The Villages Regional Hospital Any opinions?

Closed Thread
Old 01-14-2012, 07:17 PM

I won't go into detail re: our experience (s) with TV hospital but I will say that if we had any needs for hospital care we 'definitely' would try to get to Shands in Gainesville or certainly another alternative.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:39 PM
Email Reported As Spam

An earlier poster hit the nail on the head pointing to the cause as bad hospital administration/management. One would have to agree that doctors , nurses and supporting staffs all have good intentions. However poor organization and planning by hospital administration and. or insuffient staffing can great nightmares for otherwise good people.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:03 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post

Not for nothing Grobb but it's tough to take you seriously with your spelling, grammar and sentence structure (or lack thereof).
!
...............HUH ??????

The ex-CEO of Ford Motor Credit could not write a sentence properly.
He was unable to comprehend the written words of others, due to Dyslexia.
His talents were in math, verbal communications, social skills and leadership.

GROBB ...please continue to share your thoughts. I value your input....
..............Welcome to Talk of The Villages

....IMHO, the VALUE is IN the COFFEE, NOT the CUP.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:13 PM
Platinum member

Did I not read that there was a change of administrator quite recently?
Old 01-14-2012, 11:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichVisitor View Post
By far the worst hospital I've ever experienced. If my parents in The Villages need emergency health care again it will not be at the Villages Hospital. My mother was sent to the ER a couple days after Christmas 2011, after being checked by the Urgent Care MD. who ordered many tests and insisted they be done through the ER. Which then resulted in 9 hours in the waiting room.

Finally checked by an MD.... ok now wait to see the Cardiologist.... 24 hrs later ok now wait to see the Neurologist who may be in today or tomorrow.... turned out to be late the next day.... all tests turned out ok, then spent half a day begging to get a doctor to release her. Zero reason to be there on the last day, just a complete lack of a doctor available to release her.

9 hrs in the waiting room, 2 1/2 days in the hospital, and zero accomplished.

I've experienced professional hospitals with first class health care. This one is an absolute joke.

Never again.
Why would an Urgent care center (where they can do most if not all those tests) say that she need to go to an ER for the tests? What urgent care was that? I know that premier medical would not have done that unless it was an absolute concern on their part that her case was very dire and needed attention they could not provide. They have X-ray, CT, labs, etc. etc.

Yes I'm defensive because I work there but more importantly I know how triage works and I've done triage for 2 years. If it did indeed take 9 hours then there was a whole other story that you are not divulging.

You say 'released'? So she was admitted? If not then they couldn't 'release' her. You can always leave anytime you want. A hospital would never admit a patient without cause since they wouldn't be reimbursed. I think the story is embellished?

And I hope you post again since the one thing that we see a whole lot on this forum is people who are brand new posting VERY negative stories about some element of The Villages. I, for one, take them with a huge grain of salt!
Old 01-15-2012, 05:54 AM

Russ, I am not a brand new member on this forum. I am probably one of the older ones. My husband had a very similar experience last March. It took from 5:00 PM until 11:00 PM to get him a room from the ER. It was determined that his problem was not heart-related and at 11:00 AM the next day, the Cardiologist said he could be released. At 8:00 PM that day, he was finally given a release. In the meantime, they continued to treat him for heart issues; i.e. nitroglycerin patch. He did fill in the survey and asked for a call from someone in charge. After many, many calls from him, he was finally able to get a meeting with a Vice President, where he offered his complaints. A lot of good tht did. It sounds like nothing has changed since then.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Why would an Urgent care center (where they can do most if not all those tests) say that she need to go to an ER for the tests? What urgent care was that? I know that premier medical would not have done that unless it was an absolute concern on their part that her case was very dire and needed attention they could not provide. They have X-ray, CT, labs, etc. etc.

Yes I'm defensive because I work there but more importantly I know how triage works and I've done triage for 2 years. If it did indeed take 9 hours then there was a whole other story that you are not divulging.

You say 'released'? So she was admitted? If not then they couldn't 'release' her. You can always leave anytime you want. A hospital would never admit a patient without cause since they wouldn't be reimbursed. I think the story is embellished?

And I hope you post again since the one thing that we see a whole lot on this forum is people who are brand new posting VERY negative stories about some element of The Villages. I, for one, take them with a huge grain of salt!
Would suggest that there is more to the story than we have seen here. I served for 17yrs on the board of a 265 bed community hospital in Md.
Heard complaints about our ER almost every weekend from golfing buddies and other social contacts. The fact is that ERs may present the most difficult management situation in the universe short of combat. They are presented with bad situations(the sick and injured) 24/7/365. Federal laws dictate that none can be turned away and triage is essential in order for the system to opperate under the tremendous numbers of people who present for care.

Not defending TV hospital although my personal experiences with the ER have been satisfactory and what I could reasonably expect. I for one would like to hear more input on the facts in this case. Probably not going to happen , because of privacy issues.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default ER

An ER is just that,An Emergency Room. Needing test done is NOT an Emergency. If the ER has 20 beds and they're all full of Non Emergency patients then where does the real Emergency patient go. If you don't have a primary Dr then please get one. After riding an Ambulance on LI for many years I can tell you the ER is NOT a walk in clinic. Any Dr that sends people to an ER for test should loose his liscense. An ER is staffed with 1 or 2 Dr's per shift.The triage nurse asseses you and decides the urgency of your need. If the ER Dr sees you he'll suggest a treatment as to your condition. If it's heart and you don't have a Cardio Dr. they have to call one down if there is one in the Hospital. It's not the ER Drs fault he did his job. Every person living here should have their own Drs. who can be called in an Emergency and they should be able to practice in this Hospital if not please get them. An ER works both ways. Go there sometime and see how many people when they go there are really NOT an emergency and are there because they don't have or couldn't get a Dr appointment. It's not a clinic it's an ER.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:57 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
An ER is just that,An Emergency Room. Needing test done is NOT an Emergency. If the ER has 20 beds and they're all full of Non Emergency patients then where does the real Emergency patient go. If you don't have a primary Dr then please get one. After riding an Ambulance on LI for many years I can tell you the ER is NOT a walk in clinic. Any Dr that sends people to an ER for test should loose his liscense. An ER is staffed with 1 or 2 Dr's per shift.The triage nurse asseses you and decides the urgency of your need. If the ER Dr sees you he'll suggest a treatment as to your condition. If it's heart and you don't have a Cardio Dr. they have to call one down if there is one in the Hospital. It's not the ER Drs fault he did his job. Every person living here should have their own Drs. who can be called in an Emergency and they should be able to practice in this Hospital if not please get them. An ER works both ways. Go there sometime and see how many people when they go there are really NOT an emergency and are there because they don't have or couldn't get a Dr appointment. It's not a clinic it's an ER.
Very well Said!!!
Old 01-15-2012, 01:28 PM
Gold member

In my case the Urgent care doc determined that I needed some serious attention right away, that's why was sent to ER, in hospital for 8 days so I was quite sick. Primary care docs don't come to hospitals anymore, they're all hospitalists who probably have a list of 200 patients to see.
Please Russ, don't start critizing us patients til you know the whole story which of course I don't want to explain here, believe me I needed to be in a hospital and The Villages Hospital fell very short caring for me and my issues. I'm still dealing with the issues and had to go back to premier urgent care for further treatment. I'm not totally bashing the hospital because I know there are many good people there doing a good job. I'm just so sad that I had a very bad experience there.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.