What is the Villages response to the Carona Virus

Closed Thread
Old 03-11-2020, 06:01 PM
Default What is the Villages response to the Carona Virus

When will The Villages get on board with the rest of the world and cancel events at the Sharon, Savannah Center, and other events where large numbers of people gather in a confined area? Is the NBA and the rest of sports world the only organization who understand the serious nature of the Corona virus..
Old 03-11-2020, 06:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houselover View Post
When will The Villages get on board with the rest of the world and cancel events at the Sharon, Savannah Center, and other events where large numbers of people gather in a confined area? Is the NBA and the rest of sports world the only organization who understand the serious nature of the Corona virus..
If you're concerned don't go. Why do we always expect organizations or governments or corporations to usurp personal responsibility? Disney is still open, movie theaters are still open, Broadway theaters are still open, restaurants are still open, and here, the squares and all the stores and restaurants are also open. Self quarantine is an option if you are concerned (assuming you can find toilet paper). Minor league baseball continues, NASCAR continues, Olympic trials continue so not sure "the rest of the sports world" is with the NBA and college basketball. That may change but asking government to take charge of my life is not anywhere near my wheelhouse.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-11-2020, 06:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

YOU are the very best option to control your exposure (or not).
There is no need to have the government or anyone else to dictate the common sense precautions that need be taken.

Be careful what you wish for....YOU are the very best option to control your exposure.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Personal resonsibility is alive and well. I would like to make my own decisions, thank you very much. I want government to step in only when idications are that they need to. So far, "The Villages" does not need to.

Those who are concerned about being around crowds are invited to make their own decision and stay home.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:55 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Again..........ridiculous..............the freaking sky is not falling people!

Steve
Old 03-11-2020, 08:46 PM
Sage

As with anything personal, you need to be your own self-advocate and that goes for health issues as well. The Villages isn't our baby-sitter and we all have a choice on whether we participate in activities or not. I have autoimmune issues where "some" would say hibernate, but I refuse to give up what mobility I do have. I still will shop, go the church, the dr. etc. Just use common sense, wash your hands and do what "they're" telling you to do to maintain health. IF you feel sick or coming down with something----stay home!!
Old 03-12-2020, 01:23 AM
Location: Living in the Villages after 26 years on the Upper Westside of Manhattan!

Remember, this is not just about YOU and your preferences. Social distancing is one of the best ways to prevent the spread of the Coronavirus in a community. Limiting large scale events is a good preventative measure, especially among our demographic group. Each of us can sacrifice a little during the height of the outbreak and prevent this pandemic from overwhelming the hospitals and bringing harm to our neighbors.
formerly of Manhattan and weekends on the Jersey Shore--now living the dream in Caroline!
Old 03-12-2020, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
If you're concerned don't go. Why do we always expect organizations or governments or corporations to usurp personal responsibility? Disney is still open, movie theaters are still open, Broadway theaters are still open, restaurants are still open, and here, the squares and all the stores and restaurants are also open. Self quarantine is an option if you are concerned (assuming you can find toilet paper). Minor league baseball continues, NASCAR continues, Olympic trials continue so not sure "the rest of the sports world" is with the NBA and college basketball. That may change but asking government to take charge of my life is not anywhere near my wheelhouse.
Canceling potentially big-turn-out events is not just about telling people what or what not to do. It is about resolving the situation of people throwing an event, having to hire people, caterers, entertainers, etc, for an event that nearly nobody will come to if they are wanting to be careful with their health and the health of their friends, family, and neighbors. Better to reimburse people for canceling an event rather than going through that stress, I figure. That way everyone is on the same page.
Old 03-12-2020, 05:36 AM

The Sharon and the Savannah do not have large numbers attending like NBA games. Please don’t cancel shows at these venues.
Old 03-12-2020, 05:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Forget the rest of the world, certain areas are in a completely different situation.

So, aside from the NBA which had a PLAYER test positive, what has been cancelled? No announcement from MLB, Disney is open, Players championship starts today.

Your point will be well taken if cases start to show up here, but until then, no need to panic
Old 03-12-2020, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbg150 View Post
Remember, this is not just about YOU and your preferences. Social distancing is one of the best ways to prevent the spread of the Coronavirus in a community. Limiting large scale events is a good preventative measure, especially among our demographic group. Each of us can sacrifice a little during the height of the outbreak and prevent this pandemic from overwhelming the hospitals and bringing harm to our neighbors.

I agree COMPLETELY, even though I lean libertarian.

I'm reminded of a young person I had a conversation with yesterday who didn't care as no-one under-30 has died from the disease and they were quite happy to expose themselves to high risks. The point is that the more people that get it (including this under-30 year old), the more at risk the rest of us are. ALL of us. And especially anyone over 60.

If this gets a hold in the villages I see a lot of people not making it through this. And the infection curve is very steep. Look at Coronavirus Update (Live): 126,673 Cases and 4,641 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer to see what we are up against. Hospitals are going to be overwhelmed very quickly.

If you are good at completely avoiding the flu each year then perhaps you have a chance, otherwise why risk it or why would you want to have someone else take that risk for you??
Old 03-12-2020, 05:46 AM

The villages is composed of vulnerable elderly people, yet we continue to have nightly entertainment at the squares, recreational centers do not have sanitizers in rooms, why not
Old 03-12-2020, 05:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Shocked that "our petri dish" of coronavirus "could be recipients" here in Villages has not reared it's ugly head. We qualify for the age group, we travel, we gather for numerous activities. Be safe folks and self isolate.
Old 03-12-2020, 05:56 AM

I think I agree with you houselover vs. the last 6 posts. There are 2, not 1, ways to combat this. 1) yes, of course, take care of yourself, thats your responsibility. 2) CONTAINMENT, the responsibility of local officials.

Look at the numbers on the WHO page regarding those who contracted this.....over 80 - 15% of this age group passed away; over 70 - 7% of this age group; over 60 - 4% of this group. So, 26% at extreme risk

So you can do the math. Projections 70-150m people out of 370m US population, 20-40% contract. Apply to village population and then take 26% of that.

I sincerely hope this blows over, but the plan should not be to sincerely hope this blows over.

For me, always assume the worst case scenario, and plan according
Old 03-12-2020, 06:01 AM

Quote:
I have read the comments to this post and find those that oppose Village officials from being more pro active in reducing social contacts to be not in touch with reality. Folks, it is predicted that over 1 million of us will get this virus. Folks, why are studio audiences being canceled with probably no more than a couple of hundred in attendance? Why is it that a major university now forbids gatherings of more than 100? Why is it that a major city is stopping gatherings of more than 250? We are told to avoid large gatherings, yet Village officials refuse to issue advisories to curtail large group gatherings at its own recreation centers, maybe some with hundreds in attendance. I have emails from a Village official to confirm this point! Those of you that want to take risks by being part of a gathering of seniors, many with pre-existing medical conditions just ripe for the virus, by all means continue you in your ways. That is quite foolish in my opinion, as is the Villages not being more proactive as the leading experts tell us. Oh, go ahead and continue to hug and shake hands too, just like the president and vice-president say they intend to keep on doing-you know, the ones that have been misleading us from the get-go about this crisis! As well, we are all exposed to this disease, particularly since the testing for it, so far, has been abysmal. I'd rather be safe than sorry at this point, so if Village officials won't lead the way, I will.

Last edited by hollywoodz; 03-12-2020 at 06:06 AM. Reason: I forgot to add a point.
Closed Thread

Tags
rest, villages, virus, events, world

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.