What we now know about how to fight the delta variant of COVID |

Closed Thread
Old 08-16-2021, 07:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
According to the CDC: “Having obesity may triple the risk of hospitalization due to a COVID-19 infection“
Every time you hear about some 12 year old who died of covid, take a look at the pictures. It's not some kid who's got pictures of little league or football practice, mountain climbing, etc. it's typically a kid whose parents let them eat themselves into double their appropriate body weight. There are exceptions, but obesity is CLEARLY a leading cause of death in Covid patients and there is a ton of data that backs it up.
Old 08-17-2021, 04:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
I would like to see the data that supports your claim that the average person in the US has at least two of either, heart disease, lung disease, diabetes or hypertension…
I did not make that claim.

Hopefully, that aggregation of personal health information is not available on the internet, at least for living individuals.

As I stated in the post you quoted, my point is only about the 78% number given in the particular study.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-17-2021, 06:36 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,295 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
I did not make that claim.

Hopefully, that aggregation of personal health information is not available on the internet, at least for living individuals.

As I stated in the post you quoted, my point is only about the 78% number given in the particular study.
I posted that 78% of Covid deaths were among the overweight and obese and if you were obese you were 3X more likely to be hospitalized. My post also stated that those who died from Covid averaged 2.4 of the following comorbidities; heart disease, lung disease, diabetes and hypertension.
You replied: That *IS* a cross section of the US population!!

So, show me where the average American has 2.4 of those health issues.

You can’t. And my statement remains the same. Covid deaths are predominantly among people who are overweight and in poor health. That is statistically true.
Old 08-17-2021, 06:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
I posted that 78% of Covid deaths were among the overweight and obese and if you were obese you were 3X more likely to be hospitalized. My post also stated that those who died from Covid averaged 2.4 of the following comorbidities; heart disease, lung disease, diabetes and hypertension.

You can’t. And my statement remains the same. Covid deaths are predominantly among people who are overweight and in poor health. That is statistically true.
As I stated, I hope the data to "show me where" does not exist on the internet. (Though I will note, again, that I did not make any claim about 2.4 comorbidities)

Your statement that covid deaths are predominantly among people who are overweight and in poor health remains true and the statement that 78% of hospitalized covid patients in one study were overweight or obese (CDC) may also be true. My statement is also true that if approximately 78% of the American population is overweight or obese then weight alone is not an indicator of covid hospitalization.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-17-2021, 07:00 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
As I stated, I hope the data to "show me where" does not exist on the internet. (Though I will note, again, that I did not make any claim about 2.4 comorbidities)

Your statement that covid deaths are predominantly among people who are overweight and in poor health remains true and the statement that 78% of hospitalized covid patients in one study were overweight or obese (CDC) may also be true. My statement is also true that if approximately 78% of the American population is overweight or obese then weight alone is not an indicator of covid hospitalization.
How about the statement from the CDC that says if you are obese, you are 3X more likely to be hospitalized with Covid?
Old 08-17-2021, 07:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
How about the statement from the CDC that says if you are obese, you are 3X more likely to be hospitalized with Covid?
That statement is not proven by an article that shows the demographics of patients matches the demographics of the US population.

Perhaps the article was poorly written. Perhaps the statistics were bad. Perhaps any number of things. As I wrote previously, it is not my intention to make a claim about the risk of covid, only that the numbers presented do not appear to support the assertion that weight is a significant factor. It might be, but that can't be seen from these numbers.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-17-2021, 08:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:

"You can’t. And my statement remains the same. Covid deaths are predominantly among people who are overweight and in poor health. That is statistically true. "

It is. And it is probably the ONLY statistic in this whole mess that is for the most part unchangeable.

...Which points out the problem with this entire "discussion". It has degenerated over time to, at best, dueling statistics. At worst, it is people basically choosing up sides and cherry-picking statistics that support their beliefs while ignoring those numbers which do not. It has been evident for some time now that the number of people looking not for information but for VALIDATION is the problem with this whole COVID "discussion".

I choose not to see it by numbers. Instead I see it in terms of our basic freedoms as Americans. The numbers mean nothing to me.
Old 08-17-2021, 08:50 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,550 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Never heard of anyone catching 'fat' from a fat infected carrrier!'
Fat is a personal choice, as is vaccinating. Apples to apples.
Old 08-17-2021, 09:00 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
That statement is not proven by an article that shows the demographics of patients matches the demographics of the US population.

