Why

Closed Thread
Old 06-29-2019, 08:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Smile Why

We have been in The Villages for more than 10 years and notice that one thing has not changed. There are a group of residents who cannot slow down and enjoy life. In the Markets they are the ones who race to get to the cashier, that shove by you, they are the ones that consider driving is a competition and will rush to beat you at a light, cut you off and would never allow you to get by them. When you go into a restaurant they are ones who's legs are bouncing like a paddle ball, or because of uncontrolled anxieties and will yell at the waiter/waitress if it takes more than 10 minutes for your food. There should be clubs to deal with these unfortunate hyper people and help them to learn to just "Chill" and when they find themselves rushing, experiencing high anxieties to say to themselves to stop, walk slow, show patience with their neighbors and enjoy the life they worked to so hard to have. The next time you are in a restaurant or show, etc. look around and see how many are bouncing their legs and can't just relax and have a softer life. Is that you??
Old 06-29-2019, 08:28 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

Probably most of them are the products of the environments in which they have spent most of their lives. In my experience people in some areas do not seem to be able or want to chill out and relax.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-29-2019, 09:22 AM
Gold member

They are in a hurry to die
Old 06-29-2019, 09:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

To slow "them" down, I just accidentally stick out my leg...and trip'em.

Old 06-29-2019, 10:24 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
We have been in The Villages for more than 10 years and notice that one thing has not changed. There are a group of residents who cannot slow down and enjoy life. In the Markets they are the ones who race to get to the cashier, that shove by you, they are the ones that consider driving is a competition and will rush to beat you at a light, cut you off and would never allow you to get by them. When you go into a restaurant they are ones who's legs are bouncing like a paddle ball, or because of uncontrolled anxieties and will yell at the waiter/waitress if it takes more than 10 minutes for your food. There should be clubs to deal with these unfortunate hyper people and help them to learn to just "Chill" and when they find themselves rushing, experiencing high anxieties to say to themselves to stop, walk slow, show patience with their neighbors and enjoy the life they worked to so hard to have. The next time you are in a restaurant or show, etc. look around and see how many are bouncing their legs and can't just relax and have a softer life. Is that you??
I see many of which you describe in and around the villages every day. I only think to myself how long will it be before they keel over. Totally sad they can't or won't slow down as if they're still working and have a schedule to keep.
Old 06-29-2019, 11:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

They are the Type A's. Nothing to do about them but avoid.
Old 06-29-2019, 12:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,950 Times in 1,706 Posts

ADHD maybe? Ritalin helps those.

I remember my first trip to Manhattan decades ago. It was Sunday and people rushed across the street to walk to the park then rushed back. The taxis rushed through the lights. When I got back it took me 2 weeks before I could relax again.

The next summer my family was at the beach and my 10 year old brother got so badly sun burned we needed to go to a hospital. We drove to Atlanta, which was the nearest big city. I dashed into Bloomingdale’s and there at the café on the Mezzanine I quickly asked a lady (wearing an amazingly hat) where the nearest hospital was. She pointed to the seat beside her and in slow beautiful Southern drawl, she said “Join me for tea and we can talk about it.”
Old 06-29-2019, 01:07 PM
Sage

I agree some of it is from previous environments. I was in Southern California prior to TV and remember the driving competitions on the freeway. It was a game to gain each car length in front of the next guy. At merges, you invited a merging car to enter your land BEHIND you not in front. If you did allow a car to merge in front of you, you’d better be prepared to see two or three others tailgating in before you could move again.If you were the merging car, you had to stick your front end into the lane and invite a car to hit you or let you in.

Once I got here, it took a few months to get accustomed to normal driving habits again. I’m sure some don’t ever adjust. Just let them go. I’m not in that much of a hurry and won’t let them rent space in my head.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

...because it's not possible that any of these people have jobs and are on their lunch break. Or have doctor's appointments and want to eat before they get there. Or have heard some horrible news and are waiting for a family member to show up and tell them about it. Or have been made late to something already, by people who don't appreciate that not everyone has the rest of their lives to sit and chill.

How about all those people with nothing better to do all day than to occupy space and waste the waiter's time with idle chitchat, have some consideration for people who might actually have something they need to DO that day, and want to enjoy a meal out on their way to that thing they want to do.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
She pointed to the seat beside her and in slow beautiful Southern drawl, she said “Join me for tea and we can talk about it.”

Nice!

How was the tea?
Old 06-29-2019, 03:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
...because it's not possible that any of these people have jobs and are on their lunch break. Or have doctor's appointments and want to eat before they get there. Or have heard some horrible news and are waiting for a family member to show up and tell them about it. Or have been made late to something already, by people who don't appreciate that not everyone has the rest of their lives to sit and chill.

How about all those people with nothing better to do all day than to occupy space and waste the waiter's time with idle chitchat, have some consideration for people who might actually have something they need to DO that day, and want to enjoy a meal out on their way to that thing they want to do.
Holy cow.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:12 PM

Seems like you already have them "diagnosed", i.e. cannot...enjoy life, uncontrolled anxieties, hyper.

I think we need to consider what is operating underneath. You are only observing behaviors that may reflect reactions to the person's current life situations, which most of us are not privy to.

I wonder what behaviors you exhibit when you are making your observations.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
Old 06-29-2019, 07:13 PM
Sage

I think sometimes we put pressure on ourselves, want to do too much in too little time. One of the things that I say that seems to be appreciated, whether by the lady answering the phone at Citizens, or the Seco rep, or the Apple tech advisor is: “Take your time.”

I must say though, the service near the lighthouse at Sumpter was very slow as compared to what we were used to. Husband and I were sitting outside and had a lovely conversation and enjoyed the view. It was an unexpectedly nice time.

Last edited by Velvet; 10-27-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:36 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I think sometimes we put pressure on ourselves, want to do too much in too little time. One of the things that I say that seems to be appreciated, whether by the lady answering the phone at Citizens, or the Seco rep, or the Apple tech advisor is: “Take your time.”

I must say though, the service near the lighthouse at Sumpter was very slow as compared to what we were used to. Husband and I were sitting outside and had a lovely conversation and enjoyed the view. It was an unexpectedly nice time. Some might think that seems so ordinary, but I married into mental illness and each day can be such a challenge, and over the years I have learned to grab each enjoyable moment for both of us.
Since when has there been pee in Lake Sumter?

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-29-2019, 09:44 PM
Sage

Oh no! Elementary mistake.... ‘sumpter’ refers to pack animal the Lake was definitely not that.
Closed Thread

Tags
life, show, anxieties, bouncing, restaurant

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.