Why

Closed Thread
Old 07-02-2019, 08:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

I read this post with interest because I could see myself. I walk fast, I move fast, I talk fast and I expect others to do the same. That said I do have some comments on the points made:
Someone said about people shopping as couples – yes I have often seen this, but I have also seen that one of them is either infirm or actually has some form of dementia and cannot be left at home alone. Yes, it is painful when one of the them steps off to get something off the shelf and leaves the other standing in the middle of the aisle with the cart. Annoying yes, but when I stop and actually think about it I realize it could be me and how lucky I am not to have to deal with that situation, and how much real time does it cost you out of your day?

Coming up on someone doing the speed limit, or just under, yes very annoying, but hopefully you will come to a place in the road where you can safely pass.

One of my pet peeves, having someone come rushing out of a turning in front of you and then slow right down and made worse by the fact that there is nothing behind you. My husband and I have discussed this and realized that the person jumping out of the turning in front of you is a terrible driver and has no idea what they are doing.

To the person who lives here and is still working …. You have chosen to live in a retirement community, leave earlier to get wherever you are going in the event you are going to get held up. When I lived in Massachusetts I used to have to leave half an hour earlier just to get on the highway!!!

I believe it all comes down to a lack of commonsense, a commodity much lacking these days.

No, I am not a perpetual optimist, but after having a major stroke scare a year or so ago, I learned Yoga breathing, so that when I am on the verge on standing on my horn in frustration I practice Yoga deep breathing which really does work, and I can feel my blood pressure going down.

So now, within the next five minutes, I am going to go out in the car and hope I can practice what I preach.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 07-02-2019, 01:07 PM

[QUOTE=PennBF;1660923] There should be clubs to deal with these unfortunate hyper people and help them to learn to just "Chill"

The clubs do exist. Perhaps if you carried one everywhere you go, you could deal more effectively with the offenders. A slight whack upside the head might do wonders. Or, maybe they are Snowbirds from the NE and just don't adapt quickly. ( I tried, but just couldn't resist.)
Old 07-02-2019, 01:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,950 Times in 1,706 Posts

Hubby and I have totally different approaches to driving. He notices everyone on the road, he is always scanning, never still. He judges, grumbles and swears at almost every driver, occasionally also “teaches” them a lesson. Very stressful, in my opinion. When I drive I put on my music (have a wonderful sound system) sing along sometimes, try not irritate other drivers with my driving and drive as safely as I can. Generally don’t care what other drivers do as long as they don’t hit me. In all the decades of driving I have had no moving violations. But I must say hubby is the safer driver - and I am the happier one.
Same attitude towards shopping. I feel sorry for those who don’t have the time or the interest to enjoy the moment because that is all we have for sure.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditka41 View Post
The clubs do exist. Perhaps if you carried one everywhere you go, you could deal more effectively with the offenders. A slight whack upside the head might do wonders. Or, maybe they are Snowbirds from the NE and just don't adapt quickly. ( I tried, but just couldn't resist.)

Old 07-02-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
We have been in The Villages for more than 10 years and notice that one thing has not changed. There are a group of residents who cannot slow down and enjoy life. In the Markets they are the ones who race to get to the cashier, that shove by you, they are the ones that consider driving is a competition and will rush to beat you at a light, cut you off and would never allow you to get by them. When you go into a restaurant they are ones who's legs are bouncing like a paddle ball, or because of uncontrolled anxieties and will yell at the waiter/waitress if it takes more than 10 minutes for your food. There should be clubs to deal with these unfortunate hyper people and help them to learn to just "Chill" and when they find themselves rushing, experiencing high anxieties to say to themselves to stop, walk slow, show patience with their neighbors and enjoy the life they worked to so hard to have. The next time you are in a restaurant or show, etc. look around and see how many are bouncing their legs and can't just relax and have a softer life. Is that you??
It's a regional culture thing as a generality (allowing a for a few exceptions): There ar several thousands of New Yorkers (the metro area kind), New Jhoosey people, and a few Bostonians who have not yet acclimated. We moved up to here from near the Palm Beach county crowd-too many transplants there with these "in your face", aggressive habits, general lack of civility, if not downright rudeness. We are hoping to get away from all that by enjoying the greater mix of people from the middle west, the real South, the western states (less some of California) who generally know or at least try to gear down to enjoy an easier, genteel pace of retired life.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:05 PM

There seems to be a Village contest as to who has the fastest golf cart. My electric moves along nicely, topping out at 17 MPH. But time and again those behind me must get by me at 22 and even 27 MPH. They arrive perhaps 2 minutes before me. Do they REALLY need to use those extra two minutes in a do-or-die situation?? Is there some sort of a prize awaiting them?

ReTyred
Old 07-02-2019, 07:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickbent View Post
It's a regional culture thing as a generality (allowing a for a few exceptions): There ar several thousands of New Yorkers (the metro area kind), New Jhoosey people, and a few Bostonians who have not yet acclimated. We moved up to here from near the Palm Beach county crowd-too many transplants there with these "in your face", aggressive habits, general lack of civility, if not downright rudeness. We are hoping to get away from all that by enjoying the greater mix of people from the middle west, the real South, the western states (less some of California) who generally know or at least try to gear down to enjoy an easier, genteel pace of retired life.
Yup, when a person is new here they, including me, Usually Paint With A Wide Brush. I'm a Jorsey person who has made great strides at losing the Edge you speak of. It's a survival technique in the Tri-State area you know being that way. I don't even feel like attacking you for your unkind words. If that's the way you feel, I feel sorry for you. By the way, I don't think you mentioned where you are from? Can you reveal it? Do you live in The Villages already? Definitely, not looking for your address.

