What I am doing for the upcoming COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic.

Closed Thread
Old 03-07-2020, 01:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Where's Gianna Micelli when we need her?
The same place as a hole in the head, the need is the same
Old 03-07-2020, 01:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Anyone consider the mask, toilet paper and wipes manufacturers might be behind spreading panic?

The Villages Florida
Old 03-07-2020, 03:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Anyone consider the mask, toilet paper and wipes manufacturers might be behind spreading panic?
I never thought of that, but it's a possibility.
Everything is sold out at Walmart.
I didn't check for masks or tp; but they are probably sold out.
All disinfecting wipes are sold out at WM, and probably at other stores as well.

Last edited by Barefoot; 03-07-2020 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-07-2020, 04:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
It is recommended that if you are not sick then you don’t wear a mask because “it will not help you” from the articles cited above.
I think a mask simply keeps you from touching your face.
Old 03-07-2020, 04:38 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
And don't forget the milk, bread and eggs!
Steve
Also very important 3 - 4 Cases of 16 Ounce Cans of Mic Ultra Beer, excellent very cold.

Peanuts, Pretzels, Potato Chips, Pickles, Cherry Tomatoes.

PS: You forgot the Butter
Old 03-07-2020, 05:47 PM

while my hand sanitizer from amazon won't be arriving until sometime in april, my box of 100 disposable clear vinyl gloves is arriving next week (for filling up the gas tank of course). i'll keep using those regardless of mr. caronavirus. plus, did you know you can get leprosy from armadillos? just sayin'
Old 03-07-2020, 07:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmarkp View Post
while my hand sanitizer from amazon won't be arriving until sometime in april, my box of 100 disposable clear vinyl gloves is arriving next week (for filling up the gas tank of course). i'll keep using those regardless of mr. caronavirus. plus, did you know you can get leprosy from armadillos? just sayin'
Even from 'sail-dillo's' (the ones you can throw like a Frisbee)?
Old 03-07-2020, 07:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Just to take a "serious" break......despite what you hear, testing is NOT available to you if you want a test...

"On Friday, Mr. Pence said it would be a “matter of weeks” before Americans could get easy access to a coronavirus test."

Despite we being told just 48 hours ago that "Anybody right now and yesterday, anybody that needs a test gets a test,” ..... “They’re there. They have the tests and the tests are beautiful.”

With Test Kits in Short Supply, Health Officials Sound Alarms - The New York Times

Tracking, etc is not going to happen in a timely manner. Thus impeding actions. Truth is better than bravado...

This, from the link is important....."Public health officials are warning that no one knows how deeply the virus will spread, in part because the federal government’s flawed rollout of tests three weeks ago has snowballed into an embarrassing fiasco of national proportions."

I am mocked very often for asking for facts and truth....this "could" be an example of why knowing the facts is important

Last edited by Bucco; 03-07-2020 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Just to take a "serious" break......despite what you hear, testing is NOT available to you if you want a test...

"On Friday, Mr. Pence said it would be a “matter of weeks” before Americans could get easy access to a coronavirus test."

Despite we being told just 48 hours ago that "Anybody right now and yesterday, anybody that needs a test gets a test,” ..... “They’re there. They have the tests and the tests are beautiful.”

With Test Kits in Short Supply, Health Officials Sound Alarms - The New York Times

Tracking, etc is not going to happen in a timely manner. Thus impeding actions. Truth is better than bravado...

This, from the link is important....."Public health officials are warning that no one knows how deeply the virus will spread, in part because the federal government’s flawed rollout of tests three weeks ago has snowballed into an embarrassing fiasco of national proportions."

I am mocked very often for asking for facts and truth....this "could" be an example of why knowing the facts is important
I'm convinced there is definitely a shortage of test kits IF you are trying to test "everyone who wants it."

However I also get a feeling that there isn't really a shortage of test kits for hospitals and other medical facilities that need to test specific patients. It's probably more a matter of "how many and where." Such as the cruise ships that have been out on the sea for the past couple of weeks, and didn't have any reason to think they'd need kits - til now.

BTW turns out the guy who exposed everyone to the virus on the ship on the west coast - came on board already sick. This according to the LA Times as of the past hour.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post
Did you also stock up on Toilet Paper ? I use " Yardley " soap really nice . I feel at peace waiting for the weather to warm up.

