Virus -vs- Ultra-Violet Light

Closed Thread
Old 03-26-2020, 09:08 AM
Talking Virus -vs- Ultra-Violet Light

A recent post included "N95 Masks are now being sterilized by UV light, and are being reused".
((PLEASE - No Rants!)
I'm just asking for informed information !
Q-Is RV light safe for human exposure?
Q-If it 'sanitizes' fabrics will it sanitize all other materials - paper? plastic? wood? metal? etc.
Q-If true, why are we washing with soap and water (when available), when portable RV lights plugged in everywhere (Home, shops, stores, hospitals etc) would be much more effective?
Old 03-26-2020, 09:23 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,751 Times in 3,627 Posts

Jus Google it and read. Please.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:46 AM
Default Thanks for responding. I have read hundreds of postings on GOOGLE.

As they say, "Don't believe all you read" (Specifically on GOOGLE).
Thanks for responding. I have reviewed many postings on GOOGLE. But I am looking for a knowledgeable, local individual with personal, knowledge and expertise.
Q-Would an UV 'hand-bath' be safe and effective? . . .
Old 03-26-2020, 09:49 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,751 Times in 3,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by APovi View Post
As they say, "Don't believe all you read" (Specifically on GOOGLE).
Thanks for responding. I have reviewed many postings on GOOGLE. But I am looking for a knowledgeable, local individual with personal, knowledge and expertise.
Q-Would an UV 'hand-bath' be safe and effective? . . .

If the WHO does not fit "knowledgeable", I'm not sure you will find on ToTV.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:55 AM
Thumbs down

I trust the 'WHO' - but NOT Google!
Old 03-26-2020, 11:05 AM

OP, I don't think anyone knows the answer to that yet, but we do have a REME HALO system on our HVAC system and it DOES help with mold, allergies and bacteria and viruses circulating in your system. Here is the info, click on the Features and Benefits box and decide if this is something you might or might not be interested in. If you are looking for UV SURFACE cleaning, I would not consider this an option, only for your circulated air and to keep it out of your ducts as well (especially mold).

REME HALO(R) In-duct Air Purifier | RGF
Old 03-26-2020, 11:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,729 Posts

Ultraviolet light is used in some settings to disinfect, for example, in nail salons. (I also read about hospitals but can’t vouch for it.) The light intensity needed would be absolutely dangerous to the human eye. With proper instructions, I’ve been using UV light to disinfect my clothes, shoes, and clippers etc. 15 minutes and they are done.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:28 AM

CleanWave Portable Sanitizing Wand | Shop Verilux
Old 03-27-2020, 06:41 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
A recent post included "N95 Masks are now being sterilized by UV light, and are being reused".
((PLEASE - No Rants!)
Q-If it 'sanitizes' fabrics will it sanitize all other materials - paper? plastic? wood? metal? etc.
Q-If true, why are we washing with soap and water (when available), when portable RV lights plugged in everywhere (Home, shops, stores, hospitals etc) would be much more effective?
UV light is sort of safe for human exposure. You are exposed to it every day when you are outside. However, ideally, you wear sunblock to keep it from harming you. Ever noticed that people around The Villages with deep tans may have very wrinkled skin on their faces, but the skin where the sun seldom or never shines is smooth and youthful? That’s because UV destroys your skin. It also leads to skin cancers. However, the level of UV used for rapid disinfection or sterilization will also cause rapid skin burning or even cataracts or burning of the corneas.

Sunlight has UV light in it and will kill the Coronavirus quite quickly. An exposed virus in sun will die much faster than one in a glob of phlegm.

UV light definitely will sanitize hard surfaces, paper, plastic, etc., though it will cause the decay of many plastics and rubbers because it breaks down the molecules that give them their physical properties. It will make fabrics and artwork fade and paper turn brown. In some germ warfare labs, workers have to go through a “shower” of high intensity UV light as part of their daily entrance and exit procedures.

UV systems are often used to disinfect drinking water without using chlorine, or to break apart chlorine molecules. It’s also used to disinfect sewage water. However, the UV lights have to be carefully sized so the water or air gets the right amount of exposure.

Maybe these little hand-held UV lights will sterilize things and maybe not. Maybe some do and some don’t. I don’t know how well they are tested. And they may work from 1/4” away and not from 4” away. Will you be testing with swabs and Petri dish incubation and all to see? UV lights in store and restaurants might be used to kill organisms, but they would be very bright, and not entirely safe. Imagine sitting for an hour in a restaurant and coming out with a sunburn!

Theoretically, the right UV light can disinfect used N95 face masks so they can be used. Better to use new ones.

From Wikipedia:
“ For human beings, skin exposure to germicidal wavelengths of UV light can produce rapid sunburn and skin cancer.[14] Exposure of the eyes to this UV radiation can produce extremely painful inflammation of the cornea and temporary or permanent vision impairment, up to and including blindness in some cases. UV can damage the retina of the eye.[14]
Another potential danger is the UV production of ozone, which can be harmful to one's health. The US Environmental Protection Agency designated 0.05 parts per million (ppm) of ozone to be a safe level. Lamps designed to release UVC and higher frequencies are doped so that any UV light below 254 nm wavelengths will not be released, to minimize ozone production. A full-spectrum lamp will release all UV wavelengths, and will produce ozone when UVC hits oxygen (O2) molecules.
UV-C radiation is able to break down chemical bonds. This leads to rapid aging of plastics, insulation, gaskets, and other materials. Note that plastics sold to be "UV-resistant" are tested only for UV-B, as UV-C doesn't normally reach the surface of the Earth. When UV is used near plastic, rubber, or insulation, care should be taken to shield these items; metal tape or aluminum foil will suffice.”
Old 03-27-2020, 06:49 AM
Exclamation N95

Quote:
((PLEASE - No Rants!)
If you have any un used N95 masks at home you should be a good American and take them to the nearest hospital at once!
Old 03-27-2020, 08:00 AM

UV light will kill most viruses, however it takes high intensity for 20-30 minutes to do so. It can be used to sanitize surfaces. Unfortunately, the intensity needed to kill a virus would leave you with a pretty severe burn, so no it is not useful for sanitizing yourself.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
If the WHO does not fit "knowledgeable", I'm not sure you will find on ToTV.

online we are all experts,~! hehe
Old 03-31-2020, 12:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member

You trust the WHO?? They are complicit with China in the spread of the virus.

Tags
light, q-if, metal, true, wood

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.