The Villages Hospital

Closed Thread
Old 03-31-2011, 07:13 PM
Gold member
Default Wait time in TVRH ER

Believe that if you are uncomfortable or in pain, you likely will not get seen as soon as someone in a life threatening situation. That being said,a 10-12 hour wait on a gurney in the ER hallway while they free up a bed seems a bit much.

If you go to Urgent Care Facility for a non life threatening situation and subsequently get sent to hospital, there is still no guarantee that you will have a short wait before being admitted.

I think it is a virtual certainty that if you call 911 and have shortness of breath or sign of stroke or heart attack you will be seen very soon after arriving at hospital. In these situations I don't think it is wise to take yourself to Urgent Care or drive to hospital. Call 911. They can start treating you before you arrive at ER
Old 03-31-2011, 09:25 PM
Default ER

In the three emergency rooms I have worked in the past, no employee would ever estimate how long a wait the patient would have. It depends on so many factors. The RED flags must stand out in understanding the severity. i believe it is all in how you describe your symptoms, severity, length of time you have been hurting. I want to give you an true example.

Two brothers were high on a scaffolding when they came in contact with electric wires. Their boss tried to knock them away to save their lives. We worked on the brothers desparately trying to save their lives. There was all this commmotion going on and most of the Er was filled . One demanded that he be seen immediately due to a fish hook caught in his face. The wives of the brothers were screaming and it was chaos. The Brothers died. They were young. When all was settled down and the ER was back to normal, a man walked up and asked to be seen. It was the brothers boss. His feet were burned because his shoes blew off trying to save the brothers! He was in severe pain but had been waiting patiently because he was not dying. He got it.

No one knows what is going on, when you are on the outside ,waiting to get inside the ER.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:39 PM

I don't think that the Urgent Care places are open all evening.
We are then stuck with the ER no?
Old 03-31-2011, 10:01 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default I am now working at TVRH

Monday and Tuesday I spent the whole day in orientation for my job as Chaplain at TVRH. I found out during that time what the cause of the wait time is there.

1. Some people use the ED as their own personal doctor, coming in with things that should be taken to an urgent care. This clogs things up.

2. And most importantly, for the past 4 months or so, the hospital has been over capacity. When the ICU beds fill up, potential ICU patients have to wait in the ED because they need such a high level of care. This takes up an ED room bed.

It is hard to have a hospital that can accomodate the low and the high seasons in a cost effective manner.
This hospital is a "not for profit" institution. I can assure you that it is not mismanagement. The current CEO and Board of Directors work very hard to trim any little bit of waste or unproductivity out of our system.

As you have read both here and in The Sun, CFHA petitioned for a new hospital down in the Brownswood area. Due to the number of days at overcapacity, the request was approved right away and not one has challenged it. That leaves us scrambling to get all our ducks in a row about one year before one would have expected the approval.

When the new hospital opens it will add 90 more beds and will have the space to expand 4 or 5 times that big.

As are many of the churches in the area, TVRH is suffering growing pangs as The Villages grows out so quickly.

By the way, I took hubby there for dehydration a week after we arrived. We were seen within 1/2 hour. The length of time we were there was due to the number of bags of fluid he needed. Our care was very good.

This is a situation that is vexing to all concerned.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 03-31-2011, 10:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by whartonjelly View Post
In the three emergency rooms I have worked in the past, no employee would ever estimate how long a wait the patient would have. It depends on so many factors. The RED flags must stand out in understanding the severity. i believe it is all in how you describe your symptoms, severity, length of time you have been hurting. I want to give you an true example.

Two brothers were high on a scaffolding when they came in contact with electric wires. Their boss tried to knock them away to save their lives. We worked on the brothers desparately trying to save their lives. There was all this commmotion going on and most of the Er was filled . One demanded that he be seen immediately due to a fish hook caught in his face. The wives of the brothers were screaming and it was chaos. The Brothers died. They were young. When all was settled down and the ER was back to normal, a man walked up and asked to be seen. It was the brothers boss. His feet were burned because his shoes blew off trying to save the brothers! He was in severe pain but had been waiting patiently because he was not dying. He got it.

No one knows what is going on, when you are on the outside ,waiting to get inside the ER.
You are a good nurse.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:08 PM

Are there any urgent care facilities open all night? Or at least late?
Old 04-01-2011, 05:11 PM
Default About The Hospital

We have some friends who moved to TV in 2005. The wife worked for a doctor's office here in Montgomery. Anyway, she said part of the problem is TVRH is not just for TV residents, but must take anyone in the surrounding area. Like here at the ER, as another post stated, many people use it as "their doctor" and go there with a bad cold or a slight fever.

Our friends stated they go to the hospital in Leesburg when they have to use a hospital.

