Why

Closed Thread
Old 06-30-2019, 02:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,587 Times in 566 Posts

Since this is under Medical and Health Discussion, I am guessing the observation is from a medical background, with the knowledge that each person observed is retired and living here.

Or could the OPs observation be those who are here for that multi day world win lifestyle, that in a few fleeting days think they need to make the decision of a lifetime.
Or those who have just a few days to get their new house in order to return to their current home.
Or the growing population that have moved here working remotely from home.
Possibly the many who are visiting and trying to capture every moment as quickly as possible.
As for it being a medical issue I would need to leave that up to their health care provider

Last edited by thelegges; 06-30-2019 at 05:59 AM.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,369 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Since this is under Medical and Health Discussion, I am guessing the observation is from a medical background, with the knowledge that each person observed is retired and living here.

Or could the OPs observation be those who are here for that multi day world win lifestyle, that in a few fleeting days think they need to make the decision of a lifetime.
Or those who have just a few days to get their new house in order to return to their current home.
Or the growing population that have moved here working remotely from home.
Possibly the many who are visiting and trying to capture every moment as quickly as possible.
As for it being a medical issue I would need to leave that up to their health care provider
I haven't really experienced any unusually slow service anywhere I've been in the Villages. Only at Red Sauce, but it was pretty crowded so we expected delays. We sat in for dinner on a Saturday evening. We waited MUCH longer than we felt we should have. From the time we were seated, til the time the server came to greet us was almost 10 minutes. Then another 10 minutes to bring our water glasses. And around 1/2 hour to get dinner. Took us around 1/2 hour to eat (four of us), and another 20 minutes to get the check once they saw we were finished.

The food was great though, so we endured the wait. I only wished we had known what it'd be like in advance so we could've asked for bread or salads or something right away. We came there hungry and my mom ended up with a migraine from having to wait so long to eat.

That was the worst experience I've had in waiting. Everything else has been completely reasonable and more or less expected.

But I do definitely see people who enjoy taking up a LOT of time at their tables, more than seems reasonable. During the actual dinner hour, guests should just be mindful of the fact that there are people waiting to occupy their table. They shouldn't ever feel rushed, however they also shouldn't be assuming that they can just sit there another hour after they're finished, during the dinner hour, while there are people waiting in line to be seated.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts
Default My opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
We have been in The Villages for more than 10 years and notice that one thing has not changed. There are a group of residents who cannot slow down and enjoy life. In the Markets they are the ones who race to get to the cashier, that shove by you, they are the ones that consider driving is a competition and will rush to beat you at a light, cut you off and would never allow you to get by them. When you go into a restaurant they are ones who's legs are bouncing like a paddle ball, or because of uncontrolled anxieties and will yell at the waiter/waitress if it takes more than 10 minutes for your food. There should be clubs to deal with these unfortunate hyper people and help them to learn to just "Chill" and when they find themselves rushing, experiencing high anxieties to say to themselves to stop, walk slow, show patience with their neighbors and enjoy the life they worked to so hard to have.
The next time you are in a restaurant or show, etc. look around and see how many are bouncing their legs and can't just relax and have a softer life. Is that you??
First of all you cannot control other people all you can control is yourself.

As to other people seeming to be hostile in a rush etc. Have you wondered why you seem to notice so many of them that you have chosen to post this?

Like most of us, we regularly go to the grocery store. Are you the one who goes down the center of the narrow isle gossiping with a friend at your side? Or on your cell phone? I regularly laugh with the cashier when they ask, with a line of people, did you find everything.

"Bouncing their legs," likely indicates they need to go to the bathroom and choose not to disturb others by leaving their seats. As to type A-perhaps. Too often I find the people that arrive to the theater late and bother everyone to get to the remaining end seat after they sit down find another seat and decide to change yet again.

Reminder, no one is perfect. Rather than others, the question to ask is how can I be better.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:17 AM
Default Another perspective......

