Low salt foods

Closed Thread
Old 02-07-2012, 08:00 AM
Default Low salt foods

Has anyone found a good place to get no salt or low salt snack foods?
Old 02-07-2012, 08:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

The produce department. Strawberries are low salt.

Jes tryin' to hep.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:50 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast View Post
Has anyone found a good place to get no salt or low salt snack foods?
It's usually a no-win situation. In the past, I have seen advertisements that claim 50% less sodium. It's true but the problem is it was 50% off of a very high level of sodium. So the lower amount is still way too much, in my opinion. These types of foods are usually not healthy anyway.

As far as "no salt" snack products go, they're not going to be healthier, just different. They will contain sugar, high fructose corn syrup and or saturated fat. The best thing for your health would be to make up your own snacks. For example: A small apple and a few (raw) unsalted nuts. Or you could snack on some raw vegies. This assumes that your goal is to be healthy.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:40 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
It's usually a no-win situation. In the past, I have seen advertisements that claim 50% less sodium. It's true but the problem is it was 50% off of a very high level of sodium. So the lower amount is still way too much, in my opinion. These types of foods are usually not healthy anyway.

As far as "no salt" snack products go, they're not going to be healthier, just different. They will contain sugar, high fructose corn syrup and or saturated fat. The best thing for your health would be to make up your own snacks. For example: A small apple and a few (raw) unsalted nuts. Or you could snack on some raw vegies. This assumes that your goal is to be healthy.

I would like to add some to the mix.
Fresh Fruits and veggie without added salt. Most meats but pork, again with no salt added. Watch cheeses and dairy products, fish is usually pretty low. If you are one who will miss salt try using lime wedges rubbed over thing. On corn on the cob it is delicious. Mrs. Dash is a low salt additive, and of course pepper if you like it. Most spices (without sodium added) are a good flavoring for food. Unsalted butter rather than regular. Unsalted nuts. Beans and Legumes. Hmm that is all I can think of, Good luck.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.