Why are Canadian drugs cheaper

Closed Thread
Old 10-12-2014, 12:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Why are Canadian drugs cheaper

when the drugs are made here in the good ole USA?
Old 10-12-2014, 01:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,748 Times in 1,385 Posts

I don't know the answer in fact, however, I would bet it has to do with the rate of pillage, rape and plunder of a patient is allowed.

We know that here in the USA pharmaceuticals companies welfare come way way WAY before the patient.

Good example: $700 per month cancer med comes through Canad for $119 shipped to the door for a generic. The generic and the name brand are both made here in the USA....the US patents allow the maker to keep generics off the market for a too long period of time. And I for one do not accept the notion they are recovering their investment....not when the companies continue to apply for extensions and get them. And the companies earnings are continuing to SPIRAL upward.

The USA has a funny way of threating their people that is just not done in other countries. Yup it sure does have to do with politics/special interest and getting re-elected.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:40 PM

The Canadian government puts a cap, or ceiling, on the amount that drug companies can charge pharmacies and other distributors of drugs. This reduces the wholesale cost of medication for most organizations throughout Canada by about five percent. The prices are determined by Canada’s Patented Medicine Prices Review Board. Since drugstores pay less for many medications, they can sell them for less.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:46 PM
Gold member

Too much profit, unearned income, and underearned income in American medical system. We really have a feeding frenzy happening but no seems to care as our children and grandchildren are going to be stuck picking up tab. It really is disgraceful.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Coming straight from a Canadian

Just happened to talk to another Canadian and they said the same thing.
Such a shame that Drug companies can still make a profit sending Canadians the medication, why not take care of Americans first....How can Americans fight the GIANTS!....I for one, will send another letter to Merck and I'm sure it will find the circular file as all the ones b4 and one to Congress also!...There must be a way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie_marie View Post
The Canadian government puts a cap, or ceiling, on the amount that drug companies can charge pharmacies and other distributors of drugs. This reduces the wholesale cost of medication for most organizations throughout Canada by about five percent. The prices are determined by Canada’s Patented Medicine Prices Review Board. Since drugstores pay less for many medications, they can sell them for less.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:57 PM
Gold member

It wasn't long ago that seniors were cautioned about taking buses to Canada to have their prescriptions filled. All kinds of warnings and scares about lack of FDA approval and no idea where drugs came from. Here it is several years later and the last migraine medicine my wife received from our Silver Script Prescription D Plan of her a 90 day supply came from Dr. Reddy's in India. Amazing now that 80% is paid by Plan that it matters not at all where the drugs come from or what level of government inspection was or wasn't utilized.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:06 PM
Platinum member

Meds are cheaper in Mexico too....and better beaches.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 10-12-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I don't know the answer in fact, however, I would bet it has to do with the rate of pillage, rape and plunder of a patient is allowed.

We know that here in the USA pharmaceuticals companies welfare come way way WAY before the patient.

Good example: $700 per month cancer med comes through Canad for $119 shipped to the door for a generic. The generic and the name brand are both made here in the USA....the US patents allow the maker to keep generics off the market for a too long period of time. And I for one do not accept the notion they are recovering their investment....not when the companies continue to apply for extensions and get them. And the companies earnings are continuing to SPIRAL upward.
Don't get me started on cancer drugs. Oncology practices make roughly 40% to 80% dispensing drugs. Here's some prices that will show the difference in prices here in the good ole USA

Temodar/Xeloda - $5451.80 at Publix of which I paid $1126.77, $2797.48 at CVS/Caremark

Afinitor - $9331.23 at CVS/Caremark; Sandosatin LAR (injectable) $8070.00 at oncology practice, $4059.19 delivered to practice from CVS/Caremark. Thank GOD we don't pay those prices but they are charged to the insurance company! All those drugs are only a 28 day supply. I don't know what they would cost in Canada, but I have to find out.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:38 PM

Maybe in Canada there are fewer lawyers fishing for clients on TV to sue drug companies.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:46 PM
Veteran member

don't you know.................everything is better up north!!!!
Old 10-12-2014, 06:49 PM

After paying the full price for Plavix here (US) a nurse recommended bigmountiandrugs.com and was amazed at the difference $40 for a 200 day supply. Good luck.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:45 PM

Because our politicians (both parties) are bought and paid for by the big drug and insurance companies!
Old 10-12-2014, 08:59 PM

Think of all the advertising for drugs you see on your local TV area and then multiply this across all TV markets in the country. Guess who gets that cost passed on to them.

What I don't understand is why the insurance lobby (who must be as powerful as the drug lobby) isn't fighting this outrageous pricing by the drug companies. Educate me, someone!
Old 10-12-2014, 11:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMIJFI View Post
Think of all the advertising for drugs you see on your local TV area and then multiply this across all TV markets in the country. Guess who gets that cost passed on to them.

What I don't understand is why the insurance lobby (who must be as powerful as the drug lobby) isn't fighting this outrageous pricing by the drug companies. Educate me, someone!
Insurance companies have made a little dent in cost via a tricky maneuver a few years ago. At that time there were no non-sedating antihistamines available OTC as Claritin, Zyrtec, and Allegra were Rx only.
CLARITIN TO SELL OVER THE COUNTER - NYTimes.com
Wellpoint, a huge California insurer petitioned the FDA to make Claritin OTC which they did in 2002 over the objections of the manufacturer. Of course the insurance companies don't cover OTC meds and this saved them big $$ while transferring the whole OTC cost to the consumer. Once generics became available a year later then the price plummeted. There is nothing an insurance company can do to control a pharmaceutical price. They can make it non-formulary or tier 3 but then there needs to be a very similar drug at a lower cost for the preferred list. There are huge profits with a blockbuster drug and to some extend that potential windfall is what encourages the corporations to invest in research and development. Profit to the stockholders is the goal (and of course the CEO).

An alternative would be if the US Government would invest in the research directly or via universities and the public hold the rights to any discoveries it is possible but by no means certain that costs would be lower.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:05 AM
Platinum member

Before you get out your flamethrowers, let me say that I believe in the free enterprise system, however, in this country corporate responsibility has been replaced with corporate greed, and thus our free enterprise system has been perverted. Oil companies, drug companies, the large investment banks, and the unchecked greed of corporate leadership care about only one thing, and it's not you. They will happily rob and poison you and your children, and especially your grandchildren for today's profits. I don't know the solution because Congress, state governments, and the major political parties are bought and paid for by corporations thanks to the Supreme Court's ruling in Citizens United. You may think this is not what this thread is about, but it is. I'd be interested in hearing your suggestions!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.