Why

Why

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 06-29-2019, 03:17 PM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 12,785
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
...because it's not possible that any of these people have jobs and are on their lunch break. Or have doctor's appointments and want to eat before they get there. Or have heard some horrible news and are waiting for a family member to show up and tell them about it. Or have been made late to something already, by people who don't appreciate that not everyone has the rest of their lives to sit and chill.

How about all those people with nothing better to do all day than to occupy space and waste the waiter's time with idle chitchat, have some consideration for people who might actually have something they need to DO that day, and want to enjoy a meal out on their way to that thing they want to do.
Holy cow.
__________________
Happiness is when your life on the outside matches your life on the inside.
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 06-29-2019, 06:12 PM
roob1 roob1 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 80
Default

Seems like you already have them "diagnosed", i.e. cannot...enjoy life, uncontrolled anxieties, hyper.

I think we need to consider what is operating underneath. You are only observing behaviors that may reflect reactions to the person's current life situations, which most of us are not privy to.

I wonder what behaviors you exhibit when you are making your observations.....


Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
We have been in The Villages for more than 10 years and notice that one thing has not changed. There are a group of residents who cannot slow down and enjoy life. In the Markets they are the ones who race to get to the cashier, that shove by you, they are the ones that consider driving is a competition and will rush to beat you at a light, cut you off and would never allow you to get by them. When you go into a restaurant they are ones who's legs are bouncing like a paddle ball, or because of uncontrolled anxieties and will yell at the waiter/waitress if it takes more than 10 minutes for your food. There should be clubs to deal with these unfortunate hyper people and help them to learn to just "Chill" and when they find themselves rushing, experiencing high anxieties to say to themselves to stop, walk slow, show patience with their neighbors and enjoy the life they worked to so hard to have. The next time you are in a restaurant or show, etc. look around and see how many are bouncing their legs and can't just relax and have a softer life. Is that you??
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #13  
Old 06-29-2019, 07:13 PM
Velvet's Avatar
Velvet Velvet is offline
Veteran member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Mallory Square
Posts: 718
Default

I think sometimes we put pressure on ourselves, want to do too much in too little time. One of the things that I say that seems to be appreciated, whether by the lady answering the phone at Citizens, or the Seco rep, or the Apple tech advisor is: “Take your time.”

I must say though, the service near the lighthouse at Sumpter was very slow as compared to what we were used to. Husband and I were sitting outside and had a lovely conversation and enjoyed the view. It was an unexpectedly nice time. Some might think that seems so ordinary, but I married into mental illness and each day can be such a challenge, and over the years I have learned to grab each enjoyable moment for both of us.

Last edited by Velvet; 06-29-2019 at 07:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-29-2019, 09:36 PM
manaboutown's Avatar
manaboutown manaboutown is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NJ, NY, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NM, CA and ID, not necessarily in that order
Posts: 4,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I think sometimes we put pressure on ourselves, want to do too much in too little time. One of the things that I say that seems to be appreciated, whether by the lady answering the phone at Citizens, or the Seco rep, or the Apple tech advisor is: “Take your time.”

I must say though, the service near the lighthouse at Sumpter was very slow as compared to what we were used to. Husband and I were sitting outside and had a lovely conversation and enjoyed the view. It was an unexpectedly nice time. Some might think that seems so ordinary, but I married into mental illness and each day can be such a challenge, and over the years I have learned to grab each enjoyable moment for both of us.
Since when has there been pee in Lake Sumter?
__________________
"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." Plato

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-29-2019, 09:44 PM
Velvet's Avatar
Velvet Velvet is offline
Veteran member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Mallory Square
Posts: 718
Default

Oh no! Elementary mistake.... ‘sumpter’ refers to pack animal the Lake was definitely not that.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-30-2019, 02:55 AM
thelegges thelegges is offline
Veteran member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina /One Retired in Duval
Posts: 844
Default

Since this is under Medical and Health Discussion, I am guessing the observation is from a medical background, with the knowledge that each person observed is retired and living here.

Or could the OPs observation be those who are here for that multi day world win lifestyle, that in a few fleeting days think they need to make the decision of a lifetime.
Or those who have just a few days to get their new house in order to return to their current home.
Or the growing population that have moved here working remotely from home.
Possibly the many who are visiting and trying to capture every moment as quickly as possible.
As for it being a medical issue I would need to leave that up to their health care provider

Last edited by thelegges; 06-30-2019 at 05:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-30-2019, 06:20 AM
Jazuela Jazuela is offline
Gold member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Since this is under Medical and Health Discussion, I am guessing the observation is from a medical background, with the knowledge that each person observed is retired and living here.

Or could the OPs observation be those who are here for that multi day world win lifestyle, that in a few fleeting days think they need to make the decision of a lifetime.
Or those who have just a few days to get their new house in order to return to their current home.
Or the growing population that have moved here working remotely from home.
Possibly the many who are visiting and trying to capture every moment as quickly as possible.
As for it being a medical issue I would need to leave that up to their health care provider
I haven't really experienced any unusually slow service anywhere I've been in the Villages. Only at Red Sauce, but it was pretty crowded so we expected delays. We sat in for dinner on a Saturday evening. We waited MUCH longer than we felt we should have. From the time we were seated, til the time the server came to greet us was almost 10 minutes. Then another 10 minutes to bring our water glasses. And around 1/2 hour to get dinner. Took us around 1/2 hour to eat (four of us), and another 20 minutes to get the check once they saw we were finished.