It is a baffling situation for sure, and is certainly frustrating when you need care immediately.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:42 PM

I want to work there. I toured it and was impressed. We put our house up this Monday!!!!
I am optimistic that it will sell soon. Good location, within a mile of the Hospital, a park is visible from our all our back windows , the pond is behind us and down a hill. It is beautiful here and we bought this place because of the beautiful view and convenience to meeting all of our needs! Swimming, tennis, football, soccer, picnics, trails, and bicycling.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW

Good luck with the sale of the house. Looking forward to seeing you around the hospital.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 04-01-2011, 10:45 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191
Default Tvrh .....

Many times I've waited and waited in ER, 8 hrs the first time when I first moved here. Next time 6 hr wait. I swore never again. I am a cancer patient and moved from Boston where the hospitals are some of the best. My expectations here in FL were not expected to be as good, but never expected TVRH to be so horrible.

One more time my oncologist sent me to TVRH because my blood count was extremely low and I was so weak I could hardly move. I came in the ER in a wheelchair and waited 1/2 hr and then questioned how long this wait is expected to be since I was THE ONLY patient waiting in ER!!!! She told me not long now.

Another half hour went by and by this time I could hardly hold my head up so weak and still no other patients in the ER waiting room. I went to the desk and told her I has leaving and to cancel these reservations. THEN I get told, "Oh don't go; there are six beds empty and we're just waiting for them to be sanitized!!!! With that I swore I would NEVER go there again!!!

Leesburg is so much better than TVRH. When I first moved to the TV, TVRH turned me away after waiting EIGHT HOURS in ER to be seen and then tell me that they are not facilitated to handle a patient with a double port imbedded for infusions and that I would have to go to Leesburg Hosp.

These are just two incidents that I have experienced and there are a number of other incidents that I could go on and on, but I think that you get my drift.

My question is.....with Moffitt here and no staff from Moffitt to handle the influx, if TVRH can't handle the ER now, how could they ever handle the Moffitt patients? This seems to be a disaster waiting to happen. Thank goodness I've found my niche with Ocala Oncology who are wonderful at their satellite office on Rte 441 across from Walmart in Oak Park.

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 04-04-2011, 05:30 PM

Many of these stories are quite troublesome. It seems that there is a bad situation at the ER and needs immediate management attention.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:40 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by same View Post
Why not just go to one of the "urgent care" facilities in The Villages, and if they can't take care of the problem, they will call 911 and you will be taken to the hospital and probably be seen right away.
ALOT of times....and I'm not reading all the posts here...people go to the ER when in fact they should have gone to Urgent Care first. Up north, where I'm from, this is what is encouraged. "IF" you need to be admitted then they'll send you over to the ER/hospital and then the "big guns" get involved. So many go for what they deem "important" and then have to wait. For instance===a few years ago my spouse had an incident where he needed medical attention. We were in a strange town and Urgent Care is where we first went. This was what we needed to do. They said they couldn't take care of us and we'd need to get to the hospital ER. When we got there..."spouse's" case wasn't "LIFE Threatening" so while they ministered to us, we had a loooonnnggg wait before we really had the care we were there for. BUT there were car accidents and other more serious things happening. The triage was being done in order to the seriousness of the cases. We, as lay-people, don't see that thus our frustration. I've heard VERY good things about TVH and I'm keeping a very open mind to that report. I will say in our case (up north) after it being said and done...our situation was cared for and eventually we were sent on our way.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

And another thing that sometimes happens and I am not saying anyone on this forum is guilty of it.

If a person had first seen their family doctor, and not allowed their foot to abcess, their fever to go on, their painful foot to continue for several hours after a fall, their cough to worsen...

Than they would have not had to go to emergency...

That being said....the town is growing fast with two to four hundred homes a month being sold...so perhaps that second hospital is needed.

I wonder how the recently announced association with the University of Southern Florida will help....?
Old 04-04-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvriley2000 View Post
Last week i came down with kidney stones, let me say they are very very painful. The attack came on fast. With the pain i went to the Villages Hospital. I was told there is a five hour wait in the emergancy room yes 5 hours.

I drove to Leesburg hospital and it was almost an hour. I can"t believe five hour wait. I was in buisness for years and this sounds like mismanagement. With the amount of people and the age in the villages its just not right. Befor i decided to tell this i called to se how much of a wait the other night. I didn"t get the answer i was hoping for. It was the same about five hours. Been talking with nieghbors and seems people know this is more common than not.

I enjoy the Villages and how nice it is But know i am scared to get hurt here with this situation. Would like to hear from others.
The problem with ER's is the fact that they are "for emergencies" and too many people use ER's when they should be going to an Urgent Care.
One of our loved ones works in an ER in another state and she said that it infuriates docs when people come in for simple procedures that should be taken care of by their primary physicians or at an Urgent Care. Trying to filter through all the minor problems, causes long waits, at times, for true emergencies.

411 Urgent Care on 441 across from Wal Mart is open all night and they are
friendly and efficient. Please pass it on.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:07 PM
Sage

Seems strange that Leesburg and TRVH would be so dissimilar in their ED's. Same company so you would think same policies.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.