Meanwhile …. Try to stay ……………………………..Calm and wash gently...
I had stocked up previous to this and already had 2 24-roll packages. I also have I think a pack of 8 bars of soap, so that won't be a problem either. I should probably get a few gallon jugs of water though, I hate drinking tap water and only have 1 jug left.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

One thing bothers me with this sanitising.
Do I need to carry another sanitiser to sanitise the sanitiser I sanatised my hands with?
Or a third sanitiser to sanitise the sanitiser bottle i sanitised the sanitiser I sanitised my hands with?
Old 03-08-2020, 08:32 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
One thing bothers me with this sanitising.
Do I need to carry another sanitiser to sanitise the sanitiser I sanatised my hands with?
Or a third sanitiser to sanitise the sanitiser bottle i sanitised the sanitiser I sanitised my hands with?
Might be easier to carry in a Backpack 100 or so Disposable Gloves every time you go out.

A pack of 500 from Amazon $11.99. Might be a good idea to order right away, many others after reading this post will put in an order, Amazon will sell out very quickly !

Good Luck
Old 03-08-2020, 11:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,013 Times in 1,740 Posts

Better sanitize the gloves too... just in case.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Better sanitize the gloves too... just in case.
Yeah. You never know where they've been. I think a lot of people play doctor.
Old 03-08-2020, 01:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonbrown View Post
Date: February 26, 2020 at 2:35:50 PM EST
Subject: What I am doing for the upcoming COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic.

Dear Colleagues, as some of you may recall, when I was a professor of pathology at the University of California San Diego, I was one of the first molecular virologists in the world to work on coronaviruses (the 1970s). I was the first to demonstrate the number of genes the virus contained. Since then, I have kept up with the coronavirus field and its multiple clinical transfers into the human population (e.g., SARS, MERS), from different animal sources.

The current projections for its expansion in the US are only probable, due to continued insufficient worldwide data, but it is most likely to be widespread in the US by mid to late March and April.

Here is what I have done and the precautions that I take and will take. These are the same precautions I currently use during our influenza seasons, except for the mask and gloves.:

1) NO HANDSHAKING! Use a fist bump, slight bow, elbow bump, etc.
2) Use ONLY your knuckle to touch light switches. elevator buttons, etc.. Lift the gasoline dispenser with a paper towel or use a disposable glove.
3) Open doors with your closed fist or hip - do not grasp the handle with your hand, unless there is no other way to open the door. Especially important on bathroom and post office/commercial doors.
4) Use disinfectant wipes at the stores when they are available, including wiping the handle and child seat in grocery carts.
5) Wash your hands with soap for 10-20 seconds and/or use a greater than 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer whenever you return home from ANY activity that involves locations where other people have been.
6) Keep a bottle of sanitizer available at each of your home's entrances. AND in your car for use after getting gas or touching other contaminated objects when you can't immediately wash your hands.
7) If possible, cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue and discard. Use your elbow only if you have to. The clothing on your elbow will contain infectious virus that can be passed on for up to a week or more!

What I have stocked in preparation for the pandemic spread to the US:

1) Latex or nitrile latex disposable gloves for use when going shopping, using the gasoline pump, and all other outside activity when you come in contact with contaminated areas.

Note: This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you! BUT all the surfaces where these droplets land are infectious for about a week on average - everything that is associated with infected people will be contaminated and potentially infectious. The virus is on surfaces and you will not be infected unless your unprotected face is directly coughed or sneezed upon. This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs) The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth.

2) Stock up now with disposable surgical masks and use them to prevent you from touching your nose and/or mouth (We touch our nose/mouth 90X/day without knowing it!). This is the only way this virus can infect you - it is lung-specific. The mask will not prevent the virus in a direct sneeze from getting into your nose or mouth - it is only to keep you from touching your nose or mouth.

3) Stock up now with hand sanitizers and latex/nitrile gloves (get the appropriate sizes for your family). The hand sanitizers must be alcohol-based and greater than 60% alcohol to be effective.

4) Stock up now with zinc lozenges. These lozenges have been proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying in your throat and nasopharynx. Use as directed several times each day when you begin to feel ANY "cold-like" symptoms beginning. It is best to lie down and let the lozenge dissolve in the back of your throat and nasopharynx. Cold-Eeze lozenges is one brand available, but there are other brands available.

I, as many others do, hope that this pandemic will be reasonably contained, BUT I personally do not think it will be. Humans have never seen this snake-associated virus before and have no internal defense against it. Tremendous worldwide efforts are being made to understand the molecular and clinical virology of this virus. Unbelievable molecular knowledge about the genomics, structure, and virulence of this virus has already been achieved. BUT, there will be NO drugs or vaccines available this year to protect us or limit the infection within us. Only symptomatic support is available.

I hope these personal thoughts will be helpful during this potentially catastrophic pandemic. You are welcome to share this email. Good luck to all of us!

Jim

James Robb, MD FCAP
So are you saying the alcohol will kill the COVID-19 virus?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Closed Thread

Tags
virus, mouth, pandemic, nose, hand

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.