Closed Thread
Old 01-06-2020, 12:19 AM
Gold member

“Folks are usually about as happy as they make their minds up to be.”

That quote should be written on the walls at Coleman prison
Old 01-06-2020, 12:37 AM
Gold member

"Our attitudes can change our brain chemistry and our body's state of health."

Yes! Just changing your mind about anything (especially studying Physics ) can rewire your brain...But Neuroplasticity slows as we age. Eat more beef, liver, eggs, and shrimp and less bread, potatoes, pizza, pasta, and fruit...And for "goodness sake", stay away from Christmas cookies

Last edited by MorTech; 01-06-2020 at 12:42 AM.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:46 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Aha, now if people grumble at something I post I can just say, “You haven’t taken your folic acid pill yet today? Have you.”
Yes! Please Do! That just might help them!

...And when someone screams at you from their golf cart, instead of yelling back "Take a Chill Pill" or "Kill Yourself" you might try "Take a Folic Acid Pill".
Old 01-06-2020, 08:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorTech View Post
Did you find yourself to be easily angered before your Folic Acid treatment?
No. No anger issues at all, either before or after. Have taken folic acid for 25+ years. The new medication is Vit B complex. Both were prescribed by doctors for separate conditions.

Last edited by Carla B; 01-06-2020 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Smile What great advice

This is really timely. I had about 4 episode's of minor TIA's and was seen by a series of Dr.'s and almost all but 2 said it was because of a "clot". A wonderful Neurologist who was doing some consulting work at the Village Hospital from the Cleveland Clinic, which is one of the very top Clinic's in the world on hearts talked to me as I was at the end of my teists and there were loads of them. She said I did not have a clot but rather my episodes were the result of age and very low levels of Vitamin B12. Of course I ran to the internet to see what the heck this B12 was all about. It totally confirmed the episodes I had experienced mapped right along with expected results if you were very low on B12. One of the advantages of having a TOTV's is being able to share for others our experiences. Regarding the Village Hospital. I spent 5 days in the hospital 3 one and 2 the other and went through the ER by ambulance so I had the advantage of seeing it in both the ER and Regular Floors. It demonstrated the Nurses, and Aides were well qualified and it was excellent care. BUT the tools to do their job's are sadly lacking. Their computers are lousy along with the software, some of the "hand medical" equipment failed on a regular basis, things like pillows, etc are scarce and hard to find and it generally failed from a basic "management" standpoint. You have to give the staff credit as it is clear they take great pride in their work and have to overcome some hurdles to provide the fine support for their patients. Rating wise I would give them a 5 for support and care and 1 for management.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Don't be frightened by this article. If you stick to a proper human diet of meat(especially beef, shrimp, lobster, tuna, salmon, sardines), eggs, aged cheese, no-salt butter, cream, tree nuts, green leaf veggies then supplements usually won't be necessary. Stay away from carbohydrates like sugar, fruit, bread, pasta, potatoes, and rice. if you want to sweeten something, use the tiny Splenda tablets you can get from Amazon. The age-old con "an apple a day keeps the Doctor away" is still with us...it should be "an apple a day keeps Doctors (aka, AMA Stooges) in vacation homes and yachts".

I only supplement vitamin C and D along with Magnesium that helps speed up the body healing process as we age. D also helps with calcium uptake.

Low blood oxygen is usually caused by obesity and couch-potato-itis. Stay away from carbohydrates and get Aerobic activity...Increasing the heart rate exercises...combined with deep breathing exercises multiple time a day will solve this along with any sleep problems as well - especially as we age. A rowing machine and even a sauna are excellent. "Walking" won't bring your heart rate up enough.
DO BE ALARMED BY THIS STORY..... MY husband did all of the above. It was explained to me that as people age their bodies do not absorb the nutrients from the food and in many instances, supplements are necessary. As the saying goes, “ please don’t confuse your google search with my medical degree”
Old 01-06-2020, 10:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inexes@aol.com View Post
DO BE ALARMED BY THIS STORY..... MY husband did all of the above. It was explained to me that as people age their bodies do not absorb the nutrients from the food and in many instances, supplements are necessary. As the saying goes, “ please don’t confuse your google search with my medical degree”
Thank you for saving me the trouble of pointing that out. In return, I'll spare everyone my opinion of this thread
Old 01-06-2020, 11:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

