What's up with shingles?

Closed Thread
Old 02-27-2015, 05:34 PM
Sage

The first time I talked to a doctor about getting a shingles vaccination, he told me the chance of getting shingles without the vaccination is 3 out of 100. Then he said, "If you get the vaccination your chance of getting shingles will be 2 out of 100." At the time, it was not covered and would have been expensive so I didn't get it.

Years later it was covered by my HMO and the co-payment was only $35 dollars so I got it.

Last edited by Villages PL; 02-28-2015 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
You have had doctors apologize for offering information and making you aware of certain treatments that may improve your health? And they blame the ACA for their need to counsel you? You not only need a shingles shot; you need new doctors.
Eternal Member

I've had shingles 3 times. The first 2 were fairly small areas but "Very Painful" !!! The 3rd time was horrible. I was in a lot of pain for 6 months. I still have scars from the blisters I had.
Sage
Thanked 5,499 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
The first time I talked to a doctor about getting a shingles vaccination, he told me the chance of getting shingles without the vaccination was 3 out of 100. Then he said, "If you get the vaccination your chance of getting shingles will be 2 out of 100." At the time, it was not covered and would have been expensive so I didn't get it.

Years later it was covered by my HMO and the co-payment was only $35 dollars so I got it.

Age 60 or Older? Get Shingles Vaccine
Old 02-27-2015, 06:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
I've had shingles 3 times. The first 2 were fairly small areas but "Very Painful" !!! The 3rd time was horrible. I was in a lot of pain for 6 months. I still have scars from the blisters I had.
Bonny, did you get the Shingles Vaccine?
I've had Shingles twice with no pain. Luckily I knew what it was and ran to a walk-in clinic.
It makes all the difference in the world if you get immediate treatment.
My doctor advised me I could get Shingles a third time, but with the vaccine, it will be less severe.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post

I'm sorry you had to go through that. I've had the shot, but my wife has had shingles twice near her eye and scalp. The first put her to bed for weeks.

By the way, apparently you should not get a shingles shot once you have had shingles. And When I had my shot I had to keep away from my wife for 10 days since a live virus is involved.

Again Bonny, I'm sorry for your pain.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I've had Shingles twice with no pain. Luckily I knew what it was and ran to a walk-in clinic.
My doctor advised me I could get Shingles a third time, but with the vaccine, it will be less severe.

Bare - please check. My wife was told by 2 of her docs that she should not ever have a shingles shot since she has had shingles. But she has MS and that may create a separate issue.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:13 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
No. I never did get the vaccine. Not sure if I'm going to. The really bad time I had it was 2004. The other 2 times were a couple of years before that.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:18 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
I'm sorry you had to go through that. I've had the shot, but my wife has had shingles twice near her eye and scalp. The first put her to bed for weeks.

By the way, apparently you should not get a shingles shot once you have had shingles. And When I had my shot I had to keep away from my wife for 10 days since a live virus is involved.

Again Bonny, I'm sorry for your pain.
Sounds like your wife suffered as well.
I had it on my left side from my scalp to my waist.
I had a couple of blisters around my eye. When one of the scabs came off it took a section of my lower lashes and they never did grow back.
I was in bed for almost 2 months. It was awful.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member

It is a false rumor that once you had shingles you should not get the shingles shot......WHY! You can get shingles a number of times as some of our posters have had. GET the Shingles Dont wait...you dont want it!
Old 02-27-2015, 06:39 PM
Sage
Default What's up with shingles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
It is a false rumor that once you had shingles you should not get the shingles shot......WHY! You can get shingles a number of times as some of our posters have had. GET the Shingles Dont wait...you dont want it!

It is not a rumor if you have or have had a neurological condition (or certain other conditions). Please be careful about making blanket statements. My wife has been categorically told not to have the shingles shot. And she is an RN to boot.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member

There may be conditiions that do not allow a shingles shot to begin with.....I was not and cannot address that specific issue. If a person is healthy and gets shingles....they can get shingles again. My whole point is GET a shingles shot especially if your Dr advised you to do so. Highly suggest YOU bring it up with your Dr............be proactivite on this issue.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
There may be conditiions that do not allow a shingles shot to begin with.....I was not and cannot address that specific issue. If a person is healthy and gets shingles....they can get shingles again. My whole point is GET a shingles shot especially if your Dr advised you to do so.

I agree 100%
Old 02-27-2015, 10:04 PM

My sweetie had shingles a number of years ago, and it was awful. Once he recovered, he got the shot and encouraged me to get it, too. I was dragging my feet until he told me that you can even get it on your face and in your eyes. Got the shot!
Old 02-27-2015, 11:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
Bare - please check. My wife was told by 2 of her docs that she should not ever have a shingles shot since she has had shingles. But she has MS and that may create a separate issue.
Dbussone, thanks for your concern.
I checked with two doctors and my Neurologist before I had the vaccination last year.
They all assured me the vaccine might not prevent a third episode, but if I did get Shingles for a third time,
the vaccination would at least lessen the severity.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.