Why

Closed Thread
Old 07-01-2019, 07:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzepecki View Post
I was like you when I was working and am so glad retirement has given me the time to slow down and enjoy life and not get upset over every little thing. I had spent all my time under pressure, rushing and being upset. What a waste of time. So much better now.
I don't get upset by every little thing. I was expressing the other side of the argument that "I'M retired, therefore YOU should stop being in such a rush."

I am rarely in a rush because I start out early for everything to make sure I'm never late. Traffic happens though, and emergencies crop up. Life happens. Even if you start out early, sometimes - you end up late anyway.

Do you get upset when you have a doctor's appointment at 2pm, and since you're retired and not in a rush or under pressure, you waltz in around 2:40 and the doctor says you missed your appointment, he's booked for the rest of the day, and you'll be charged the $40 for a no-call-no-show and it'll be another 2 weeks before he can see you again?

Or - do you make sure to show up on time, and maybe even get annoyed if you give yourself plenty of time to get there promptly but someone ahead of you on the road is sight-seeing at 12MPH?

Most of the time, things are great, even for people who work. But sometimes, something outside our control causes us to be in a hurry. Perhaps you have forgotten about that. It doesn't mean we live stressful lives. It just means that during this short window of time every day, we need to be prompt.

It's called being considerate to others. If that's not a priority to you, awesome. Maybe I'll give up being considerate to others when I get old. I hope I don't though.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1701 View Post
There are also those on the opposite end of the spectrum. They have nothing better to do than drive 5-10 mph under the limit and slow everyone else up. They wait and wait before making a turn when there is no traffic. They are the ones claiming they are just 'being safe.'
Some of us will get old, not against the law driving under the speed limit only driving over it. Only on interstate freeways where there’s minimum speed limit. Nothing more obnoxious than some JO driving 30 mph over the speed limit weaving in and out of traffic like he’s nascar king.

IMO there should be hidden automatically ticketing cameras 📸. The day will come when insurance companies will be monitoring you driving habits and adjusting you rates, it already started with first the discount for are driving what they consider safely, then what do you think next?
Old 07-01-2019, 08:30 AM

Well said !!
Old 07-01-2019, 08:55 AM

Well, we all know the world revolves around them, don't we???
Old 07-01-2019, 10:40 AM

As I read this post I noticed that both my legs were bouncing. I've done that my entire life but I never knew that I was actually irritating anyone. I walk fast too, I walk with a purpose and I sometimes wonder to myself how those that stroll through life ever arrive anywhere. I also notice the older gentlemen at that gym who sit on all the weight machines and then do absolutely nothing but converse with each other. It annoys me sometimes when I'm waiting to use the machines myself but then I think that perhaps they live alone and this is their only socialization of the day and I just go hop on the treadmill instead. I enjoy doing things and accomplishing what I set out to do. Type A...maybe but who cares? I don't think any of my behavior amounts to being rude though.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:55 AM
Cool A view from the other side

Hi there Villagers! I'd like to give a little perspective from the other side of The Villages - those of us who still work and our time is not endless. We are not just a retirement community, we are a wonderful community of people who are 55 or older.

I travel out of the state most weeks for work and the only time I have to run errands is often on the weekends. So, I asked one of my great neighbors one Saturday when I ran into her in Bed, Bath & Beyond why she was shopping on a Saturday when she could go any day. Her response was that she didn't realize it was even Saturday. Ah, the life of a retired person, who I hope to be some day!!

The other thing I fail to understand, or have not experienced in other many places that I've lived (not an over 55 community) is why people travel as couples in the grocery store. Really, it takes 2 people to buy groceries? Colony Publix is a zoo during the day. I've learned over the 3 years we've lived here that the best time to go shop anywhere, with less traffic, is 7:00 pm. All the retired Villagers are either eating dinner, drinking, or home. I look forward to slowing down and relaxing when retired. Until then, I will continue to look hurried, because I am. Oh, and thank you for NOT honking, which seems to be a common thing here.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:16 PM
Send a message via AIM to fitnessrs@aol.com

Couldn't agree more with Jazeula. As much as people may not like those that have somewhere to go or something to do, others don't appreciate those that are moving so slow that you can't get anywhere in a reasonable time.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,012 Times in 1,739 Posts

My observation in TV, you can’t walk to places you need to go, and there is no regular public transportation as there is in most cities. So if you are older, or ill, or on medication, or etc etc. no amount of some one rushing you is going to help. It’s like trying to get a toddler to run. They can’t, they are not going to. It is easier for the able bodied to make the adjustments.

