Virus ... should we just chuck in the towel

Closed Thread
Old 10-12-2020, 06:41 AM

FYI: The CDC just published a study that showed people who wear masks ALL THE TIME made up 70.6% of those people recently diagnosed with COVID 19 while those who NEVER wear masks made up 3.9%. This is from multiple samples direct from the CDC.

Research this yourself... go to cdc.gov.

Knowledge is a very powerful aide in decision making.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Most people are behaving.

This morning everyone in Big Lots and mostly everyone at Walmarts are masked up
thank you stu for ALL of your wonderful posts, they are so informative
Old 10-12-2020, 06:59 AM

Well said Boomer
Old 10-12-2020, 07:07 AM

Really? We continue to pay for medical issues caused by bad choices.....smoking, HIV, obesity, alcoholism, abortions, the list goes on and we will continue to do so like it or not.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:07 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,136 Times in 881 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Out and about this past few days I am coming to the conclusion that trying to fight this virus is a losing battle.

We, my little family, are doing our part in every way possible, masks, social distancing, dining out or take out, no small groups indoors. But, this weekend I noticed more and more people becoming truly belligerent over the masking for shopping, i.e. WalMart yesterday ... young couple absolutely refusing to wear a mask and just pushed right into the store saying "you cannot take away my civil rights". People, mostly elderly men, in Publix without masks and not socially distancing to cash out. Today at P;aneras in SLS people not wearing masks and not distancing, and then throw in the crazy woman who was screaming about politics to everyone who would stop and listen.

I am sick and tired of this awful situation and am suggesting, we just give up and let nature take its course. If someone is sure that the virus is a hoax and will not kill anyone, let them have at it and cull the herd that way. The rest of us who do want to live without catching this virus can go on our merry way protecting ourselves.

What say you ..... for or against with good reasons.
I'm all for protecting oneself against Covid, but it sounds like you think masks do that. What I've learned is they don't protect you, because Covid is too small to be blocked by masks. Masks are useful to protect others from receiving your big droplets which may be infected. But if the virus is in the air, or if you touch your mask with an infected hand, it can pass through your mask just like a bug through a chain link fence. Distancing (especially from anti-maskers!), hand washing, not socializing indoors, not touching your face (including masks which is so hard!) seems to be the best ways to protect oneself. Good health to us all.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:17 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,136 Times in 881 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunky1 View Post
I agree. The snowflakes and snowbirds are coming from all parts of the country including foreign countries and they’re carrying a present for us in the villages.Let the natural selection continue.
Many of us snowbirds are coming from almost no Covid cases. It is us who are risking a lot for going to Florida this winter. Please don't plunk us all in your premeditated "carrying a present" box.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourBrain View Post
He cdc has provided this information. The percentage is 6% for Covid only deaths.
Six people out of 100 dead as a doornail. I easily know a hundred people and y'all do too. I like them all and love a bunch of them.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:21 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Went to Brownwood tonight, for dinner. Spent about 2 hours with a multi course meal. Restaurant had customers, but not overly busy.

But what we did notice was the lack of people at the square listening to music. There were about 30 when we first got to the restaurant, all social distancing. When we left there were fewer. A very helpful ticket taker, asked as we strolled around the square, if we had our tickets to enter.

We mentioned how few people there were and Felt bad the band had very few Patrons.

He mentioned amount of tickets that could be used for Brownwood, not even A 1/4 was there.

The tickets were all taken, but most no shows. He said there were people getting tickets, and then ripping them up, to make sure as many as possible could not attend. He said it was sad that some have decided to control other people lives.

Have no idea if it’s true, but every night tickets are not available, and have very few people attend. But given the fact that some are extremely unhappy people are out and about, it would not surprise me
The attendant at the square is probably low on the food chain of employment, do you think they are around when tickets are distributed. With all the hoopla about squares opening, I don't think it's that import to most Villagers.
I have observed the webcams for all three squares and seems to have low attendance.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Six people out of 100 dead as a doornail. I easily know a hundred people and y'all do too. I like them all and love a bunch of them.
That's not what the CDC said. 6% of deaths attributed to COVID are from the virus only, not 6% of every hundred people! YIKES! That would be 20 million "dead as a doornail"
However, that 6% number has been since disputed.

