villages hospital?????

Closed Thread
Old 03-30-2015, 11:17 AM
Default villages hospital?????

since i moved here all i hear is the horrors about our hospital..shouldn't this be the BEST in florida...considering we are senior citizens living here . people being left in the hallways for hours?? not seeing a dr for hours??? alot of bad stuff....anyone have any info on this???
Old 03-30-2015, 11:48 AM
Platinum member

All I know is, I had two surgeries there and both times had wonderful care.
Tampa, FL
Old 03-30-2015, 12:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie01 View Post
since i moved here all i hear is the horrors about our hospital..shouldn't this be the BEST in florida...considering we are senior citizens living here . people being left in the hallways for hours?? not seeing a dr for hours??? alot of bad stuff....anyone have any info on this???
do a search on hospital. You will get the good and the bad.
Don't always believe everything you hear.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I had stents placed there and they were great.

One of the things that I've noticed here is that the doctors are wonderful. The problems seem to be with the support staffs. It seems that everyone complains bout them.

I love my doctor but I am tired of not being notified of appointment changes, double billing, and all sorts of other problems that he has nothing to do with. I don't know why they can't find decent help in this area to support these fine doctors.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
do a search on hospital. You will get the good and the bad.
Don't always believe everything you hear.
Other half and I have both had major surgeries at TV hospital and both times the treatment was exceptional. Do as Bogie says, read back through the threads. Good and Bad.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 03-30-2015, 12:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I had stents placed there and they were great.

One of the things that I've noticed here is that the doctors are wonderful. The problems seem to be with the support staffs. It seems that everyone complains bout them.
Both my doctors are from well known hospitals in the Boston area, came here for a better quality of life and better weather - but they did not bring their support staff with them and have to put up with locally trained.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 03-30-2015, 12:35 PM
Gold member

Do what we did in every other state we've lived in, in suburbs and small cities:

When in doubt or are dissatisfied, drive 20, 30, 40, or 50+ miles to larger medical centers and university hospital systems, as are available in Orlando, Gainesville, Tampa, Jacksonville, Miami, etc.

To us, it's no different than where we've lived before! Doctors and nurses are mostly excellent, but administrators that know nothing--and care not to know anything--about patient care can make a hospital a trainwreck.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:07 PM
Location: Manhattan, the Bronx, Eastern LI, Village of Woodbury

Calm down with the five question marks have a cup of tea, and consider what the good folks said above about the Villages Regional Hospital. I've used the ER as a walk in and twice as an ambulance patient. Terrific. No waiting in halls on gurneys. Dr and nurses right there doing what they're supposed to do…and then some. I've also been in the hospital once for a very extended stay. My condition was cured. My stay was excellent.

Do not be surprised to see your assigned doctors, and your own if he or she has privileges, visiting you at ten or eleven at night. They are dedicated. And Leesburg where I had a triple by-pass was excellent too.

I will admit for cancer surgery, I would seek second opinions at the med school centers.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Had 2 surgeries there no complaints at all both went well and had great service. Remember a few things, The Hospital doesn't only serve the residents of TV. This Hospital treats people without insurance. To many people use this for a Clinic we have several urgent cares for that. If you came from an area that had better medical care consider yourself lucky. My area on Long Island you had to pack your lunch or dinner. Thank goodness we had a 7/11 next door.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:14 PM
Gold member

I am going to be honest here even at the risk of being attacked. As someone who has had a lot of experience with the hospital (especially the last yr) with two parents living here (both in and out all yr) it is not good. Very poor care and if I was not up there all the time I may not have known. my dad was just admitted again this week after we waited in the emergency room from 730 pm until 400 am. ALWAYS check with people who are not in and out quickly but those of us who are in there often for long durations of time. After the experiences I have gone through I told my husband take me anywhere else other than the villages hospital
Old 03-30-2015, 01:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
Had 2 surgeries there no complaints at all both went well and had great service. Remember a few things, The Hospital doesn't only serve the residents of TV. This Hospital treats people without insurance. To many people use this for a Clinic we have several urgent cares for that. If you came from an area that had better medical care consider yourself lucky. My area on Long Island you had to pack your lunch or dinner. Thank goodness we had a 7/11 next door.
Unfortunately most urgent care centers do not provide care to patients without insurance, and hospitals cannot turn those patients away...hence the dilemma for hospitals and source of your concern.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:03 PM
Eternal Member

I have had surgery at 4 different hospitals since moving to Florida. I have no big complaints about any of them. I did have wonderful care in the Villages Hosp.
I worked at a very large hospital in Michigan. The stories here are no different than the stories were there or anywhere else in the world. There is good and bad everywhere. Just because someone has a bad experience, doesn't mean the next person will.
Everyone wants to think that whatever was by their house or in their town was the best anywhere no matter what it was. Pizza place, restaurant or hospital. No matter what it was, theirs is better.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:07 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie01 View Post
Just curious why you needed 5 question marks on the thread title and all of these question marks on your post ?
Old 03-30-2015, 03:19 PM
Sage

At my request my mother was taken to the ER in Leesburg rather than The Villages hospital. Admitted with an obstructed bowel, 95 years old, severe dementia. She was in the emergency room for over 24 hours because there were no beds. The records from the emergency room did not transfer up to the floor nurse and the only info they had to go on was an obstructed bowel nothing my mouth. They were unaware on the floor she had been given morphine in the ER. The dietician came in to find out what she likes to eat (nothing my mouth). I have never seen such a disaster in my life. Thank God I had someone who could immediately go to the hospital before I could drive from Georgia and I was there to advocate. She was admitted to hospice with no more information than an obstructed bowel - nothing by mouth. I would stay as far away from either of these hospitals if at all possible. If you have time to make it to Waterman do so, or at least Ocala.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:53 PM
Sage

I spent two nights two weeks ago in The Villages Hospital. Had major surgery. I saw only my own doctor (no staff doctors) every morning. Received excellent care by the nurses. Received my pain meds upon request with no problem. Nurses checked on me continuously. It did take them a while to get me a bed after my surgery. I spent about 5 hours in the recovery room because of this, but also received excellent care while there. Having visited several emergency rooms while in Ohio and Michigan I have had to wait many many hours to be seen there also so I think it is the same wherever you go with long waits in emergency rooms. I think it is hit and miss depending on how busy it is.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.