What is the Villages response to the Carona Virus

Closed Thread
Old 03-12-2020, 06:17 AM

The NBA took the action it did because a Utah player tested positive.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:32 AM
Veteran member

Cheapass, your math is a little suspect. 15% over 80, 7% over 70 and 4% over 60 does not equal 26% of the population in The Villages. You have to “average” those three and that would equal a little over 8%, not 26%.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noslices1 View Post
Cheapass, your math is a little suspect. 15% over 80, 7% over 70 and 4% over 60 does not equal 26% of the population in The Villages. You have to “average” those three and that would equal a little over 8%, not 26%.
And even those percentages do not account for the cases that are asymptomatic or mild and never tested, which lowers the mortality rate considerably
Old 03-12-2020, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodz View Post
I have read the comments to this post and find those that oppose Village officials from being more pro active in reducing social contacts to be not in touch with reality. Folks, it is predicted that over 1 million of us will get this virus. Folks, why are studio audiences being canceled with probably no more than a couple of hundred in attendance? Why is it that a major university now forbids gatherings of more than 100? Why is it that a major city is stopping gatherings of more than 250? We are told to avoid large gatherings, yet Village officials refuse to issue advisories to curtail large group gatherings at its own recreation centers, maybe some with hundreds in attendance. I have emails from a Village official to confirm this point! Those of you that want to take risks by being part of a gathering of seniors, many with pre-existing medical conditions just ripe for the virus, by all means continue you in your ways. That is quite foolish in my opinion, as is the Villages not being more proactive as the leading experts tell us. Oh, go ahead and continue to hug and shake hands too, just like the president and vice-president say they intend to keep on doing-you know, the ones that have been misleading us from the get-go about this crisis! As well, we are all exposed to this disease, particularly since the testing for it, so far, has been abysmal. I'd rather be safe than sorry at this point, so if Village officials won't lead the way, I will.
When, not if, the first case hits The Villages you will see a complete shutdown here but until that time money is the only reality that drives the officials.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:47 AM

Some replies miss the larger point. Yes, avoiding the crowds will protect you. But having infected persons within those crowds will spread the virus wider, quicker, and more will be infected. More will need a hospital that is already at capacity. More will die. TV is full of old folks with health conditions already.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houselover View Post
When will The Villages get on board with the rest of the world and cancel events at the Sharon, Savannah Center, and other events where large numbers of people gather in a confined area? Is the NBA and the rest of sports world the only organization who understand the serious nature of the Corona virus..
As of early March, the coronavirus outbreak had infected more than 100,000 people and killed more than 3,000 globally, the majority in China, where the illness was first detected in December. More than 750 people in the United States have been diagnosed, including at least 25 people who have died.
By comparison, influenza — known as the common flu — has infected as many as 45 million Americans since October and killed as many as 46,000, according to estimates from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:05 AM
Platinum member

even if coronavirus rate of mortality is "only" 1%, that's 10 times the rate of the flu. coronavirus a is a novel virus....we have no built up immunity from past exposures. there is no shot as there is for the flu. the constant comparison to the flu is causing a false sense of security to some.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:06 AM
Location: atl (marietta) - 1/20 bought on killington loop then covoid hit - looking again

seems to me tv folks're in a higher risk group than general population when we consider avg age & health status,,, that being my theory, can we anticipate opportunities to buy deceased homeowners' properties to increase arithmetically OR geometrically ?

most of the medical advice seems common sense - 'use your head !' there often is a lack of it especially when confronting the herd mentality
Old 03-12-2020, 07:14 AM

TV owners have to take protective action based on CDC guidelines. Most TV people still think it’s no big deal
Old 03-12-2020, 07:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

there is a population in the Villages, of which i am one, who believe this whole thing has been blown way out of proportion for whatever reason. i'm not taking any special precautions. i continue to go about my business which includes shaking hands & greeting new people. if for some reason i should become ill, i'll heal up the way i did with any other flu. it is what it is.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
even if coronavirus rate of mortality is "only" 1%, that's 10 times the rate of the flu. coronavirus a is a novel virus....we have no built up immunity from past exposures. there is no shot as there is for the flu. the constant comparison to the flu is causing a false sense of security to some.
Not necessarily true. According to DNA/RNA sequencing, all of our "modern" coronaviruses (swine, bird, SARS, MERS) are direct descendants of the 1918-1919 Spanish flu virus, so there will be some degree of "herd immunity", in addition to natural immunity from B cell histocompatibility testing within our own lymphatic and reticuloendothelial systems
Old 03-12-2020, 07:22 AM

So many people are making good points here. Each of us bears a personal responsibility to ourselves and those we interact with—yes. Our public officials also have a responsibility to act on our behalf. This is a virus that may not show symptoms for some time, so can be spread across a wide range before we know it. Many say it isnot here so why be inconvenienced? Well, how do you know it isn’t on our doorstep? There are not enough tests to know where it really is. We are being discouraged from wearing masks even though the primary means of spreading is by touching your mouth— because there is a fear there will not be enough masks for health care workers. What does that tell us? Venues in the villages are open because of financial concerns NOT public safety concerns. If this virus grabs villagers there will be lots of houses on the market next spring, I’m afraid.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:23 AM
Sage

A question posted anonymously: Do some posters that have "dr" in their user name actually have a medical degree and if so, in what specialty?
Old 03-12-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
If you're concerned don't go. Why do we always expect organizations or governments or corporations to usurp personal responsibility? Disney is still open, movie theaters are still open, Broadway theaters are still open, restaurants are still open, and here, the squares and all the stores and restaurants are also open. Self quarantine is an option if you are concerned (assuming you can find toilet paper). Minor league baseball continues, NASCAR continues, Olympic trials continue so not sure "the rest of the sports world" is with the NBA and college basketball. That may change but asking government to take charge of my life is not anywhere near my wheelhouse.
You don’t seem to be taking this pandemic quite serious enough. Yesterday a gentleman walked into a pro shop To check in and announced that he had just returned from Italy. He was coughing and wiping his nose. I think we all should be concerned since we are in a most vulnerable age group here in The Villages. Although you may not like government interference in your life, it is very important that you follow the guidelines that they have suggested. Not to do so would be foolish and selfish. Frankly, I am hoping that many of the concerts scheduled in the very near future are canceled. It is just a matter of time before Sumter county is affected. We do not live in a “bubble.“ Wake up, sir or madam.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drdoug49 View Post
The villages is composed of vulnerable elderly people, yet we continue to have nightly entertainment at the squares, recreational centers do not have sanitizers in rooms, why not
Apparently people are stealing the sanitizers from the rec centers. They were there.
Closed Thread

Tags
rest, villages, virus, events, world

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.