If a person has a co-morbidity but was destined to live 25 more years then died after contracting the virus, that should be counted as a COVID death. If a person with stage 4 pancreatic ca was going to die in 6 hours, then I would not count it. And a 22 year old critically injured in a motorcycle accident who happens to test positive certainly is NOT a COVID death. Remember, statistics don't lie, PEOPLE lie with statistics.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:39 AM

I continue be amazed at how many folks seem to think everyone they encounter has the virus, when in fact, several days ago Dr. Mike Ryan, WHO Health Emergencies Program Director, said their best guess is that 10% of the world's population has been infected, or about 750 million people. WHO's data says that about 1 million people have died from it. Disregarding whether they died "from" it or "with" it, doing the basic math:

1,000,000 ÷ 750,000,000 = .0013
.0013 x 100 = 0.13% death rate of those infected

OR 99.87% of everyone who gets it survive.

Covid-19: World in ‘for a hell of a ride’ in coming months, Dr Mike Ryan says

There have been 7.7 million cases in the USA, well below the 10% figure above. The 2009 H1N1 flu infected over 60,000,000 people. Which one was more contagious? The average death rate for the seasonal flu is 0.1% vs. 0.13% to Covid-19. No one batted an eye back then thinking they might get the flu and so many ITT in a panic for this.

Also, 40% of the deaths in the USA are from nursing homes because the governors of 4 or 5 states thought it was smart to put covid patients into them.

Last edited by meridian5850; 10-12-2020 at 07:52 AM.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I would only be "okay" with that if insurance companies refuse to cover anyone with COVID-19 if they didn't have any masks with them (in their glove compartment, in their purses, hanging from the rear view mirror, on the seat, in the house, anything). You can't prove that they weren't wearing a mask when they contracted the virus. But you can prove lack of personal responsibility if they don't even own a mask.

If people want to be responsible for their own health, I say have at it. Just don't expect my tax dollars to pay for your medical care when you screw up.
I assume that you also wear gloves and eye protection. We might as well do it right.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
That doesn't figure in The Villages. The death toll attributed to the virus in The Villages is low enough that a rough computation makes it less than a half of one percent.

I wonder what the overall death rate this year is compared to last year or the year before.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:02 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
That's not what the CDC said. 6% of deaths attributed to COVID are from the virus only, not 6% of every hundred people! YIKES! That would be 20 million "dead as a doornail"
However, that 6% number has been since disputed.

If a person has a co-morbidity but was destined to live 25 more years then died after contracting the virus, that should be counted as a COVID death. If a person with stage 4 pancreatic ca was going to die in 6 hours, then I would not count it. And a 22 year old critically injured in a motorcycle accident who happens to test positive certainly is NOT a COVID death. Remember, statistics don't lie, PEOPLE lie with statistics.
A similar thing can be said about FLU. People are always tossing about "But flu kills 60,000 a year" or whatever number. The actual number of deaths due only to FLU is under 5k a year. Most of them actually die of Pneumonia. Most of them also had co-morbidities.

I don't know of a single person who ever died of the FLU. I do know two people who died of Covid-19. One was in her 80s, the other was in his 90s. How much longer did either have? I don't know, but Covid certainly accelerated the process.

I think if you look at the charts that show how the infection burns through a geographic region then peters off to nearly nothing, you start to realize that everyone has to take a big ole bite of the poo sandwich. In other words, this thing seems to burn through the weakest among us and then...not so much. I'm all for taking precautions and one thing we aren't getting from any of the "SCIENCE" types is preparing your own terrain to be hostile to the virus.

Studies on Vitamin D have shown it drastically improved outcomes. Reduces death, reduces severity, complications, on and on. Further retrospective studies have shown that most of the worst outcomes came in patients who were deficient. You hear a recommendation on taking a supplement from anyone? No? Why not. The Science is there. Even Web MD ran an article on it. Low Vitamin D Levels Tied to Odds for Severe COVID

Spend some time researching it, there has been a lot of research done on it, all of it says the same thing. If your Vitamin D level falls below a certain level and you get CV19, you're going to have a bad go of it.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,355 Times in 2,508 Posts

You can play with numbers as much as you like.
Argue obout with Covid or from Covid as much as you like.
Whichever way you think, it still come down to tens of thousand of deaths because of Covid.
Why the big argument about doing something to help reduce the risk?
Even if it is only a few % it must be worth it.
A bullet proof vest doesn't stop you getting your arms legs head or balls being blown off, but it gives some protection, and a mask is a lot easier to wear!
Old 10-12-2020, 08:12 AM

Wearing a mask won't end this virus... The only way to end the virus is to not let anyone in or out of the country. Shut all business including Walmart, Publix, Postal Service, Publix, etc. And lock all people in their homes, including police for 45 days.
Closed Thread

Tags
virus, people, distancing, masks, give

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.