When eating healthy becomes an unhealthy obsession.

Closed Thread
Old 07-21-2013, 06:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
Nip it in the bud by stigmatizing careful eaters as being Orthorexic.
Do you think it's possible that Anorexics also consider themselves "careful eaters"?
Old 07-21-2013, 06:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
You raised a good point and I think it's the reason why close to 80% of diets fail. People have been told (promoted by the fast food industry) that they should be able to eat all their favorite foods in moderation. But it's just not realistic. Today, fast-foods are an addiction for most people and the fast food industry doesn't want that "gravy-train" to stop. If more and more people get the idea that they have to eliminate certain foods altogether, fast-food industry profits could take a big hit. So, what to do? Nip it in the bud by stigmatizing healthy eaters as being Orthorexic.
I've never heard people say "eat with moderation" meaning that one should "be able to all their favorite foods in moderation". What I think it means is "don't starve and deprive yourself" and "don't pig out, either"! To me, eating a "moderate" amount of a fattening food means a "reasonable" amount....not too much, and not "none" or "so little that you keep on craving it and so you keep shoving substitutes in that do not help". If somebody craves a steak, a lettuce salad is not going to help. So in other words, have a steak now and then--not often--and don't make it a 3 pound one, but make it a "moderate" sized one with a "moderate" amount of fat that can be trimmed off once it has provided some flavor to the meat.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
I've never heard people say "eat with moderation" meaning that one should "be able to all their favorite foods in moderation". What I think it means is "don't starve and deprive yourself" and "don't pig out, either"! To me, eating a "moderate" amount of a fattening food means a "reasonable" amount....not too much, and not "none" or "so little that you keep on craving it and so you keep shoving substitutes in that do not help". If somebody craves a steak, a lettuce salad is not going to help. So in other words, have a steak now and then--not often--and don't make it a 3 pound one, but make it a "moderate" sized one with a "moderate" amount of fat that can be trimmed off once it has provided some flavor to the meat.
In the past, there have been people saying "everything in moderation". But, of course, they never quite state how it really works. And no one ever questioned them about it. So it's all left up to one's imagination. With no guidelines, I take it to mean "everything".

Many years ago, I studied the Zone philosophy by Dr. Sears. It had its good points and bad points. One good thing about it was that it offered concrete guidelines. For example, a woman, being generally smaller than a man, would be allowed to eat a 3 oz portion of meat. A man would be allowed a 4 oz. portion. There were also guidlines for fat and carbs.

But since I moved on I have found other diet regimens that don't require animal protein and I don't feel at all deprived. I call myself a vegan, but I do allow myself a small amount of animal protein. For example, 3 jumbo (omega-3) eggs per week (one every other day during the week) and about 3 ounces ounces of salmon per week. I started on the eggs about 3 months ago because Egglands Best eggs are rich in iodine and I needed a little more iodine to bring my thyroid function up to normal. I also started using a small amount of iodized salt. My doctor had told me that diet wouldn't make any difference but I proved him wrong.

I'll tell you something that most people refuse to believe: I don't crave fast food and I really like the natural whole foods that I eat every day. My diet consists of fresh fruit, non-starchy vegetables, legumes, nuts, and whole grains. I use a small amount of olive oil and lemon juice as a dressing for salads, and a small amount of olive oil to flavor soups.

Last edited by Villages PL; 07-22-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
In the plast, there have been people saying "everything in moderation". But, of course, they never quite state how it really works. And no one ever questioned them about it. So it's all left up to one's imagination. With no guidelines, I take it to mean "everything".

Many years ago, I studied the Zone philosophy by Dr. Sears. It had its good points and bad points. One good thing about it was that it offered concrete guidelines. For example, a woman, being generally smaller than a man, would be allowed to eat a 3 oz portion of meat. A man would be allowed a 4 oz. portion. There were also guidlines for fat and carbs.

But since I moved on I have found other diet regimens that don't require animal protein and I don't feel at all deprived. I call myself a vegan, but I do allow myself a small amount of animal protein. For example, 3 jumbo (omega-3) eggs per week (one every other day during the week) and about 3 ounces ounces of salmon per week. I started on the eggs about 3 months ago because Egglands Best eggs are rich in iodine and I needed a little more iodine to bring my thyroid function up to normal. I also started using a small amount of iodized salt. My doctor had told me that diet wouldn't make any difference but I proved him wrong.

