Having a hard time finding a Doc to care for me

Closed Thread
Old 06-12-2013, 12:17 PM
Default Having a hard time finding a Doc to care for me

I have a friend who has been turned away from a Doctor's office & now It is my turn.... I am having a hard time finding a Doc to care for me.... My other friend is having a hard time believing that a Doc can do that... so per the net......... The doctor's office can turn you away because this is his/her private business and the same goes for privately owned urgent care facilities.... so if you have a problem the Doc doesn't want to do, they have the right to turn you away...... Now for the E.R.'s they can not turn you away, BUT, they can Pacify you send you home & hope if you come back there will be another Doc to handle it (it is called "PASS THE BUCK")
Old 06-12-2013, 01:05 PM
Sage

Might help if you could give us an idea of the specific condition he didn't want to treat.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:41 PM
Gold member

huh?????????
Old 06-12-2013, 07:50 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe

It is the usual practice by doctor's offices here in Indiana as well.

A doctor sets a numerical limit to how big his practice can be and for those asking it is a no---the doctor is not taking new patients right now. He cannot take care of everyone or those that he already has can't get in.

I know that does not help your situation.

We have a physicians referral service associated with our hospitals that let you know which doctors are taking new patients. Is there such a thing there?
Old 06-12-2013, 08:12 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

bad in nj - some doctors are not taking any new medicare patients - just keeping their currnet medicare patients! and with so many new boomers becoming medicare participants, what are they to do?

Old 06-12-2013, 08:26 PM
Send a message via AIM to LynnDeb

I have problems with the Doctors too...I'm not of medicare age yet, alot of them wont take my primary ins. from NY
Old 06-12-2013, 08:33 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnDeb View Post
I have problems with the Doctors too...I'm not of medicare age yet, alot of them wont take my primary ins. from NY
lyndeb - did you contact your ins carrier and ask them if they could tell you who does accept your coverage in the 32159 and 32162 zip code areas? i can do that on-line with my carrier - maybe you can, too? of course, ya might need to search other nearby zip codes, too.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:39 PM
Send a message via AIM to LynnDeb
Default No Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
lyndeb - did you contact your ins carrier and ask them if they could tell you who does accept your coverage in the 32159 and 32162 zip code areas? i can do that on-line with my carrier - maybe you can, too? of course, ya might need to search other nearby zip codes, too.
Yes, I have GHI of NY not a multi-plan & I do use their site as well as call them
Old 06-12-2013, 10:18 PM

It is a very long complicated situation... let me start with I have 18 abdominal Surgeries, I now have my 10th hernia located in the upper portion of my abdomen. I went to my family Doc who told me to go to my GI doc who told me to go to a surgeon. He basically referred me to Shands. He did not even want to schedule a MRI. He said let Shands requested it…. The surgery is too high risk, he said it will be a tough operation and I would be in worst shape after than now…. Problem is if I do nothing the hernia can cut off the blood supply in my intestines and the adhesions can do the same on my organs…. If I have the operation, there is a very high risk for complications to occur….. I will wait till I hear from Shands, go see them to see what they say…. Reminder, Shands turned me away back in 2010, saying there is nothing they can do. This Doc thinks now that I have a possible incarcerated hernia, they MAY try to go in now….. Time will tell all…All I have to say is I am really getting tired of fighting this…. So far it has been a week and I have not heard from Shands yet…. But there is a lot more to the story.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLBellis View Post
It is a very long complicated situation... let me start with I have 18 abdominal Surgeries, I now have my 10th hernia located in the upper portion of my abdomen. I went to my family Doc who told me to go to my GI doc who told me to go to a surgeon. He basically referred me to Shands. He did not even want to schedule a MRI. He said let Shands requested it…. The surgery is too high risk, he said it will be a tough operation and I would be in worst shape after than now…. Problem is if I do nothing the hernia can cut off the blood supply in my intestines and the adhesions can do the same on my organs…. If I have the operation, there is a very high risk for complications to occur….. I will wait till I hear from Shands, go see them to see what they say…. Reminder, Shands turned me away back in 2010, saying there is nothing they can do. This Doc thinks now that I have a possible incarcerated hernia, they MAY try to go in now….. Time will tell all…All I have to say is I am really getting tired of fighting this…. So far it has been a week and I have not heard from Shands yet…. But there is a lot more to the story.
That is very troubling and sounds very complicated. I know many of us will be hoping and praying that there is an answer to your problem and a good outcome.

Hugs,
Gracie
Old 06-25-2013, 11:12 PM

Update!!!! Shands turned me away again (for the 2nd time) they said that I DO need surgery, but it is too complicated.But they did not do any testing to come up with that. I asked the Doc. So It is "let go, let God" he said yes! I brought my friend with me as a witness because people do not believe me when I tell what these Doc's tell me.... she was shocked.... she can not believe that these Doc. do not want to help me.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:15 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I suspect that "there is a lot more to the story" indeed.... All the best to you, and yes, since you posted these details, please do post also how things work out. Thank you.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear of all the problems you're having but I wonder why you don't believe what the doctors are telling you. If you've had 18 abdominal surgeries, what makes you think that all you need is one more? When they tell you that the surgery is too high risk and you will end up worse, why would you want it? Have you ever considered that maybe it's time to stop fighting it and accept what they're telling you?
Old 06-27-2013, 06:03 PM

Just a couple of questions..... When was your last surgery? Where was it performed?
Old 06-27-2013, 06:23 PM
Sage

Have you thought about Mayo in Jacksonville???
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.