Virus ... should we just chuck in the towel

Closed Thread
Old 10-11-2020, 11:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts
Default Virus ... should we just chuck in the towel

Out and about this past few days I am coming to the conclusion that trying to fight this virus is a losing battle.

We, my little family, are doing our part in every way possible, masks, social distancing, dining out or take out, no small groups indoors. But, this weekend I noticed more and more people becoming truly belligerent over the masking for shopping, i.e. WalMart yesterday ... young couple absolutely refusing to wear a mask and just pushed right into the store saying "you cannot take away my civil rights". People, mostly elderly men, in Publix without masks and not socially distancing to cash out. Today at P;aneras in SLS people not wearing masks and not distancing, and then throw in the crazy woman who was screaming about politics to everyone who would stop and listen.

I am sick and tired of this awful situation and am suggesting, we just give up and let nature take its course. If someone is sure that the virus is a hoax and will not kill anyone, let them have at it and cull the herd that way. The rest of us who do want to live without catching this virus can go on our merry way protecting ourselves.

What say you ..... for or against with good reasons.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 10-11-2020, 11:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Out and about this past few days I am coming to the conclusion that trying to fight this virus is a losing battle.

We, my little family, are doing our part in every way possible, masks, social distancing, dining out or take out, no small groups indoors. But, this weekend I noticed more and more people becoming truly belligerent over the masking for shopping, i.e. WalMart yesterday ... young couple absolutely refusing to wear a mask and just pushed right into the store saying "you cannot take away my civil rights". People, mostly elderly men, in Publix without masks and not socially distancing to cash out. Today at P;aneras in SLS people not wearing masks and not distancing, and then throw in the crazy woman who was screaming about politics to everyone who would stop and listen.

I am sick and tired of this awful situation and am suggesting, we just give up and let nature take its course. If someone is sure that the virus is a hoax and will not kill anyone, let them have at it and cull the herd that way. The rest of us who do want to live without catching this virus can go on our merry way protecting ourselves.

As usual, I agree with you but I would have phrased it a little more gently.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,016 Times in 5,320 Posts

Most people are behaving.

This morning everyone in Big Lots and mostly everyone at Walmarts are masked up
Old 10-11-2020, 02:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

stay the course...this isn't going to last forever

continue to take control of your life/life choices....do what you feel comfortable doing

avoid those places where you know there will be people there that are not playing it as safe as you are
Old 10-11-2020, 03:41 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

I agree but isn’t your third paragraph pretty much what’s going on now or am I misunderstanding?
Old 10-11-2020, 03:49 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,376 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:

Old 10-11-2020, 04:04 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

...after reading your post, one phrase immediately came to mind - 'roll with the punches'. Life always presents those inevitable punches.

That's exactly what we've been doing since March. Life's not over, simply different. I do understand that it's easier for us to roll with those punches. Retired. Live in The Villages. Financially OK. Family settled and healthy. All healthy.

But the "rolling" included canceling plans, esp travel. Less activities. Less friends. Less entertainment out. Less fun.

The impact has been so great on so many worldwide. And it's not over. yet. We do have faith that medicines and healthcare have greatly improved since March. And that vaccines WILL be available within months. And that we will be inoculated in time NOT to get COVID.

So, until then, we will continue to roll with any punches that come our way. And live life to the fullest we can. period.
Old 10-11-2020, 04:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Covid fatigue I’m guessing. The older ones are suicidal, the younger ones are tired of caring. And “if the President can survive it then so can I” thinking.

There is only so much you can do to help other people, and only if they want it in the first place.

Last edited by Velvet; 10-11-2020 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:23 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:

I have said it before and I will say it again — we are finding out who we really are and we are finding out who other people really are.

It is not just the aggravation of having to dodge barefaced, angry-looking strangers in grocery stores. It is also the bizarre behavior of people we know — or thought we knew.

In my northern life, I have been a part of a loosely connected social group of women for the past few years. We have been able to get together outside this summer with proper social distancing. We could all scoot our lawn chairs around until we felt OK.

One of the women phoned me for a normal reason, but half way through the conversation she suddenly launched into a harangue about the virus being a hoax and how stupid masks are — and then she fevered up into a creepy ode to the source of her disinformation.

I did not argue with her. I knew there was no point. I simply wrote her off. I figure if she considers me to be disposable, I will not feel bad about disposing of having her in my life, by backing away — backing up, both figuratively and literally.

