered a C Scan. She has since retired. I loved the next doctor I had for a year, but she moved "back home" to VA. So, the Third doctor was my last. I also was very happy with her for several years of just going for my regular checks. This past July I had some serious Back Issues and called to ask her to order a MRI. The PA was rude and it two days of calling to get it done. I won't go into all the details, but several weeks later I was having extreme pain in my Back and Side. I called to see my Doctor and the lady at the desk said NO WAY! She didn't have any open appointments for 3 months. Of course,I could see the PA! I asked exactly WHO does the Doctor see if she doesn't have openings and she said the people who have regular check up appointments. So I finally went to the PA who told me I had an irritated stomach and should buy ProBiotics. I didn't do it! I knew she was wrong! Two days later my husband took me to Urgent Care and I was diagnosed with Shingles! Two shots and three Prescriptions later I was out the door and felt much better in a couple days. My point being, I don't see what good it does to see a DOCTOR when you're feeling good, but not be able to see that Doctor when you are very Ill. I've lived in The Villages for 15 years and watched The Villages Health from start to present. I think they are filling their care centers with PA's and not enough doctors. I left this January, found a doctor at Laural Manor that I am very happy with and she told me they do NOT employ PA's! She said I will see HER unless she is out sick! That's the way it

My story is not unusual. I have many friends in my Little Enclave who go to The Villages Health and are experiencing the same thing. Always the PA is the only person who will see them. Some have left, some don't mind. I guess it's a personal decision!
Old 01-20-2018, 08:51 PM
Eternal Member

I almost always see see the PA. I just love her.
She schedules all my tests, xrays, CT scan, etc. if needed.
She recently had me go through some tests. After reading the results, she and my Dr. got together and got in touch with an oncologist. I have since seen the oncologist and have gone through more testing and a bone marrow biopsy I just spent 4 days in the hospital. (Wonderful Care!!)
I am extremely happy with the level of care I receive.
The Villages Health System has 4 Drs. that work in the Hospital and keep in close contact with the Drs.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny70 View Post
I have to support what OP said. I was with the Villages Health from day one. Happy with my doctor. Unfortunately, she was popular and after a couple years of just seeing her for the six month check up I came down with a horrible cough. After trying to contain it with Over the Counter Meds, I called to get in. NOPE! Had to see the PA. She gave me some meds and sent me home. Meds didn't work and I went back after a week to see my Doc. NOPE! Had to see the PA. She gave me more meds. Four days later I was taken by EMT to The Villages Hospital Where I spent four days having been diagnosed with Pneumonia. Had my DOCTOR seen me, I believe she would have ordered an X-Ray and then hopefully ordered a C Scan. She has since retired. I loved the next doctor I had for a year, but she moved "back home" to VA. So, the Third doctor was my last. I also was very happy with her for several years of just going for my regular checks. This past July I had some serious Back Issues and called to ask her to order a MRI. The PA was rude and it two days of calling to get it done. I won't go into all the details, but several weeks later I was having extreme pain in my Back and Side. I called to see my Doctor and the lady at the desk said NO WAY! She didn't have any open appointments for 3 months. Of course,I could see the PA! I asked exactly WHO does the Doctor see if she doesn't have openings and she said the people who have regular check up appointments. So I finally went to the PA who told me I had an irritated stomach and should buy ProBiotics. I didn't do it! I knew she was wrong! Two days later my husband took me to Urgent Care and I was diagnosed with Shingles! Two shots and three Prescriptions later I was out the door and felt much better in a couple days. My point being, I don't see what good it does to see a DOCTOR when you're feeling good, but not be able to see that Doctor when you are very Ill. I've lived in The Villages for 15 years and watched The Villages Health from start to present. I think they are filling their care centers with PA's and not enough doctors. I left this January, found a doctor at Laural Manor that I am very happy with and she told me they do NOT employ PA's! She said I will see HER unless she is out sick! That's the way it

My story is not unusual. I have many friends in my Little Enclave who go to The Villages Health and are experiencing the same thing. Always the PA is the only person who will see them. Some have left, some don't mind. I guess it's a personal decision!
I have had a similar bad experience with a PA totally misdiagnosing a medical condition. Thank goodness it wasn't anything serious. But other than the derm, I won't go to a doctor who uses a PA. I'm paying for the doctor; I want the doctor and his attendant medical education.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:27 AM

I have had villages health since beginning am under 65 and with private ins. Have had terrible experiences lately with them since my original dr. Moved away. Some drs there are amazingly good. Some are terrible.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:07 AM

Possibly it was because it was a “6 mo check up “. Check ups are non critical and they do take more time.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:29 AM
Veteran member

It seems there is more to this story than is being reported , I have had no problem getting a rescheduled appointment
Closed Thread

Tags
health, doctor, care, appointment, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.