Why are the elderly so angry

Closed Thread
Old 01-04-2020, 05:29 AM
Gold member
Default Why are the elderly so angry

Very good "Anger and the Elderly" article...It ain't just about Trump Make sure you get enough Folic Acid...And especially women who are pregnant.

The Angry Grandma - LewRockwell
Old 01-04-2020, 08:18 AM

That article is frightening.

Particularly...

"Forget that Dr. McCully had found the narrowing of arteries in carotid (neck) arteries that facilitate delivery of oxygen to the brain are narrowed (called carotid artery stenosis) due to elevated homocysteine. The higher the blood serum levels of homocysteine the greater the risk for narrowing of carotid (neck) arteries. Elevated homocysteine is a result of a deficiency of vitamins B6, B12, B9 (folate or folic acid) and betaine."

And, it's not just elevated homocysteine.

Low blood ox Low blood ox at DuckDuckGo has a direct effect on how our brain functions.

Even if you have never smoked, environmental factors, second-hand smoke and industrial pollutants affects your quality of life.

Last edited by jacksonbrown; 01-04-2020 at 08:48 AM. Reason: corrections
Old 01-04-2020, 04:51 PM
Default Not just anger related

Very interesting article. It bears reading and attention by those who read it. My husband recently suffered a stroke. A non-smoker, maybe a cocktail (1) before dinner, very low cholesterol levels and controlled BP. No other medical problems. Was taken to the Comprehensive Stroke Center at Ocala Regional Hospital and treated by the physician who started the center. An exceptional neuro interventionalist. It was determined that his homocystine level was very high and B12 level exremely low. And this is believed to be the cause of the stroke. Just as this article says, due to clumping of the cells. He is recovering presently but has to take Folic acid and Bis sublingual daily. I am an RN and had never heard of this prior to his experience. Everyone needs to read this article
Old 01-04-2020, 07:10 PM

So who said that "all the elderly are angry"? I seem to be missing something here.
Old 01-04-2020, 11:00 PM
Gold member

Inexes@aol.com - I am SO SORRY to hear about your husband. Low stroke risk factors and then this happens...I am so sorry. We should all probably add more beef liver and eggs to our diet!
Old 01-04-2020, 11:18 PM
Gold member

Don't be frightened by this article. If you stick to a proper human diet of meat(especially beef, shrimp, lobster, tuna, salmon, sardines), eggs, aged cheese, no-salt butter, cream, tree nuts, green leaf veggies then supplements usually won't be necessary. Stay away from carbohydrates like sugar, fruit, bread, pasta, potatoes, and rice. if you want to sweeten something, use the tiny Splenda tablets you can get from Amazon. The age-old con "an apple a day keeps the Doctor away" is still with us...it should be "an apple a day keeps Doctors (aka, AMA Stooges) in vacation homes and yachts".

I only supplement vitamin C and D along with Magnesium that helps speed up the body healing process as we age. D also helps with calcium uptake.

Low blood oxygen is usually caused by obesity and couch-potato-itis. Stay away from carbohydrates and get Aerobic activity...Increasing the heart rate exercises...combined with deep breathing exercises multiple time a day will solve this along with any sleep problems as well - especially as we age. A rowing machine and even a sauna are excellent. "Walking" won't bring your heart rate up enough.

Last edited by MorTech; 01-04-2020 at 11:34 PM.
Old 01-04-2020, 11:20 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Adventures View Post
So who said that "all the elderly are angry"? I seem to be missing something here.
Yes, you are..."All".
Old 01-05-2020, 07:50 AM
Send a message via AIM to HelenLCSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorTech View Post
Very good "Anger and the Elderly" article...It ain't just about Trump Make sure you get enough Folic Acid...And especially women who are pregnant.

The Angry Grandma - LewRockwell
HaHa —pregnancy is not a big thing in The Villages
Old 01-05-2020, 11:16 AM
Sage

I saw a neurologist for various issues. After some blood tests I received a letter advising that my homocysteine level was in the high/high normal range. It stated that "Homocysteine is a metabolite; an amino acid-like chemical which is felt to be quite toxic to the brain. Elevated levels place you at an increased risk for stroke and possibly Alzheimer's disease."

Fortunately, it can be fairly easy to correct by taking B vitamins and folic acid. They advised a sublingual melt or liquid B-complex each morning (OTC).
Old 01-05-2020, 12:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Too many people read these reports, and start swallowing hanfulls of Vits. etc, without any diagnosis of a problem
To many vits. can be just as bad as none at all.
If you have a problem, get it diagnosed, then medicate under advice.
Self medication is dangerous.
Old 01-05-2020, 03:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

Aha, now if people grumble at something I post I can just say, “You haven’t taken your folic acid pill yet today? Have you.”
Old 01-05-2020, 04:19 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

In the mid 1960s when I was young and just out of college I took a government job in D.C. where I kept running into an older man who had come back to work for the government after his business of many years failed. He was always cheerful, and not artificially so. He said hello with a big smile on his face every time I ran into him. After some time I asked him why he was inevitably so cheerful. What he told me was that when he was young he noticed there were two kinds of older folks, grouches and cheerful ones, and that he had decided to age into a cheerful one. IMHO he was correct. Over the years I have noticed my friends and acquaintances however they were tilted, from grouchy to happy, seem to have migrated further along the direction they initially took. Not many are in the middle.

My colleague was following the admonishment of Abraham Lincoln. “Folks are usually about as happy as they make their minds up to be.”

I have always tried to look at the bright side of things, no matter what I or my loved ones were facing, without ignoring the dark side. Through the bleak years from 2008 to 2016 it was barely possible to hang on to a positive outlook but since then I have felt as grateful and happy as I have ever felt in my life.

Our attitudes can change our brain chemistry and our body's state of health. Stress kills. Oncologists try to keep cancer patients as positive as possible. Of course if one does not eat well, exercise and so on over time one's state of health will inevitably pay the price.

All that being said an aging body and mind over time may require nutritional supplementation and possibly medication to function well, all under a doctor's supervision, of course.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 01-05-2020 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:01 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenLCSW View Post
HaHa —pregnancy is not a big thing in The Villages
Yeah, I was kinda trolling with that one But I do assume most Villagers have grandchildren.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:05 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
I saw a neurologist for various issues. After some blood tests I received a letter advising that my homocysteine level was in the high/high normal range. It stated that "Homocysteine is a metabolite; an amino acid-like chemical which is felt to be quite toxic to the brain. Elevated levels place you at an increased risk for stroke and possibly Alzheimer's disease."

Fortunately, it can be fairly easy to correct by taking B vitamins and folic acid. They advised a sublingual melt or liquid B-complex each morning (OTC).
Did you find yourself to be easily angered before your Folic Acid treatment?
Old 01-06-2020, 12:13 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Too many people read these reports, and start swallowing hanfulls of Vits. etc, without any diagnosis of a problem
To many vits. can be just as bad as none at all.
If you have a problem, get it diagnosed, then medicate under advice.
Self medication is dangerous.
Agreed! But "Doctor" prescribed drugs can have nasty side effects, as well. I personally would not take any multivitamin but I do supplement C, D, and Magnesium because they do have beneficial healing properties as we age.
Closed Thread

Tags
elderly, acid, folic, make, trump

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.