What type of Dr to use?

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Reply
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-04-2021, 07:52 PM
Heartnsoul Heartnsoul is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 536
Thanks: 3
Thanked 79 Times in 42 Posts
Default What type of Dr to use?

If you think you may have arthritis or bursitis, what type of Dr can determine what you have??
  #2  
Old 11-04-2021, 08:10 PM
Bjeanj Bjeanj is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,836
Thanks: 108
Thanked 1,148 Times in 425 Posts
Default

Internal medicine and orthopedic dr.
__________________
Teach your daughter how to shoot, because a restraining order is just a piece of paper.
  #3  
Old 11-04-2021, 08:27 PM
golfing eagles's Avatar
golfing eagles golfing eagles is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: East Meadow NY, Brooklyn, Staten Island, Auburn NY, Lake Deaton
Posts: 8,579
Thanks: 273
Thanked 6,886 Times in 2,116 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartnsoul View Post
If you think you may have arthritis or bursitis, what type of Dr can determine what you have??
Probably internal medicine. If complicated, rheumatologist. If injury, orthopedist
  #4  
Old 11-05-2021, 07:36 AM
JMintzer's Avatar
JMintzer JMintzer is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 2,554
Thanks: 222
Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,272 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Probably internal medicine. If complicated, rheumatologist. If injury, orthopedist
In my experience, most internists will almost immediately refer you to a rheumatologist, orthopedist, or me (if it involves the foot/ankle)...
__________________
Most things I worry about
Never happen anyway...

-Tom Petty
  #5  
Old 11-05-2021, 08:11 AM
golfing eagles's Avatar
golfing eagles golfing eagles is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: East Meadow NY, Brooklyn, Staten Island, Auburn NY, Lake Deaton
Posts: 8,579
Thanks: 273
Thanked 6,886 Times in 2,116 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
In my experience, most internists will almost immediately refer you to a rheumatologist, orthopedist, or me (if it involves the foot/ankle)...
Not I, unless it was beyond my expertise or required a procedure. And that would apply to my whole group in NY
  #6  
Old 11-05-2021, 08:56 AM
OrangeBlossomBaby OrangeBlossomBaby is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,576
Thanks: 4,229
Thanked 5,922 Times in 1,826 Posts
Default

My internal practitioner (who is also my PCP) ordered the tests and diagnosed my bursitis and osteoporosis. I don't see why you'd need a specialist for that.
  #7  
Old 11-05-2021, 10:18 AM
JMintzer's Avatar
JMintzer JMintzer is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 2,554
Thanks: 222
Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,272 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
My internal practitioner (who is also my PCP) ordered the tests and diagnosed my bursitis and osteoporosis. I don't see why you'd need a specialist for that.
How did they "treat" your bursitis?
__________________
Most things I worry about
Never happen anyway...

-Tom Petty
  #8  
Old 11-05-2021, 10:19 AM
JMintzer's Avatar
JMintzer JMintzer is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 2,554
Thanks: 222
Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,272 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Not I, unless it was beyond my expertise or required a procedure. And that would apply to my whole group in NY
Well, in many cases, bursitis does require a procedure... So there's that...
__________________
Most things I worry about
Never happen anyway...

-Tom Petty
  #9  
Old 11-05-2021, 10:40 AM
golfing eagles's Avatar
golfing eagles golfing eagles is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: East Meadow NY, Brooklyn, Staten Island, Auburn NY, Lake Deaton
Posts: 8,579
Thanks: 273
Thanked 6,886 Times in 2,116 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Well, in many cases, bursitis does require a procedure... So there's that...
Yes, but the procedure is to simply drain the fluid. I must have drained 100 olecranon bursas as well as patellar effusions over the years, and most of the remaining ones resolve with conservative treatment. I don't think most internists would have a problem doing that.
  #10  
Old 11-05-2021, 10:44 AM
JMintzer's Avatar
JMintzer JMintzer is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 2,554
Thanks: 222
Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,272 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Yes, but the procedure is to simply drain the fluid. I must have drained 100 olecranon bursas as well as patellar effusions over the years, and most of the remaining ones resolve with conservative treatment. I don't think most internists would have a problem doing that.
Well, all the ones in my building send the ones on the foot/ankle to me... Along with any and all heel pain...

Must be my boyish good looks and charming personality...
__________________
Most things I worry about
Never happen anyway...

-Tom Petty
  #11  
Old 11-05-2021, 11:10 AM
golfing eagles's Avatar
golfing eagles golfing eagles is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: East Meadow NY, Brooklyn, Staten Island, Auburn NY, Lake Deaton
Posts: 8,579
Thanks: 273
Thanked 6,886 Times in 2,116 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Well, all the ones in my building send the ones on the foot/ankle to me... Along with any and all heel pain...

Must be my boyish good looks and charming personality...
Must be.

Personally, I don't do feet , so I'll send you mine as well.
  #12  
Old 11-05-2021, 07:38 PM
Heartnsoul Heartnsoul is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 536
Thanks: 3
Thanked 79 Times in 42 Posts
Default

A shot in the shoulder
  #13  
Old 11-06-2021, 05:09 AM
ProfZ ProfZ is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Just got through a bout of severe bursitis in hip. Diagnosed via thorough exam and xrays. Treated with 6 day prednisone medication - felt considerable pain relief in 48 hours and almost 100% relief two weeks later. Discuss possible side effects of prednisone with your Dr.
  #14  
Old 11-06-2021, 05:18 AM
HeleneGB HeleneGB is online now
Member
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 76
Thanks: 74
Thanked 88 Times in 40 Posts
Default

Rheumatologist
  #15  
Old 11-06-2021, 06:24 AM
thevillages2013 thevillages2013 is online now
Veteran member
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 618
Thanks: 374
Thanked 708 Times in 268 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartnsoul View Post
If you think you may have arthritis or bursitis, what type of Dr can determine what you have??
I used Dr Naproxen Sodium who referred me to Dr Bourbon (pronounced bore bone) . All good now
Reply

Tags
type, arthritis, bursitis, determine

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 AM.