The food was great though, so we endured the wait. I only wished we had known what it'd be like in advance so we could've asked for bread or salads or something right away. We came there hungry and my mom ended up with a migraine from having to wait so long to eat.

That was the worst experience I've had in waiting. Everything else has been completely reasonable and more or less expected.

But I do definitely see people who enjoy taking up a LOT of time at their tables, more than seems reasonable. During the actual dinner hour, guests should just be mindful of the fact that there are people waiting to occupy their table. They shouldn't ever feel rushed, however they also shouldn't be assuming that they can just sit there another hour after they're finished, during the dinner hour, while there are people waiting in line to be seated.
Reply With Quote
My opinion
  #18  
Old 06-30-2019, 07:26 AM
DAVES DAVES is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 98
Default My opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
We have been in The Villages for more than 10 years and notice that one thing has not changed. There are a group of residents who cannot slow down and enjoy life. In the Markets they are the ones who race to get to the cashier, that shove by you, they are the ones that consider driving is a competition and will rush to beat you at a light, cut you off and would never allow you to get by them. When you go into a restaurant they are ones who's legs are bouncing like a paddle ball, or because of uncontrolled anxieties and will yell at the waiter/waitress if it takes more than 10 minutes for your food. There should be clubs to deal with these unfortunate hyper people and help them to learn to just "Chill" and when they find themselves rushing, experiencing high anxieties to say to themselves to stop, walk slow, show patience with their neighbors and enjoy the life they worked to so hard to have.
The next time you are in a restaurant or show, etc. look around and see how many are bouncing their legs and can't just relax and have a softer life. Is that you??
First of all you cannot control other people all you can control is yourself.

As to other people seeming to be hostile in a rush etc. Have you wondered why you seem to notice so many of them that you have chosen to post this?

Like most of us, we regularly go to the grocery store. Are you the one who goes down the center of the narrow isle gossiping with a friend at your side? Or on your cell phone? I regularly laugh with the cashier when they ask, with a line of people, did you find everything.

"Bouncing their legs," likely indicates they need to go to the bathroom and choose not to disturb others by leaving their seats. As to type A-perhaps. Too often I find the people that arrive to the theater late and bother everyone to get to the remaining end seat after they sit down find another seat and decide to change yet again.

Reminder, no one is perfect. Rather than others, the question to ask is how can I be better.
Reply With Quote
Another perspective......
  #19  
Old 06-30-2019, 09:17 AM
Fishers2tall's Avatar
Fishers2tall Fishers2tall is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Noblesville Indiana
Posts: 16
Default Another perspective......

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
We have been in The Villages for more than 10 years and notice that one thing has not changed. There are a group of residents who cannot slow down and enjoy life. In the Markets they are the ones who race to get to the cashier, that shove by you, they are the ones that consider driving is a competition and will rush to beat you at a light, cut you off and would never allow you to get by them. When you go into a restaurant they are ones who's legs are bouncing like a paddle ball, or because of uncontrolled anxieties and will yell at the waiter/waitress if it takes more than 10 minutes for your food. There should be clubs to deal with these unfortunate hyper people and help them to learn to just "Chill" and when they find themselves rushing, experiencing high anxieties to say to themselves to stop, walk slow, show patience with their neighbors and enjoy the life they worked to so hard to have. The next time you are in a restaurant or show, etc. look around and see how many are bouncing their legs and can't just relax and have a softer life. Is that you??
Are there rude inconsiderate people out there who in the course of everyday life you will come into contact with? Sure there are and that will never go away. The hectic I want it now nature of our culture gets worse seemingly every year. However is it possible some of these same people are in a hurry because they are having trouble dealing with extremely painful life circumstances such as a life threatening illness either personally or to their spouse or children? Absolutely! Or maybe they just lost their job or they are getting a divorce they didn’t want. The list is endless. I would like to offer a solution to the aggravation these hyper people cause you when you come in contact with them in traffic, the grocery store, and in restaurants. A famous person once said “Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you.” Even though they have offended you by the way they drive or relate to people in public give them back kindness, courtesy, patience, and compassion. If you do that I think you will find that while those people might not change how they act their actions won’t bother you near as much and even more importantly you may meet someone who is in desperate need of some kindness due to what they are going through. Who knows someday you might have a life crisis that causes you to be a little frantic and you will need some extra kindness and compassion from those around you.
__________________
See you on the narrow road!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-30-2019, 09:41 AM
Jazuela Jazuela is offline
Gold member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,185
Default

It looks like most posters here are feeling the same way as I do when I read posts like the OP. That it is important to take a moment to consider what's happening on the other side of the issue, before aggressively reacting to your uninformed conclusions.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
life, show, anxieties, bouncing, restaurant

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 AM.