Truly it is a rarity to meet someone in The Villages who is UNKIND. That is of course unless they are hiding behind a Keyboard. Face to Face everyone seems to be fine.

Check back in six months your outlook will probably change.

P.S. Very Nice First Post! Maybe Your Observations Are A Little Skewed? Peace Out!
Old 07-02-2019, 07:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,950 Times in 1,706 Posts

Nucky, I too come from a very populated city. Our residents here act like the ones I met in Manhattan and now I believe it has not so much to do with being in the NE as it does with over crowding. Too much density, too much activity, too much of everything.

When you overcrowd animals they turn on each other. It also happens with insects. I believe that it is post traumatic stress and inhuman living conditions in those tall apartment buildings with limited green space, no trees on the streets, no birds, no living things. They are unfit for humans even if they come with gold tipped soaking bathtubs etc. Living walking distance to the opera, and theaters is not going to make up for all the people all the time that you are tripping over, that you must compete against just to survive. I believe such living conditions cause permanent PTSD and these people cannot relax even in retirement.

At least I can say this is true for my north city. And the cranes are still out, they are constructing more and more high rises. More buildings, more density, more congestion and our politicians are mostly looking forwards to all the property tax they are going to collect. They are smacking their lips. It is so sad I believe it is slow suicide for the people of the city.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

I'm from the suburbs of New England, and I've been to Manhattan many times, and lived in Boston for several years. I have family in Hartford and in the burbs of New Hampshire. I've been to every one of the 48 contiguous states, and lived in southeastern Florida, and right outside Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

The rudest people I've ever personally encountered were southerners who complained about northerners being rude. They were even ruder than the Quebequois who refused to speak English even though I knew they could, and even though they knew I didn't know French. I ended up learning French. Joke's on them, I understood what they were saying. And it still wasn't as rude as southerners complaining about rude Northerners.

That whole "bless your heart" thing gets really tiring, folks.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Nucky, I too come from a very populated city. Our residents here act like the ones I met in Manhattan and now I believe it has not so much to do with being in the NE as it does with over crowding. Too much density, too much activity, too much of everything.

When you overcrowd animals they turn on each other. It also happens with insects. I believe that it is post traumatic stress and inhuman living conditions in those tall apartment buildings with limited green space, no trees on the streets, no birds, no living things. They are unfit for humans even if they come with gold tipped soaking bathtubs etc. Living walking distance to the opera, and theaters is not going to make up for all the people all the time that you are tripping over, that you must compete against just to survive. I believe such living conditions cause permanent PTSD and these people cannot relax even in retirement.

At least I can say this is true for my north city. And the cranes are still out, they are constructing more and more high rises. More buildings, more density, more congestion and our politicians are mostly looking forwards to all the property tax they are going to collect. They are smacking their lips. It is so sad I believe it is slow suicide for the people of the city.
Yupper. Seeing one of the worst things in the History of many of our lives on TV is one thing. Having the smoke from it and the bicycles from the people who didn't make it home from that day rusting away in bicycle racks months later may give someone an edge that takes time to subside if in fact it ever does. I thought people who went to therapy were weak dopey people. I don't think that way anymore.

We all have an Edge and that Humongous Day didn't help to chill us out! The Villages did. A Geographical Change that actually was a Cure. Very Grateful.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Smile Back Story

I worked for many years in the heart of Manhattan and understand that culture and was part of it. I understand the one's
that come from this "hype" society and it did take me a couple of years to adjust to a slow down, no reason to rush behavior. Hopefully messages like these and other's will alert others to their rushing and lack of consideration and the "no reason to act that way" and enjoy their senior years. Heck that is why we got up early each day, caught that commuter train, rushed to the office and repeated it at the end of the day. "STOP AND SMELL THE ROSES. YOU WORKED HARD TO EARN THAT LIFE"
Old 07-04-2019, 07:54 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Zoom, zoom, zoom
Old 07-04-2019, 08:27 AM

Well said.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,930 Times in 2,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
We have been in The Villages for more than 10 years and notice that one thing has not changed. There are a group of residents who cannot slow down and enjoy life. In the Markets they are the ones who race to get to the cashier, that shove by you, they are the ones that consider driving is a competition and will rush to beat you at a light, cut you off and would never allow you to get by them. When you go into a restaurant they are ones who's legs are bouncing like a paddle ball, or because of uncontrolled anxieties and will yell at the waiter/waitress if it takes more than 10 minutes for your food. There should be clubs to deal with these unfortunate hyper people and help them to learn to just "Chill" and when they find themselves rushing, experiencing high anxieties to say to themselves to stop, walk slow, show patience with their neighbors and enjoy the life they worked to so hard to have. The next time you are in a restaurant or show, etc. look around and see how many are bouncing their legs and can't just relax and have a softer life. Is that you??
The root cause of the problem, if it really is a problem, is the Villages. There are just so many fun things to do in the Villages that the days are just way too short to do half the stuff on the "to do" list.
Closed Thread

Tags
life, show, anxieties, bouncing, restaurant

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.