The Villages Hosp.

Closed Thread
Old 02-03-2011, 11:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default The Villages Hosp.

Just had to drop a note about the Villages Hospital. I had to go there for some surgery on my knee the other day. All I can say is I was VERY impressed with the Hospital,check in was quick,piano music in the lobby as your waitng, nursing staff was great etc. Very clean,bright. My prep nurse was very attentive as was my charge nurse after surgery.She even called the next day on her day off to see if I was doing alright. Having come from Long Island and the supposed big Hospitals I found TVRH to be far superior to that of LI. I wouldn't hessitate giong there again at all. KUDOS
Old 02-03-2011, 11:47 AM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

Skip that is good to hear. We have not had to use it yet, but that is nice to know.
Also hope you are coming laong fine and have a speedy recovery!

Army Guy
Old 02-03-2011, 12:21 PM

I am glad that someone had an experience other than the disaster I had. Went to ER with major arrythmia. Had to wait a while before MD showed up. In meantime nurse put IV in my arm and neglected to remove touriquet. When MD finally did arrive he was ready to leave and wanted nurse to inject meds to stop arrythmia on her own. Both nurse and I had to protest and he stayed while they injected me and my heart returned to normal. Were admitting me so I had to wait amost three hours for a bed. Feeling discomfort in my arm after a couple of hours I called nurse who flushed out my IV. When pain didn't stop and my arm was getting numb made her come back and it was then she realized that the tourniqet had not been removed. It was a nightmare for me and to make matters worse the shift was having some kind of food event and everyone kept going back and forth to get goodies. Next time I was in distress I went to another hospital.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Update

i promised an update after my surgery.Just spent 4 days 3 nights at TVRH after having total knee replacement. Surgery was done by Dr. Cowin outstanding job. The nurses,aides, PT staff and volunteers were outstanding throughout my stay. I don't have 1 complaint with anything including the cafeteria food. If I needed anything and hit the call button they were right there. At night the nurses would stop and chat and see if I needed anything. The rooms were very clean,linens were changed daily and the paper was dropped off every morning. On my walks in the hallways people got out of your way, gave encouragement and asked if you needed any help. It's good to know we have such a great Hospital close by. I did relay the message on the ER complaints and was told they are addressing them and to be patient. They agreed that it's unfortinate that the ER gets used as a clinic by so many people including those outside TV. I would deffinatly not hesitate going back there for anything in the future.I don't work for them and this has been my experience and my opinion!
Old 02-03-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
Just had to drop a note about the Villages Hospital. I had to go there for some surgery on my knee the other day. All I can say is I was VERY impressed with the Hospital,check in was quick,piano music in the lobby as your waitng, nursing staff was great etc. Very clean,bright. My prep nurse was very attentive as was my charge nurse after surgery.She even called the next day on her day off to see if I was doing alright. Having come from Long Island and the supposed big Hospitals I found TVRH to be far superior to that of LI. I wouldn't hessitate giong there again at all. KUDOS
Glad to hear it,...I've also had surgery at TVH and have no complaints whatsoever about my experience there.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Not at all glad to hear you had to have surgery but very glad to hear you appear to be mending and so glad to hear that you had a good experience. I think that makes everyone feel better, especially coming from someone we know and trust.

Keep improving Skip...we are looking forward to when you can again SKIP!!!!
Old 02-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Veteran member

Also not happy to hear that you had to have knee surgery, Skip. Glad that you are on the mend.

Personally, had knee surgery for a ruptured quad muscle about 2 years ago, and recovery was NOT fun. Almost 2 years after, and still not back to what it should be.

I know what you are going through.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Sorry to hear you had to have surgery Skip but glad everything went well and hope you have a speedy recovery.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:14 PM
Platinum member

I count myself very, very lucky that I have not yet had reason to visit any hospital here in Florida!

But, from everything I have heard over my seven years, I am a strong believer in The Village's Hospital. I believe we have the best folks here, and they are dedicated to our care.

I lived for nearly 45 years within spitting distance of a major, well-respected teaching hopsital in Saint Louis. Despite limited experience with either that facility or The Villages, I have been persuaded that our very own TVRH is as good as any in the nation!

I salute them.

SWR
Old 02-07-2012, 11:13 AM
Gold member

You maybe should save that salute until you've been in The Villages Hospital. I've had one good experience there and one very bad experience there.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Thumbs down The Villages Hospital

We did not have a great experience with the hospital. My brother-in-law was visiting from Canada. He went to an emergency care center here in TV. He was told he should get to the hospital ASAP. Given the necessary paper work to avoid long forms, and should have been admitted right away.