Quote:
Agreed! But "Doctor" prescribed drugs can have nasty side effects, as well. I personally would not take any multivitamin but I do supplement C, D, and Magnesium because they do have beneficial healing properties as we age.
But how do you know you have a deficiency in those supplements without tests?
C is fine, the body soon lets you know if you are taking too much of that!
But the body retains what it cannot absorb of most other supplements, and that is when they become a problem, and not a benefit.
Overloads of some attack vital organs like kidneys, liver etc.
A balanced diet should take care of most peoples needs regarding vitamin intake.
I cannot understand why people need to supplement, if they have not had a relevant test to find out they have a need.
JMO.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Because they are running out of time
Old 01-06-2020, 04:36 PM
Gold member

Hence the qualifier "Usually". If proper dietary and lifestyle adjustments are not correcting any deficiencies, then supplementing is critical. I would hope everyone here is having annual blood work done and has a competent, reasoning, and ethical Doctor. My own blood work reveals no deficiencies but I have determined that C, D, Mg supplements are beneficial as we age. After this thread, I am going to start eating beef liver again.

Good luck to you all.

Last edited by MorTech; 01-06-2020 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:05 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,611 Times in 1,760 Posts

A very dear long time friend of mine suddenly passed away at age 67 a little over two years ago while taking an afternoon nap. It was quite a shock as she was very active and apparently physically and mentally healthy. An autopsy was conducted to determine the cause of death. She had suffered no heart attack or stroke; it was quite mysterious. Many samples were taken and sent away for laboratory analysis. It turned out she had so much potassium in her blood it had stopped her heart. She was keen on supplements and thought she had enough medical knowledge to self prescribe as she had been a veterinarian's assistant at one time. That was a deadly misjudgment.

I knew that potassium has been used in lethal injections to stop a subject's heart but I was shocked that potassium taken orally as a supplement could stop a heart. My physician confirmed this fact to me. Medicowesome: Why does heart stop in diastole when plasma potassium level rises?

As I lived in Los Alamos, NM at the time I knew or knew of some of the women taking significant amounts of L-tryptophan who suffered the repercussions enumerated in the following links. My former wife had been involved with them and was pushing me to take numerous supplements which I refused to do. The lead woman was a nurse. As a pharmaceutical grade was apparently not approved or unavailable in the USA, she was buying it in large tins from Japan of a purity level used for administration to animals, but not humans. The women were manually loading it into capsules to be taken orally. The results were disastrous. These self prescribing women all thought they knew more than their physicians about supplements.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/b54...76d4f0b274.pdf

THE DOCTOR'''S WORLD; How Medical Detectives Identified The Culprit Behind a Rare Disorder - The New York Times

Evidence Links Japanese Firm to Epidemic in 1989 : Research: A potentially fatal blood and muscle ailment has been tied to impurities in the manufacturer'''s supply of the dietary supplement L-tryptophan. - Los Angeles Times

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 01-06-2020 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:36 AM
Gold member

Consumption of Polyunsaturated fats probably have a greater negative effect on physical and mental well-being than carbohydrates. Dr. Micheal Eades has an excellent presentation on this but he shows up in google searches so I suspect that just negates his medical degree.

Dr. Michael Eades - 'A New Hypothesis of Obesity' - YouTube

Lots of good info on that channel.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:14 AM
Gold member

Here is a Doctor who has the ability to reason cause and effect:

Peter Attia: What if we're wrong about diabetes? - YouTube
Closed Thread

Tags
elderly, acid, folic, make, trump

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.