What a Pain

Closed Thread
Old 07-21-2013, 05:09 AM
Sage
Default What a Pain

Thought since pain seemed to be the over night topic, some might find this article interesting.

Pain Medication : the DEA's War on Pain Doctors

Pain management is a slippery decision. When my sister ran out of doctors in Iowa that would prescribe pain medication in high doses, she moved to Arizona and has started on a fresh batch of doctors. She has been on this train for over 20 years.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:32 AM
Veteran member

I agree, it's a sad problem for legitimate patients, Golfingnut. Does your sister feel like she's "addicted" to pain meds after so many years?

My dr. recently gave me a prescription for hydrocodone (Vicodin) to help alleviate pain associated with an autoimmune condition. I was a bit leery because of the addictive properties but honestly, I felt nothing when I took it. Relief of pain, yes, but certainly no euphoria or any other kind of high or mood elevation or buzz. Absolutely no change.

Thankfully, the pain subsided on its own after a few months so I stopped taking the meds. I noticed zero difference then, as well. I dunno. Maybe the dose wasn't high enough or something. *shrug*
Old 07-21-2013, 07:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
I agree, it's a sad problem for legitimate patients, Golfingnut. Does your sister feel like she's "addicted" to pain meds after so many years?

My dr. recently gave me a prescription for hydrocodone (Vicodin) to help alleviate pain associated with an autoimmune condition. I was a bit leery because of the addictive properties but honestly, I felt nothing when I took it. Relief of pain, yes, but certainly no euphoria or any other kind of high or mood elevation or buzz. Absolutely no change.

Thankfully, the pain subsided on its own after a few months so I stopped taking the meds. I noticed zero difference then, as well. I dunno. Maybe the dose wasn't high enough or something. *shrug*

She has no clue. One day when she was taking her noon dose of meds, I asked what that was she replied with Xanax. I asked if she really needed a tranquilizer and she said: "they are nerve pills silly, I would never take a tranquilizer". What do you say to that? I don't like it, but at our age and stage of life, I doubt if she could get off of them now. In my opinion, she is hooked on both tranquilizers and pain pills. She also professes to be plagued with sever fibromyalgia often used to justify the need for these types of medication.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
Thought since pain seemed to be the over night topic, some might find this article interesting.

Pain Medication : the DEA's War on Pain Doctors

Pain management is a slippery decision. When my sister ran out of doctors in Iowa that would prescribe pain medication in high doses, she moved to Arizona and has started on a fresh batch of doctors. She has been on this train for over 20 years.
You know me the skeptic. Who wrote this and why? Is the Village Voice the newsletter for the POA? Who is the author, Frank Owen? What is the DEA? This is an old article,(2003) why did the article mention Russ Limbaugh? hmmmm

Until I learn otherwise from someone, my opinion is that some pain management clinics are legit and some are illegal "pill mills" writing huge prescriptions for unknown ailments and feeding addicted folks.

Interesting and scary subject.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

i work with someone who he and wife do the same thing...and no they don't have a clue....besides the comment is always the doctor gave me the script so there is no problem..of course now they have to travel to find new doctors to write the scripts
Old 07-21-2013, 07:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
You know me the skeptic. Who wrote this and why? Is the Village Voice the newsletter for the POA? Who is the author, Frank Owen? What is the DEA? This is an old article,(2003) why did the article mention Russ Limbaugh? hmmmm

Until I learn otherwise from someone, my opinion is that some pain management clinics are legit and some are illegal "pill mills" writing huge prescriptions for unknown ailments and feeding addicted folks.

Interesting and scary subject.
///
Old 07-21-2013, 08:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Ah Hah! DEA is the Department of Drug Enforcement.

Here is a related article on the subject...

Pain Clinics: Legalized Drug Dealers | Recovery Connection
Old 07-21-2013, 08:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
i work with someone who he and wife do the same thing...and no they don't have a clue....besides the comment is always the doctor gave me the script so there is no problem..of course now they have to travel to find new doctors to write the scripts
Thank you and that is my sister in a nut shell. I am sure yes positive that legit clinics and legit patients are out their. I also am convinced that pain management is exactly the same as medical marihuana. The only difference is that pill makers get rich off peddling their legal drug. I have given my opinion based on seeing what these "legit" pill pushers have continued to provide my sister and many many more with a "legal" means too support their habits. To those that have this true need, I pray some discovery will be found to help them without constant need for narcotic drugs and as I said, I
am sure yes positive that legit clinics and legit patients are out their.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.