What is the Villages response to the Carona Virus

Closed Thread
Old 03-12-2020, 11:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texased View Post
When, not if, the first case hits The Villages you will see a complete shutdown here but until that time money is the only reality that drives the officials.
You just hit the nail on the head! How unfortunate for all of us.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:00 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

My wife who spends two days a week helping a teacher in the classroom received this today->

Wildwood Volunteers Canceled Week of March 16, 2020

Tutors for Kids received the following information from Mr. Temple, principal of Wildwood Elementary School:

"We are asking all volunteers not to come in next week (3/16-3/20).

This is only precautionary, there are no known cases in Sumter at this time.

Please let all our tutors know, our staff is working to make sure we take all precautions to keep everyone healthy and safe."

You may also hear from your teacher and STC but we'd rather you receive this information several times than miss anyone. We will keep you informed if there are updates.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

I "overheard a conversation in a bar" that the Sumter county health department director has for several days been trying to get the Family to issue orders to stop large group events. And that the Family is beginning to see the wisdom of that action. It is not going to be a good look if the virus hits here hard and it turns out that public health had asked the Family to be proactive and instead they felt it was dollars over disease prevention. It may turn out that the compromise will be that the health department, if the state allows, will issue the edict and then the Family will be able to say, we didn't stop you from having fun, it was the government.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:01 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
I "overheard a conversation in a bar" that the Sumter county health department director has for several days been trying to get the Family to issue orders to stop large group events. And that the Family is beginning to see the wisdom of that action. It is not going to be a good look if the virus hits here hard and it turns out that public health had asked the Family to be proactive and instead they felt it was dollars over disease prevention. It may turn out that the compromise will be that the health department, if the state allows, will issue the edict and then the Family will be able to say, we didn't stop you from having fun, it was the government.

I will ask my postman's cousin barber to confirm.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:18 PM

I agree with those who want to make their own decisions. Any one afraid of catching it stay at home and just don’t go out. As for me, I am going to continue enjoying my life, as we all have go at some point.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:26 PM

You nailed it.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:34 PM

You nailed it!
Old 03-12-2020, 01:36 PM

Your on your own here, people still grabbing door handles with bare hands to open them, not covering their mouths when they cough, social Darwinism at work
Old 03-12-2020, 01:38 PM

Personal responsibility. I carry small amount of hand sanitizer with me when out
Old 03-12-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houselover View Post
When will The Villages get on board with the rest of the world and cancel events at the Sharon, Savannah Center, and other events where large numbers of people gather in a confined area? Is the NBA and the rest of sports world the only organization who understand the serious nature of the Corona virus..
So let’s not cancel events, all the people who just returned from cruises return and go to Savannah Center, etc. Other unsuspecting guest go, now they contract the virus. 5-7 days later, boom and away it goes! Yes, I agree you control your own destiny, but now you’ve just continued the cycle in a very susceptible population!! Why has the president banned travel to Europe, most every governor asked for bans of gatherings over 250, NBA, NCAA canceled or suspended play! YES, activities in the VILLAGES SHOULD BE SUSPENDED until clear!
Old 03-12-2020, 04:41 PM
Platinum member

it's starting to happen. trivia tomorrow night has been cancelled. also, a meeting on Sat.
Old 03-12-2020, 05:05 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houselover View Post
When will The Villages get on board with the rest of the world and cancel events at the Sharon, Savannah Center, and other events where large numbers of people gather in a confined area? Is the NBA and the rest of sports world the only organization who understand the serious nature of the Corona virus..

After reviewing the new study wrt how long COVID-19 remains active on surfaces, I couldn’t agree more. And, yet, there are some here who think, for example, it’s ok to shake hands. Incredible.
Old 03-12-2020, 05:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,460 Times in 3,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhite5773 View Post
So let’s not cancel events, all the people who just returned from cruises return and go to Savannah Center, etc. Other unsuspecting guest go, now they contract the virus. 5-7 days later, boom and away it goes! Yes, I agree you control your own destiny, but now you’ve just continued the cycle in a very susceptible population!! Why has the president banned travel to Europe, most every governor asked for bans of gatherings over 250, NBA, NCAA canceled or suspended play! YES, activities in the VILLAGES SHOULD BE SUSPENDED until clear!
He hasn't banned travel to Europe. He has banned travel FROM Europe, except for the UK, for anyone who isn't a US Citizen. And US Citizens coming FROM a trip abroad have to be screened before being given re-entry.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:10 PM
Veteran member

Actually broadway is now closed, and so is Disney in california.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 Challenger View Post
I agree with those who want to make their own decisions. Any one afraid of catching it stay at home and just don’t go out. As for me, I am going to continue enjoying my life, as we all have go at some point.
I agree that if you are concerned, just stay home.

Tags
rest, villages, virus, events, world

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.