The Villages Regional Hospital Jammed

Closed Thread
Old 01-31-2018, 02:30 AM
Sage

Here's a scenario: You are ready to be seen, be it in the ER, the room OR even to be discharged. THEN an emergency arrives that takes presidence to you and "they" have to rush to take care of that. The doctor may have signed off on you to leave BUT the nurse is also involved in this (at least she was when I've been there). She's the one who brings the papers to be signed and to give instruction etc. BUT someone down the hall has a life-threatening incident happen. We, who have NO medical knowleg or training are often so quick to judge what is going on and it becomes a preception. This hospital is a "mirror" of what's happening nationally right now. I saw on the news where in one community they had tents set up outside to take the over-flow. Would you want that? With the flu....be seen at an Urgent Care or a clinic!!! So many folks think they just have a bad cold and it's NOT that. The flu is serious this year (I had it along with pneumonia) but I went in TWICE to see my doctor and to be treated. IF it's nighttime, call the clinic number and speak to the doctor on call. Sometimes they may tell you "go to the ER"...but "IF" you do, be prepared to wait. You may feel like "death" but the hospital is there treating accident victims, heart attacks, strokes and more.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Here's a scenario: You are ready to be seen, be it in the ER, the room OR even to be discharged. THEN an emergency arrives that takes presidence to you and "they" have to rush to take care of that. The doctor may have signed off on you to leave BUT the nurse is also involved in this (at least she was when I've been there). She's the one who brings the papers to be signed and to give instruction etc. BUT someone down the hall has a life-threatening incident happen. We, who have NO medical knowleg or training are often so quick to judge what is going on and it becomes a preception. This hospital is a "mirror" of what's happening nationally right now. I saw on the news where in one community they had tents set up outside to take the over-flow. Would you want that? With the flu....be seen at an Urgent Care or a clinic!!! So many folks think they just have a bad cold and it's NOT that. The flu is serious this year (I had it along with pneumonia) but I went in TWICE to see my doctor and to be treated. IF it's nighttime, call the clinic number and speak to the doctor on call. Sometimes they may tell you "go to the ER"...but "IF" you do, be prepared to wait. You may feel like "death" but the hospital is there treating accident victims, heart attacks, strokes and more.
Excellent presentation of what could be going on in and around a given situation.

However, the difference being that the discharge delay issues are not random or occasional....the means and methods currently employed are the norm. There is, without a doubt, room for improvement.

No doubt what so ever.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Excellent presentation of what could be going on in and around a given situation.

However, the difference being that the discharge delay issues are not random or occasional....the means and methods currently employed are the norm. There is, without a doubt, room for improvement.

No doubt what so ever.
Still I agree...no doubt! I "JUST" had a call from TVRH for a synopsis of my "visit". I did tell her my care was very good BUT that they do need improvement and I told her they are short staffed. We'll see! I'm going to write a letter as well as an e-mail when I feel better as well.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:05 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,312 Times in 545 Posts
Default Excellent advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Simple answer-----FEAR

Not so simple solution------According to the CDC, the highest year for adult flu vaccination in the last decade was 2009-10, with only 43.6% getting their flu shot. Want to SIGNIFICANTLY lower your chance of getting the flu? Want to avoid the crowded ER? Want to save the cost of doctor, ER visits and expensive antiviral meds? GET YOUR FLU SHOT, EVERY YEAR!. No, it is not 100% effective, but it is still your best chance to avoid the flu.
I am amazed at the number of people that will not get the flu shot or pneumonia shot and it’s free to those on Medicare. Many have read “Something” about the so called side effects and have become paranoid about vaccinations in general. I understand if you do get the flu that recovery is better if you have the flu shot.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
I am amazed at the number of people that will not get the flu shot or pneumonia shot and it’s free to those on Medicare. Many have read “Something” about the so called side effects and have become paranoid about vaccinations in general. I understand if you do get the flu that recovery is better if you have the flu shot.
All the medical info we are overloaded with creates fear and confusion.
Most medicinal warnings and side effects are cofined to less than 1% of the using population.

What's the safest (?) drug in everybody's medicine cabinet?
Tylenol or it's generic....could be.
Just google side effects of tylenol and be prepared to be shocked........

Yes there are or will be some that are affected whether the tylenol or the flu shot or other meds..........the rest? The 98%.......are in less pain and much less likely to get the flu.

Perfect examples of too much information (most of which is only of value to an experiment conducting, thesis writing, science study group).