Had to fill out an hours worth of paper work, and he was in extreme pain.

When a volunteer came down to take him to his room, we went home thinking he was in good hands. The volunteer took him to his floor and handed over his package of forms and information. Shift change and a hour later some one asked him what he was doing there.

Next day when we went to visit, his nurse had not even read his file and had no idea why he was there.

I could go on.........., but even getting him signed out was a nightmare. And his nurse came into his room mad, because I had the nerve to go ask the floor nurse station what was going on and could they contact his nurse to get the paper work to us for his discharge.

Sad to give a bad report, but why gloss over facts, and pretend this sort of thing does not happen in The Villages.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrman77 View Post
We did not have a great experience with the hospital. My brother-in-law was visiting from Canada. He went to an emergency care center here in TV. He was told he should get to the hospital ASAP. Given the necessary paper work to avoid long forms, and should have been admitted right away.

hours?
When a volunteer came down to take him to his room, we went home thinking he was in good hands. Your brother in law and you didn't see him settled in? The volunteer took him to his floor and handed over his package of forms and information. Shift change and a hour later some one asked him what he was doing there.

Next day when we went to visit, his nurse had not even read his file and had no idea why he was there.He said that? You asked her?

I could go on.........., but even getting him signed out was a nightmare. And his nurse came into his room mad, because I had the nerve to go ask the floor nurse station what was going on and could they contact his nurse to get the paper work to us for his discharge.?? She was mad?

Sad to give a bad report, but why gloss over facts, and pretend this sort of thing does not happen in The Villages.
This is really not very clear and you never did say what treatment he received and for what?

I can understand not everyone agreeing about the hospital but your complaints are not clear to me. Everyone has to fill out paperwork to be admitted. Getting someone signed out requires release from the attending physician and that is not always easy to do, because he/she may be tied up.

You said you "could go on" please give us more details if you want to be understood and agreed with.

"Why gloss over facts and pretend this sort of thing does not happen in The Villages", sounds like a Villages bash to me.

But I could be mistaken. May I have some popcorn?
Old 02-07-2012, 01:53 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf4me View Post
This is really not very clear and you never did say what treatment he received and for what?

I can understand not everyone agreeing about the hospital but your complaints are not clear to me. Everyone has to fill out paperwork to be admitted. Getting someone signed out requires release from the attending physician and that is not always easy to do, because he/she may be tied up.

You said you "could go on" please give us more details if you want to be understood and agreed with.

"Why gloss over facts and pretend this sort of thing does not happen in The Villages", sounds like a Villages bash to me.

But I could be mistaken. May I have some popcorn?
golf4me: I am just curious...Are you saying that the same people who operate The Villages also operate The Villages Hospital?. I am getting very inpatient and somewhat suspicious with people like you who seem to need to come to the defense of The Villages. More directly speaking, and other than purchasing a home here, do you have an invested interest financial or otherwise in The Villages? If not then allow a resident the opportunity and right to express his/her opinion concerning an experience(s). However if you do have an additional investment then acknowledge that fact so we all know your true motivations. By the way my only ownership is in a house.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:07 PM

It seems that many who enter The Villages hospital via the ER seem to have problems there. Those that enter through a scheduled surgery seem to do very well. I suspect that is because the surgeon , be it a heart or ortho or whomever would not tolerate bad care for his patient. They carry a big stick.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrman77 View Post

When a volunteer came down to take him to his room, we went home thinking he was in good hands. The volunteer took him to his floor and handed over his package of forms and information. Shift change and a hour later some one asked him what he was doing there.

Next day when we went to visit, his nurse had not even read his file and had no idea why he was there.

I could go on.........., but even getting him signed out was a nightmare. And his nurse came into his room mad, because I had the nerve to go ask the floor nurse station what was going on and could they contact his nurse to get the paper work to us for his discharge.

Some of this doesn't make sense (to me, anyway). When you say this, " He went to an emergency care center here in TV. He was told he should get to the hospital ASAP. Given the necessary paper work to avoid long forms, and should have been admitted right away", I wonder:

1. When you say "an emergency care center here in TV", do you mean an urgent care center?

2. Who "gave him the necessary paperwork to avoid long forms"?

3. Assuming it was an urgent care center visited first, how would an urgent care center admit a person to the hospital??
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.