When experiencing a Heart Attack when alone.

Closed Thread
Old 08-21-2017, 09:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts
Question When experiencing a Heart Attack when alone.

I would like to hear what some of the doctors on here think about this message I just got on Facebook from one of my friends? She is a Villager but not sure if she looks at Talk of the Villages or not. I have mentioned TOTV to her quite often though.

Quote:
Please pause for 2 minutes and read this:

1. Let’s say it’s 7.25pm and you’re going home (alone of course) after an unusually hard day on the job.
2. You’re really tired, upset and frustrated.
3 Suddenly you start experiencing severe pain in your chest that starts to drag out into your arm and up in to your jaw. You are only about five km from the hospital nearest your home.
4. Unfortunately you don’t know if you’ll be able to make it that far.
5. You have been trained in CPR, but the guy who taught the course did not tell you how to perform it on yourself.
6. HOW TO SURVIVE A HEART ATTACK WHEN ALONE? Since many people are alone when they suffer a heart attack without help, the person whose heart is beating improperly and who begins to feel faint, has only about 10 seconds left before losing consciousness.
7. However, these victims can help themselves by coughing repeatedly and very vigorously. A deep breath should be taken before each cough, and the cough must be deep and prolonged, as when producing sputum from deep inside the chest. A breath and a cough must be repeated about every two seconds without let-up until help arrives, or until the heart is felt to be beating normally again.
8. Deep breaths get oxygen into the lungs and coughing movements squeeze the heart and keep the blood circulating. The squeezing pressure on the heart also helps it regain normal rhythm. In this way, heart attack victims can get to a hospital.
9. Tell as many other people as possible about this. It could save their lives!!
10. A cardiologist says If everyone who gets this mail kindly sends it to 10 people, you can bet that we’ll save at least one life.
11. Rather than sending jokes, please... contribute by forwarding this mail which can save a person’s life.
12. If this message comes around you... more than once… please don’t get irritated... You should instead, be happy that you have many friends who care about you & keeps reminding you how to deal with a Heart attack.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:14 AM
Gold member

Thank you for posting this!!
Old 08-21-2017, 10:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I would like to hear what some of the doctors on here think about this message I just got on Facebook from one of my friends? She is a Villager but not sure if she looks at Talk of the Villages or not. I have mentioned TOTV to her quite often though.
I'm afraid this advice is confusing myocardial infarction ("heart attack") with a tachyarrhythmia, most likely rapid a-fib. Valsalva maneuvers, such a coughing vigorously, can sometimes break a rapid a-fib. External carotid bulb massage would probably be more effective, but probably not a good idea for an unmonitored amateur that is alone. Best advice---dial 911 as quick as you can---even if you don't get to talk they can trace your cell phone. OnStar is even better if your vehicle is so equipped. Also, items 10-12 sound more like a chain letter than medical advice.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:31 AM
fw102807

Anything that says share with all your friends or how many likes can I get is SPAM or worse "like farming" Google this if you don't know what it is. I worked in IT for decades and have seen this junk circulated for the entire time. At first it was just SPAM but it has become more sinister over the years.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:43 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
Anything that says share with all your friends or how many likes can I get is SPAM or worse "like farming" Google this if you don't know what it is. I worked in IT for decades and have seen this junk circulated for the entire time. At first it was just SPAM but it has become more sinister over the years.
Not if you are the one having a heart attack I get it I get it
Old 08-21-2017, 01:09 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

If I were truly suffering a heart attack I don't believe I would have the energy or inclination to cough deeply every two seconds for 15 or 20 minutes while awaiting the arrival of the EMTs.

IMHO if I coughed like that for any length of time it might give me a heart attack - or worse!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-21-2017, 01:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Cough CPR

Quote:
The American Heart Association does not endorse "cough CPR," a coughing procedure widely publicized on the Internet.

Old 08-22-2017, 06:45 AM

81mg bayer asprin, keep close by all the time. Take asap, about 4 tablets.Call 911. Either order.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeriteri View Post
81mg bayer asprin, keep close by all the time. Take asap, about 4 tablets.Call 911. Either order.
Better chew them as most 81 mg are enteric coated.

Or get these... remember 4 at 81mg or 1 at 325mg
St. Joseph Chewable Aspirin Pain Reliever 81 mg, Tablets Orange | Walgreens

Chewable Aspirin Is Best for the Heart
Old 08-22-2017, 08:58 AM
Gold member
Default For my two cents worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Point number six says you may only have ten seconds.

First you should pull off the road.
Then you should call 911.
That cough maneuver. The suggestion of taking aspirin. Perhaps. Will you have TIME? Will you be mentally alert?
As to aspirin someone mentioned 81mg aspirin and that it is coated-time released. The 81mg aspirin is half does aspirin. It WAS recommended to thin your blood and POSSIBLY lessen the chance of a heart attack or stroke.
Now, some studies say you should and some studies say you should not take it.

I'VE ALREADY USED UP TEN SECONDS WRITING THIS.

The good news is as you get OLDER you develop more blood vessels. For a younger person the first sign of a heart problem is death. We OLD ....... are more likely to survive a heart attack.

As to friends-I have a friend who told me he buys condolence cards by the box load because at our age you find you need them. MY REPLY-was don't buy one for me because it will yellow by the time it is needed and I see little chance that I will be able to read the card anyway.
Closed Thread

Tags
heart, attack, deep, save, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.