Perhaps the article was poorly written. Perhaps the statistics were bad. Perhaps any number of things. As I wrote previously, it is not my intention to make a claim about the risk of covid, only that the numbers presented do not appear to support the assertion that weight is a significant factor. It might be, but that can't be seen from these numbers.
How can you use this tag line on your posts, and ignore the facts.
“COVID: Some people insist on denying what is right before their eyes. I am not trying to convince you, I am trying to provide real, verifiable data for any who care to see it.”
🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯
According to the CDC, if you are obese, you are 3X more likely to be hospitalized with Covid…
Old 08-17-2021, 09:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
How can you use this tag line on your posts, and ignore the facts.
“COVID: Some people insist on denying what is right before their eyes. I am not trying to convince you, I am trying to provide real, verifiable data for any who care to see it.”
🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯
According to the CDC, if you are obese, you are 3X more likely to be hospitalized with Covid…
I am not ignoring any facts at all.

Read what I wrote: I did not attempt to dispute the CDC statement. My point is they could not support that statement with a survey that shows 78% of hospitalized patients are overweight or obese.

If you are 3X more likely to be hospitalized with Covid when you are overweight or obese then the survey would show that nearly 90% of hospitalized patients are overweight or obese. That particular study did not show that. That particular study does not support the 3X assertion. The 3X assertion may be correct but other data must have been used to derive it.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-17-2021, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Your link is from a far right source. It is important not to ju$t $imply cite a $ource the$e days — you need to really con$ider what’$ behind it.

If you would like to learn more about Robert Malone and his claims, google his name and theatlantic.com and you will find an article that I hope will give you some more to think about.
I wouldn't necessarily consider The Atlantic to be a reliable source. It's left leaning and the article referenced is an opinion piece. An opinion by a well informed author but an opinion nonetheless.

I wouldn't entirely dismiss Malone. Even The Atlantic concedes he was a pioneer in the science behind these vaccines. I'm a simple layman for sure but as far as I can tell, everything he's saying in that podcast follows the information presented by the OP.

From what I've seen and read about Malone, his primary theme is that we should be focusing on treatment rather than having a reliance simply on vaccines. He believes there are repurposed drugs out there that are very effective in treating early stage COVID. And, for whatever reasons, Fauci, the FDA and the CDC are not relaying that important information to the general public.
Old 08-17-2021, 09:23 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I am not ignoring any facts at all.

Read what I wrote: I did not attempt to dispute the CDC statement. My point is they could not support that statement with a survey that shows 78% of hospitalized patients are overweight or obese.

If you are 3X more likely to be hospitalized with Covid when you are overweight or obese then the survey would show that nearly 90% of hospitalized patients are overweight or obese. That particular study did not show that. That particular study does not support the 3X assertion. The 3X assertion may be correct but other data must have been used to derive it.
Comprehension Bill. If you are OBESE, you are 3X more likely to be hospitalized with Covid. NOT if you are obese or overweight. If you are OBESE you are 3X more likely to be hospitalized with Covid.
Old 08-17-2021, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,017 Times in 1,743 Posts

When Covid was first really noticed (around March 2020) there was a bariatric surgeon, Dr Vuong, from Texas who treated over weight patients. He noticed (and posted many you tube videos why this happened) that his relatively young but overweight patients, after a long successful fight to lose weight, dropped like flies from Covid. The doctor explained how being obese permanently damages lung cells and makes one so susceptible to dying from Covid. His YouTube on “How Covid-19 kills-I’m a surgeon…” was a wake-up call for me as some of my family is quite over weight.
Old 08-17-2021, 09:40 AM
Sage

Quote:

Quote:
Comprehension Bill. If you are OBESE, you are 3X more likely to be hospitalized with Covid. NOT if you are obese or overweight. If you are OBESE you are 3X more likely to be hospitalized with Covid.
If OBESE make up 42% of the population and were 3X more likely to be hospitalized then the overweight or OBESE percentage would only be in the 84% to 87% range. Now we're getting close to a statistically insignificant difference from 78% which again shows that these data do not prove the 3X statement.

And one FINAL time: I am not disputing the 3X statement, I am disputing that this survey demonstrates that statement.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-17-2021, 10:29 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
If OBESE make up 42% of the population and were 3X more likely to be hospitalized then the overweight or OBESE percentage would only be in the 84% to 87% range. Now we're getting close to a statistically insignificant difference from 78% which again shows that these data do not prove the 3X statement.

And one FINAL time: I am not disputing the 3X statement, I am disputing that this survey demonstrates that statement.
Bill, are you really having trouble comprehending? If you are OBESE you are 3X more likely to be hospitalized with Covid.
You are 3X more likely than anyone who is NOT obese to be hospitalized.
If you are OBESE your chances of being hospitalized with Covid TRIPLES.
So if you use the CDC’s numbers, 69% of Covid hospitalizations are people who were OBESE.
Closed Thread

Tags
delta, virus, vaccinated, vaccines, person

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.