She has no idea though where I have placed her in my thinking. Actually, that makes me feel kind of guilty, not because I am finished with her but because I did not speak up. I feel guilty because I am so good at the suburban social dance. Damn.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 10-12-2020 at 01:31 AM.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,437 Times in 3,081 Posts

Quote:

I would only be "okay" with that if insurance companies refuse to cover anyone with COVID-19 if they didn't have any masks with them (in their glove compartment, in their purses, hanging from the rear view mirror, on the seat, in the house, anything). You can't prove that they weren't wearing a mask when they contracted the virus. But you can prove lack of personal responsibility if they don't even own a mask.

If people want to be responsible for their own health, I say have at it. Just don't expect my tax dollars to pay for your medical care when you screw up.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Went to Brownwood tonight, for dinner. Spent about 2 hours with a multi course meal. Restaurant had customers, but not overly busy.

But what we did notice was the lack of people at the square listening to music. There were about 30 when we first got to the restaurant, all social distancing. When we left there were fewer. A very helpful ticket taker, asked as we strolled around the square, if we had our tickets to enter.

We mentioned how few people there were and Felt bad the band had very few Patrons.

He mentioned amount of tickets that could be used for Brownwood, not even A 1/4 was there.

The tickets were all taken, but most no shows. He said there were people getting tickets, and then ripping them up, to make sure as many as possible could not attend. He said it was sad that some have decided to control other people lives.

Have no idea if it’s true, but every night tickets are not available, and have very few people attend. But given the fact that some are extremely unhappy people are out and about, it would not surprise me
Old 10-11-2020, 07:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Lol, OBB, hubby has a friend who places a mask very prominently around the front of his scooter, his motorcycle, his neck... but never on his face. His masks are obviously symbolic or worn on pain of death, which occasionally hubby alludes to if friend comes too near.
Old 10-11-2020, 07:11 PM
Default To mask or not?

I agree with you. I can't understand why some people get nasty when they're asked to wear a mask. Please people, this is a world wide pandemic & if wearing masks could save lives, then just do it! It's only a small inconvenience. I will continue to wear one in public places because I care about you 😷

Quote:

Old 10-11-2020, 07:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,437 Times in 3,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Lol, OBB, hubby has a friend who places a mask very prominently around the front of his scooter, his motorcycle, his neck... but never on his face. His masks are obviously symbolic or worn on pain of death, which occasionally hubby alludes to if friend comes too near.
Since my issue is with having to foot the bill for someone who refuses to accept personal responsibility, I also have to acknowledge that it's nearly impossible to prove. But if they HAVE a mask - at least they have chosen to be capable of wearing one.

If they don't even have a mask - then they've proven that their choice is to be unconcerned for their own safety. At which point I say - then pay for your own medical bills.

I feel the same way about people who have brain trauma resulting from a car accident during which they were not wearing a seatbelt. You choose not to wear one, then you can pay for your own injuries. And again - the same with people on motorcycles who choose not to wear a helmet.

You are responsible for your own health. You can choose to do what science has already deemed a minimum of appropriate behavior, or you can choose to pay the price for your failure if it comes to it.

And - to be transparent about it: I don't wear a mask outside. Only inside buildings. I do carry one in my purse, have one in my glove compartment in my golf car and my car, and extras in my house. So if I feel like I'm going into an unavoidable crowd situation, even if it's outside, I can put the mask on.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,898 Times in 913 Posts

Ever have a conversation with a surgeon who fixes people after they have stupid accidents? yes i have. You will get the exact same answers as OrangeBlossomBaby. Lots of people don't respect the very low probability of something life altering happening. And that turns into society and insurance companies covering everybody through "no fault" insurance. So yes, we all pay for every else's sometimes bad luck and sometimes stupidity, sometimes you can't tell the difference

But ask yourself, what's the difference between stopping at a stop sign and wearing a mask if its an ordinance, law or requested by the store front owner? Not complying with a stop sign has a known, but small probability of death or life altering outcome. Not complying with a mask indoors also has a small probability of death or life altering outcome, both random. The difference is that one was trained and taught from the beginning to respect the stop sign, or there will be a least a fine or in several cases license suspension. With the virus, the only difference is that the request is new, the information is conflicting, as reality and theory are a bit different, but the outcome is the same, small probability of a life altering outcome. So in reality, the only difference is that one was trained early in one's formative years to comply with stop signs, and now your ability to learn/adapt is no more, you are done adapting and learning, whatever the outcome.

sportsguy
Closed Thread

Tags
virus, people, distancing, masks, give

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.