The Villages Hospital

Closed Thread
Old 04-04-2011, 10:09 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyg View Post
Are there any urgent care facilities open all night? Or at least late?
Billyg...I believe the Urgent Care Facility on 441 across from Walmart is open until midnight. On second thought...I just found the newspaper article I had clipped that indicates that facility being open 24/7. their phone # is 693-2340 The location in the ad indicates Spruce Creek Plaza and like I mentioned, it's across from Walmart.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:18 PM
Sage
Default Pressure from all sides

Friends who are ER drs. and nurses often talk of how elderly patients are in multi-system failure and have so many complex things to work up that they are in ER for hours and hours and hours. Also, they talk a lot about how they have to wait and wait for labs and things to come back from other departments....and sluggish computer systems that lag behind the drs.' work pace seem to be the norm. When all the information is in the computer (as is the case most places now), and the software is slow, slow, slow, they can't access the needed info fast enough, and then other depts. like lab and radiology etc. often don't get results back to them in a reasonable time. And then they have to wait for people upstairs to get people admitted and out of the ER when everything is full.

It doesn't sound easy at all to me, but people often demand service as fast as McDonalds. Traumas, heart attacks, strokes etc. cannot be viewed like serving burgers.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:54 AM
Veteran member

Sounds like they need an urgent care attached to TVRH.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Seems strange that Leesburg and TRVH would be so dissimilar in their ED's. Same company so you would think same policies.
I wonder if the budgets are the same since Leesburg is well established and TV Hospital keeps outgrowing their staffing budgets. Also i keep looking at how many Nurses positions are open.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevatorman View Post
Sounds like they need an urgent care attached to TVRH.
They did this in my old home town, now people don't go to their primary Care Physician or even establish one. The Urgent Care is abused and now long waits there also. My brother practices there and also a family practice associated with the hospital too. He says that people just use urgent care. Now there is a way to find out about the drug seekers from a program. They can track all the scripts a person has attempted to obtain by going to ERs and the Urgent care. These are the patients tying time up faking pain. Also the new computer technology takes up valuable time verses a quick note and on to the next patient.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:21 AM

A back up in he ED usually reflects not only the state of the hospital, but many times, of the community. Depending on what level of trama they are certified at, they may be mandated to hold so many beds available for an actual emergency, especially if other area hospitals are on divert. Another scenario is that all in-patient beds are full. It wasn't uncommon at our hospital that the full work-up was done in the ED and the patient was admitted and discharged right from the emergency room. Another factor is the number of nurses staffing the beds. There might be beds open, but if there's no one to staff them, no patient gets them. A 5 hour wait to me seems pretty average.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:32 AM
Platinum member

My wife worked as a nurse for over 27 years and I have learned a lot from her about not just letting the hospital staff just push you aside. She has always gone to Dr. visits with me and I with her. There is always something you forget and the other person will remember. It is also a good practice that if you care about someone, never leave them alone in the hospital for very long. Patients are in pain and on medications and may not know exactly what is being told to them or what is going on. It is always advisable to have someone else there.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 04-09-2011, 08:23 AM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James
Default Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvriley2000 View Post
Last week i came down with kidney stones, let me say they are very very painful. The attack came on fast. With the pain i went to the Villages Hospital. I was told there is a five hour wait in the emergancy room yes 5 hours.

I drove to Leesburg hospital and it was almost an hour. I can"t believe five hour wait. I was in buisness for years and this sounds like mismanagement. With the amount of people and the age in the villages its just not right. Befor i decided to tell this i called to se how much of a wait the other night. I didn"t get the answer i was hoping for. It was the same about five hours. Been talking with nieghbors and seems people know this is more common than not.

I enjoy the Villages and how nice it is But know i am scared to get hurt here with this situation. Would like to hear from others.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Having worked in the healthcare field for over 40 years (yikes!), I'm going to offer some advice to y'all. No matter what healthcare facility you are at, you need an advocate to fight for you. When I started working, it was about the patient....and I loved every minute. When I retired, it was about the paperwork. The patient was on the back burner.......very sad. I was so glad to retire because of all the changes in the healthcare field.........and I'm sorry to say it, but it is going to go from bad to worse. YOU NEED AN ADVOCATE TO FIGHT FOR YOU!
Old 04-09-2011, 11:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimdawg View Post
Having worked in the healthcare field for over 40 years (yikes!), I'm going to offer some advice to y'all. No matter what healthcare facility you are at, you need an advocate to fight for you. When I started working, it was about the patient....and I loved every minute. When I retired, it was about the paperwork. The patient was on the back burner.......very sad. I was so glad to retire because of all the changes in the healthcare field.........and I'm sorry to say it, but it is going to go from bad to worse. YOU NEED AN ADVOCATE TO FIGHT FOR YOU!
Excuse my ignorance but could you explain what you mean? If I'm going to go to the ED I need an advocate with me? I think I missed your point.