Quote:
We have been in The Villages for more than 10 years and notice that one thing has not changed. There are a group of residents who cannot slow down and enjoy life. In the Markets they are the ones who race to get to the cashier, that shove by you, they are the ones that consider driving is a competition and will rush to beat you at a light, cut you off and would never allow you to get by them. When you go into a restaurant they are ones who's legs are bouncing like a paddle ball, or because of uncontrolled anxieties and will yell at the waiter/waitress if it takes more than 10 minutes for your food. There should be clubs to deal with these unfortunate hyper people and help them to learn to just "Chill" and when they find themselves rushing, experiencing high anxieties to say to themselves to stop, walk slow, show patience with their neighbors and enjoy the life they worked to so hard to have. The next time you are in a restaurant or show, etc. look around and see how many are bouncing their legs and can't just relax and have a softer life. Is that you??
Are there rude inconsiderate people out there who in the course of everyday life you will come into contact with? Sure there are and that will never go away. The hectic I want it now nature of our culture gets worse seemingly every year. However is it possible some of these same people are in a hurry because they are having trouble dealing with extremely painful life circumstances such as a life threatening illness either personally or to their spouse or children? Absolutely! Or maybe they just lost their job or they are getting a divorce they didn’t want. The list is endless. I would like to offer a solution to the aggravation these hyper people cause you when you come in contact with them in traffic, the grocery store, and in restaurants. A famous person once said “Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you.” Even though they have offended you by the way they drive or relate to people in public give them back kindness, courtesy, patience, and compassion. If you do that I think you will find that while those people might not change how they act their actions won’t bother you near as much and even more importantly you may meet someone who is in desperate need of some kindness due to what they are going through. Who knows someday you might have a life crisis that causes you to be a little frantic and you will need some extra kindness and compassion from those around you.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,369 Times in 3,050 Posts

It looks like most posters here are feeling the same way as I do when I read posts like the OP. That it is important to take a moment to consider what's happening on the other side of the issue, before aggressively reacting to your uninformed conclusions.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:59 AM

Old 06-30-2019, 10:01 AM

Last edited by Nonni252; 09-25-2019 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,705 Posts

In the past, polite society segregated these kinds of behavior. Today, we are more understanding. In the north at some private clubs one needs to have several club members’ references to join. They usually vouch for the new person’s behavior.
The medically ill cannot help themselves, they don’t chose to be ill just as those with physical illness - and they deserve compassion.
And some people have a lot of responsibilities. I remember teaching during the day, studying at night for a graduate degree, at the same time looking after my newborn and keeping house for a husband who worked very long hours. Yes, I was always in a hurry those days.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
We have been in The Villages for more than 10 years and notice that one thing has not changed. There are a group of residents who cannot slow down and enjoy life. In the Markets they are the ones who race to get to the cashier, that shove by you, they are the ones that consider driving is a competition and will rush to beat you at a light, cut you off and would never allow you to get by them. When you go into a restaurant they are ones who's legs are bouncing like a paddle ball, or because of uncontrolled anxieties and will yell at the waiter/waitress if it takes more than 10 minutes for your food. There should be clubs to deal with these unfortunate hyper people and help them to learn to just "Chill" and when they find themselves rushing, experiencing high anxieties to say to themselves to stop, walk slow, show patience with their neighbors and enjoy the life they worked to so hard to have. The next time you are in a restaurant or show, etc. look around and see how many are bouncing their legs and can't just relax and have a softer life. Is that you??
Mental disorders, run into that a lot down here.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:18 AM

Ambrose O'Lippe used to be like that!
Old 07-01-2019, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
...because it's not possible that any of these people have jobs and are on their lunch break. Or have doctor's appointments and want to eat before they get there. Or have heard some horrible news and are waiting for a family member to show up and tell them about it. Or have been made late to something already, by people who don't appreciate that not everyone has the rest of their lives to sit and chill.

How about all those people with nothing better to do all day than to occupy space and waste the waiter's time with idle chitchat, have some consideration for people who might actually have something they need to DO that day, and want to enjoy a meal out on their way to that thing they want to do.
I was like you when I was working and am so glad retirement has given me the time to slow down and enjoy life and not get upset over every little thing. I had spent all my time under pressure, rushing and being upset. What a waste of time. So much better now.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Smile Interesting

It is interesting how many have responded to the observation with reasons to "enable" this behavior.That adds to the question as to why some feel the need to find reasons it is excuseable to cut your neighbor off, push and shove in lines, eat fast, insult the waiting staff if they take a few extra minutes to bring you your order, and many so ons. Kindness and consideration pays off.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:34 AM

The over-crowding, due to uncontrolled population growth, only serves to aggravate the situation.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:28 AM

I experience this all the time when takiing a leisurely ride in my golf cart enjoying the beautiful scenery doing 20 mph when another gold cart is riding my tail and then passes me moving beyond the speed limit. We are retired what is the hurry? What would help is to reinforce the golf cart speed limit.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:32 AM

There are also those on the opposite end of the spectrum. They have nothing better to do than drive 5-10 mph under the limit and slow everyone else up. They wait and wait before making a turn when there is no traffic. They are the ones claiming they are just 'being safe.'
Closed Thread

Tags
life, show, anxieties, bouncing, restaurant

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.