Wheat Belly

Closed Thread
Old 05-01-2013, 05:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
I think "Wheat Belly" will be enjoyed more by women than men. In the opening chapters it sounded to me like it was for women as the author talked about certain emotional aspects, though I don't remember exactly what that was. Then I looked to see who the author was and, sure enough, it was a woman. Sorry, I just couldn't relate to it and wasn't very impressed by it.

I think it was chapter 3 that talked about monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFAs). That was a little better than the first 2 chapters. But I don't recall any limit being set on fat consumption. Even if you consume "good" fats there must be some limit. What was it, if any?

Now I remember what I didn't like about the first chapter. It consisted of a big big sales pitch of the diet to come in the rest of the book. I kept thinking: Come-on, let's get to it! It reminded me of real estate people who, while driving you to see a house, will say, "you're gonna love this house". And you're thinking, "I'm not going to love it just because you say so."

Therefore, anyone who's thinking of reading "wheat Belly" can totally skip the first chaper and you will not be missing anything important.
Am I missing something here? The book was written by a preventative cardiologist by the name of Dr. William Davis---NOT a woman. The doctor practices what he preaches. Has a blog even! There was an article--no, more than one, in The Daily Sun about a man here in The Villages who read Wheat Belly and put it to work. Also took up walking---lost a lot of weight and got off from some of his RX meds!!! You can do what you want or think as you want---but this plan works well!!! I WILL agree with the above poster that there are some parts of the book that I skipped as I'm not a chemist nor do I care about some of the technical aspects of gluten etc. I just like how I feel after eliminating gluten and sugar from my food plan.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:01 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Am I missing something here? The book was written by a preventative cardiologist by the name of Dr. William Davis---NOT a woman. The doctor practices what he preaches. Has a blog even! There was an article--no, more than one, in The Daily Sun about a man here in The Villages who read Wheat Belly and put it to work. Also took up walking---lost a lot of weight and got off from some of his RX meds!!! You can do what you want or think as you want---but this plan works well!!! I WILL agree with the above poster that there are some parts of the book that I skipped as I'm not a chemist nor do I care about some of the technical aspects of gluten etc. I just like how I feel after eliminating gluten and sugar from my food plan.
Oops! I just realized what happened. I borrowed a book from the library several weeks ago and the title was: "Flat Belly Diet" by Liz Vaccariello. Then, as time went by, I began to think "Wheat Belly". I got my bellies mixed up! When I got to chapter 4 I stopped. The chapter heading was: The Mind Belly Connection. Not my cup of tea.

Thanks, I'll have to ask the librarian for "Wheat Belly".
Old 05-02-2013, 12:46 PM
Veteran member

Too bad VPL! Sounds like an interesting connection to me. But each to his own.

LW888
Old 05-02-2013, 01:03 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworker888 View Post
Too bad VPL! Sounds like an interesting connection to me. But each to his own.

LW888
All health/diet books have some good information that we can learn from. I just didn't have the patience to stick with it. And it's probably because I don't need to lose any weight. And I might react the same way to "Wheat Belly".
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.