I'm a RN in an urgent care facility here in MA. We take the strain off of our local hospital ED. Our providers take care of everything from the everyday cold to broken bones to foot care to dermatology to lab work etc. etc. I apologize to patients if their wait is longer than 30 minutes. Yes there is paperwork (actually all computer work now) but we do a great job. Are there frustrations? Of course, but you're dealing with ill people. In our state everyone must have some sort of insurance coverage (mandated by state law) so perhaps it is easier than FLA.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
I don't quite know what you mean by advocate - if you mean a friend or relative to go with you, I agree, you shouldn't go by yourself. If you mean some kind of legal advocate, I think that would just slow things down.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
I don't quite know what you mean by advocate - if you mean a friend or relative to go with you, I agree, you shouldn't go by yourself. If you mean some kind of legal advocate, I think that would just slow things down.
```````````````
Sorry I wasn't clear. And.........I should have added IMHO. No.........I'm not talking about a legal advocate. I'm talking a relative or friend.....someone who has your best interest at heart. ( I probably need someone to fight for me now -an advocate- as I have a Buffalo headcold & probably shouldn't have written what I did.) Anyway....yes, you need someone with you. Generally, you're not at your mental best when you're ill. Perhaps it is different in Mass....and hopefully, in Florida.....but in New York, the Health Care Professionals are so bogged down with paperwork that the patient often isn't coming first. I'm particularly talking about hospitals ,nursing homes...and even private MD's, Physical Therapists, Visiting Nurses, etc. In New York, the Health Care Professionals have to justify everything they do to the insurance companies to get reimbursed. This requires reams of paperwork whether it be computer or hand. Sorry for any confusion...........and my advice was truly IMHO. Back to the Kleenex!
Old 04-09-2011, 03:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
```````````````
Sorry I wasn't clear. And.........I should have added IMHO. No.........I'm not talking about a legal advocate. I'm talking a relative or friend.....someone who has your best interest at heart. ( I probably need someone to fight for me now -an advocate- as I have a Buffalo headcold & probably shouldn't have written what I did.) Anyway....yes, you need someone with you. Generally, you're not at your mental best when you're ill. Perhaps it is different in Mass....and hopefully, in Florida.....but in New York, the Health Care Professionals are so bogged down with paperwork that the patient often isn't coming first. I'm particularly talking about hospitals ,nursing homes...and even private MD's, Physical Therapists, Visiting Nurses, etc. In New York, the Health Care Professionals have to justify everything they do to the insurance companies to get reimbursed. This requires reams of paperwork whether it be computer or hand. Sorry for any confusion...........and my advice was truly IMHO. Back to the Kleenex!
I understood just what you meant SwimDawg. Once after Helene had a heart surgery, she was almost mistaken for someone else. They read your wrist tags and our last name was similar to another child who had just had heart surgery too. The other child was getting tachy from low potassium so a shot was ordered. I was glad I was there. I wouldn't have been anywhere else.

Our ex son in law was hospitalized last summer for kidney stones and was on some really heavy pain medication. I stayed with him because his parents are gone. You do need someone to watch out for you because frequently you are in pain or drugged and a couple of times his breathing was very strange due to the heavy meds. A person who cares can even answer for you about menu and little things.

Someone who knows you makes you feel safe and can help the nursing staff get ice and water and other things that do not require expert care.

Plus, when you are feeling better, they can sneak in a cheeseburger.

I certainly understood your post Swimdawg, and you made many excellent points.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:02 PM
Sage
Default Yes, an advocate is needed

I've needed an advocate many times in various hospitalizations.....

An advocate to go to the nurses' station to speak for you when you've had the call button/light on for 45 minutes and nobody has come in to see what's wrong;

An advocate to speak for you when you're drugged up on pain meds and can't talk right;

An advocate to tell certain nurses that you are a human being who has a name they should know and use, and that you are not just a lump of flesh and bone lying there;

An advocate to tell somebody in charge that you've been lying there writhing in pain and the meds have worn off and it was time for the next dose two hours ago.

An advocate to go out of the exam room and ask for a blanket for you because the exam room temperature is 50 degrees and you have been sitting on the end of the exam table wearing nothing but a wax paper hankie that you have to clutch across your chest, while you're clutching the bottom piece of wax paper between your legs and are trying to keep warm but your teeth are chattering and you can't go out into the hall naked to ask for help.

An advocate to call the doctor's office and tell him/her that the staff is doing things contrary to what the dr. has ordered.

An advocate to call the dr. and tell him that the first year intern's skills and sensitivity toward the patient are so lacking that you wouldn't let him/her treat your dog.

It's not the norm that these and other aggravations happen, but when it does, it is a miserable time in the hospital and you completely lose confidence in their ability to get you well enough to go home eventually.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
```````````````
Sorry I wasn't clear. And.........I should have added IMHO. No.........I'm not talking about a legal advocate. I'm talking a relative or friend.....someone who has your best interest at heart.
Agreed.

As a nurse I try to be an advocate for my patients but it doesn't always work that way.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191
Default Choices...

The expansion of TV community has nothing to do with TVRH's problems since these problems have been around long BEFORE South of Rte 466 was built!! Was also BEFORE the TVRH building addition!!

Now there's Moffitt coming in and TVRH can't even handle what they have! And, it's TV who is responsible for staffing Moffitt at TV. Not very encouraging. Can only see this going from bad to worse.

Leesburg Hospital is EXCELLENT, as well as Ocala Regional. These are better choices for hospitals than considering TVRH.

I speak from experience as well as IMHO.

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.