What is a constituent letter?

Closed Thread
Old 09-06-2010, 12:51 PM
Administrator
Default What is a constituent letter?

In another thread, a member posted about a "constituent letter" when dealing with the IRS. I
had never heard of that.

Since then I have learned from a friend a little about this. I will post it here, but if you think I know
what I am talking about you are misled. I am only posting what I have been told. If this information
is helpful to you, then consider it a starting point.

It is a letter, for which the form is available online, or by calling a senator or congressman, state or
federal to have one sent to you. It allows them to contact the agency you are having an issue with
on your behalf, and forward all files. If they don't then it becomes a huge issue for the agency
involved and your representative cannot work for you as well.

For example, a person has an ailment created at work. The ailment may look unrelated to work,
say a manager gets a debilitating breathing impairment from mold. The employer contends he or
she did everything correctly and the manager should have known of the danger and how it would
affect him.

The manager was denied a required state health insurance and was fined or taxed by the state for
not having expensive health insurance

The manager contacted his U.S. Senator and completed a constituent letter. The senator stepped in
and helped the manager quickly get full benefits.

Other cases may not work out so well and so quickly, but I thought you should have this information
in case you need an advocate to help reel in a cantankerous agency.

Remember, this is all I know. For more details, I suggest you contact your U.S. or state senator.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:18 PM
Gold member

A friend of mine had problems getting action on a VA issue about 1 1/2 years ago. Someone suggested he write a letter to our local congressperson and it was surprising how fast his claim then got resolved. Wish I had known about it back in 2008 when we had our IRS problem.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.