I'll tell you something that most people refuse to believe: I don't crave fast food and I really like the natural whole foods that I eat every day. My diet consists of fresh fruit, non-starchy vegetables, legumes, nuts, and whole grains. I use a small amount of olive oil and lemon juice as a dressing for salads, and a small amount of olive oil to flavor soups.
The definition of moderation is very simple and easy to understand. "The avoidance of excess or extremes".
Old 07-22-2013, 04:21 AM
Sage

perhaps in the dictionary, but with food most don't draw the line where they should.

If folks could do it do U think so many would be over weight?

Moderation is word used by people who don't have will power, it's an excuse.

is it one cookie or 6, next time is it.......
Old 07-22-2013, 04:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
perhaps in the dictionary, but with food most don't draw the line where they should.

If folks could do it do U think so many would be over weight?

Moderation is word used by people who don't have will power, it's an excuse.

is it one cookie or 6, next time is it.......
I "hear you" but , in my own opinion, I would think that many when they say "moderation" are referring to the fact that on a daily basis they would adhere to a sensible diet (whatever that may be for them personally) but they would enjoy "other foods" when celebrating an occasion with family and friends.....again, whether it be a holiday dinner or an evening out.
Just my opinion.

To me, moderation would not mean indulging in ice cream for dessert at every meal, or even each night...........but never say never......in other words, not so strict that one can never enjoy a certain food or dessert.

We hardly eat beef anymore...........but if we were having a barbecue, I would indulge in a grilled hamburger.........

Also, when one has a family that visits.........one has to think of all the varied "tastes" and make something for everyone.......

If one lives alone, it's a lot easier to stick to a more rigid routine..........

But I totally understand all of those who proclaim "All things in moderation".......

There are folks who could eat a thin sliver of cheesecake at a celebratory meal........while there are others who could devour the entire cheesecake.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:47 AM

15 years ago I lost 20 lbs on Weight Watchers. I have not gained any of the weight back. I am 5'2" and weigh 110 lbs. I eat everything I want per the WW plan in moderation. What is my definition of moderation? Last week I had a craving for Cheesecake Factory cheesecake. We went, I ordered a slice, ate 2 bites and gave the rest away to my table mates. But I agree, if you crave steak, a salad won't satisfy you. Portion control is important. When I go to a restaurant, I order what I want, ask for a box before I get my meal and cut my dinner in half, place it under my chair and enjoy my meal. Works for me.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applepie View Post
15 years ago I lost 20 lbs on Weight Watchers. I have not gained any of the weight back. I am 5'2" and weigh 110 lbs. I eat everything I want per the WW plan in moderation. What is my definition of moderation? Last week I had a craving for Cheesecake Factory cheesecake. We went, I ordered a slice, ate 2 bites and gave the rest away to my table mates. But I agree, if you crave steak, a salad won't satisfy you. Portion control is important. When I go to a restaurant, I order what I want, ask for a box before I get my meal and cut my dinner in half, place it under my chair and enjoy my meal. Works for me.
Very sensible way of coping with an over abundance of food......

Not to mention, cheesecake is very rich and very caloric......so a bite or two is satisfying enough.......

You are obviously doing something right.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Do you think it's possible that Anorexics also consider themselves "careful eaters"?
Good question. That may very well be true but they break some very important rules of health. 1) They go way too low on the BMI scale and 2) they deprive themselves of the necessary nutrients needed to support life.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
...Moderation is word used by people who don't have will power, it's an excuse...
Gimme a break.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I think moderation, for those who truly employ it, is indicative of a very strong willpower.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Gimme a break.

No, it's fact
Old 07-23-2013, 08:34 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I think moderation, for those who truly employ it, is indicative of a very strong willpower.
Yep.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:43 AM
Sage

If one has to have junk food in moderation, for enjoyment, it sounds like an addiction. Just the fact that you have to have it periodically is very telling. There are alcoholics who only get drunk on weekends. Are they not still alcoholics? If you think it's not an addiction, try not having it anymore and see what happens.

Last edited by Villages PL; 07-23-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
If you think it's not an addiction, try not having it anymore and see what happens.
Agree, try it with your favorite unhealthy food
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.