I was prepared for this in TV, hubby was not. He is used to getting to places fast and on time. He went on Morse once when we got there, and on a few side streets and then never again. He always took the main arteries around TV until... one day he wanted to go to a Walmart. I suggested the north one I was used to. He dashed here and there quickly and we ended up at the one in Leesburg, parked next to the police cars in the Walmart parking lot. Well, we finished shopping but after that hubby was quite content with taking Village roads for the rest of our travels.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

My favorite, they pass 5 cars and we all arrive at the light together.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:19 PM

I agree 100&
Old 07-01-2019, 05:21 PM

Slow down why the rush ?
Old 07-02-2019, 06:42 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

Zoom, zoom, zoom!
Old 07-02-2019, 06:58 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

For myself, this topic is "Que Sera Sera".

I desire and try not to allow others to affect me. Of course we all encounter speedy drivers, inconsiderate folks, people in a rush et al. I have been retired for quite a few years now and feel fortunate to have loads of time on my hands and living in such a great place. If a driver speeds past (not 'impacting' me in any way...) perhaps they're very late or an emergency or such. Could provide numerous other situations, and I try not to have other's actions get to me. The old adage "Life is too short".

I used to be a Type A, with the jitterly legs and impatience. Perhaps some people simply can't shake it. Perhaps others have a valid reason for hyperness. So be it.

Que Sera Sera.

I'd prefer to be

than
Old 07-02-2019, 07:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
For myself, this topic is "Que Sera Sera".

I desire and try not to allow others to affect me. Of course we all encounter speedy drivers, inconsiderate folks, people in a rush et al. I have been retired for quite a few years now and feel fortunate to have loads of time on my hands and living in such a great place. If a driver speeds past (not 'impacting' me in any way...) perhaps they're very late or an emergency or such. Could provide numerous other situations, and I try not to have other's actions get to me. The old adage "Life is too short".

I used to be a Type A, with the jitterly legs and impatience. Perhaps some people simply can't shake it. Perhaps others have a valid reason for hyperness. So be it.

Que Sera Sera.

I'd prefer to be

than
Exactly. As long as the other person isn't causing problems on your end of the observation, it really shouldn't get your knickers in a twist. It makes retired people seem a little more stressed out than they claim to be, when they get agitated by noticing that someone else is in a rush.

For those who are making the big deal about people who they observe to be hurrying, or trying to be "on time" for something, and say "I'm retired, therefore we should all chill out"..

Let me know next time you have an appointment you are planning on taking the golf cart to. I'll get in my golf cart and show up on the golf cart path right before you do, and enjoy a leisurely 4mph tour of the terrain. You'll definitely be late to your appointment but hey - you're retired, your MRI can wait. Or your dentures. Or your lawyer. Or the veterinarian's office to pick up your dog from surgery right before they close. Or the post office so you can mail that bill that has to be post-marked by today or they'll cut off a utility in your Minnesota winter home. All those people who are expecting you to show up on time, can just wait because hey *I* am retired so YOU should just chill out.

Right?
Old 07-02-2019, 07:56 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool Difficult Person's

One of the most difficult person to have working for you is a work alcoholic as the work is their whole life and they have no "outside
activities" or few. They usually don't know how to slow down and have other interests and enjoy life. I kind of look at the people I see rushing as like work alcoholic's as they don' know how to sit back and enjoy themselves. Of course there are exceptions to every rule but we see a lot of "rusher's here" and that usually disregards concern for the person they are cutting off, pushing, not helping, etc. The next time you are rushing in the Market, just tell yourself to "slow down" and enjoy the wondering and seeing all there is available. If you are rushing in the car just ask yourself why? Is it a journey or a haste to get to the end and why? As most say "life is a journey and not a sprint".
Closed Thread

Tags
life, show, anxieties, bouncing, restaurant

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.