IMHO!
Old 01-31-2018, 03:45 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancle704 View Post
What if the admitting doctor was the ER doctor?
I believe the ER doctor is the one who admits and discharges you from the ER. If discharged to the hospital instead of home, then the doctor who admits you to the hsoptial becomes your discharging doctor.

So there may be two (and more) doctors involved in your care.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:54 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby10 View Post
Others who already have immune deficiencies may find going to the ER to be appropriate, but in general it is not an ER situation.
Problem is that we are not nurses or doctors so we cannot diagnose ourselves. We need to go to ER or someplace to be told we will be ok after all. We need all the reassurance we can get.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:25 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

The thing is it can be hard to know. A long time close friend of mine went to his doctor’s office. Back and neck aching for a while, feeling weak. As soon as the nurse checked his blood pressure she called the paramedics who rushed him to hospital. Turned out to be sepsis and staph infections in his neck and lower back. Two surgeries which could have turned him into a quadriplegic but were successful and weeks of intravenous antibiotics later he has survived but will never regain the health and strength he had. He put off getting things checked out too long when they were life threatening conditions.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 01-31-2018 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPutnam1863 View Post
I believe the ER doctor is the one who admits and discharges you from the ER. If discharged to the hospital instead of home, then the doctor who admits you to the hsoptial becomes your discharging doctor.

So there may be two (and more) doctors involved in your care.

There could be far more than two. Your attending physician in the ER is responsible for coordinating all aspects of your care while you are there - unless, of course, your primary care physician takes over your care at your request. The same works on the inpatient side where a hospitalist would be assigned to care for you...unless.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-31-2018, 05:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
There could be far more than two. Your attending physician in the ER is responsible for coordinating all aspects of your care while you are there - unless, of course, your primary care physician takes over your care at your request. The same works on the inpatient side where a hospitalist would be assigned to care for you...unless.....

My point is that nothing is written in concrete. There are some generalities though.

Be your own advocate and do your best to have a physician who will be your advocate as well. My PCP knows where I stand on certain issues. Even better, my wife knows where I stand on almost everything.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
My point is that nothing is written in concrete. There are some generalities though.

Be your own advocate and do your best to have a physician who will be your advocate as well. My PCP knows where I stand on certain issues. Even better, my wife knows where I stand on almost everything.
I'm wondering if you could give some general topics of "certain issues" for those of us who might end up in the hospital in the future. not being in the medical field, and neither of us having been hospitalized for anything serious, we're really in the dark about this.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPutnam1863 View Post
Problem is that we are not nurses or doctors so we cannot diagnose ourselves. We need to go to ER or someplace to be told we will be ok after all. We need all the reassurance we can get.
I'm not saying to not get yourself checked out, just that the ER doesn't have to be the first route to take. Be proactive for one thing - don't wait until you're so ill, or that the symptoms have been going on for so long, that they do turn into something serious as one poster stated. First line might be your PCP or an urgent care if you are not in an immediate life threatening state. Sometimes I think people wait too long before getting checked out and then it can become much more complicated and possibly life threatening.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I'm wondering if you could give some general topics of "certain issues" for those of us who might end up in the hospital in the future. not being in the medical field, and neither of us having been hospitalized for anything serious, we're really in the dark about this.

Oh wow! CF, this is a really difficult request for me. Without some detail I’m at a loss right now. Let me see if I can entice Golfing Eagles to get involved in this discussion. He is the epitome of a medical practitioner; I’m more of the process/facility consultant.

GE - can you help out here?

Old 01-31-2018, 08:30 PM
Sage

Got that publication that's dropped in the driveway and it gives the guidelines to Urgent Care vs ER.....Some folks tend to disregard that though. I wish this site had a like for those that have common sense responses!!!
Old 01-31-2018, 09:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Oh wow! CF, this is a really difficult request for me. Without some detail I’m at a loss right now. Let me see if I can entice Golfing Eagles to get involved in this discussion. He is the epitome of a medical practitioner; I’m more of the process/facility consultant.

GE - can you help out here?

I'm tellin' ya - you both need to get over to that hospital and straighten that place out!

Seriously, TOTV and TV in general are fortunate to have men of your caliber and experience as resources. I've often wondered myself what sort of healthcare discussions a group of retired professionals could offer TV residents about general topics of concern. CFrance may be onto something here.
Closed Thread

Tags
flu, people, room, regional, night

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.