Why so many more knee replacements?

Closed Thread
Old 07-19-2013, 02:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovsthosebigdogs View Post
Villages PL, you may not have said it in THIS post, but having read most of your posts since I signed on to TOTV I feel I am familiar with your style of post and writing and I too feel you often attribute whatever goes wrong with people to their diet. If that's not true then maybe it's something you don't mean, but it appears that I am not the only one who gets that impression.
Let me explain how this post came about. I read the other thread "stories about knee replacements". I thought it was a helpful thread but there was no talk about what causes knees to wear out. And I didn't want to hijack that thread by changing the subject. So I decided to start this thread.

I have some knowledge of this subject but decided that it would be a good idea to provide a link as a backup. I should have provided two links because not all of the causes are on one link. The link I provided mentioned arthritis in paragraph 3, obesity and knee injuries in paragraph 5. I believe another link would have provided the rest including something about diet. I'll see if I can find it again.

I hesitate to explain my philosophy on diet because it's not easy to explain. Should I try again? And if I do, will anyone bother to remember? No, I don't think so because it's easier to slap a label on someone as being all this or all that.

If you like, I can make a general statement: Most degenerative diseases are caused by lifestyle. How's that? Will that do it?

Quote:
I have bone on bone arthritis in my one knee and arthritis that isn't as severe in my other knee (as well as in my hip and other places). I am a woman's size extra small so it's not from extra weight and I am not an exercise fanatic so it's not from that.
Okay, good, we know what it's not.

Quote:
However, I have a family history of arthritis and I spent many years caring for and carrying a handicapped child who could not walk or care for herself so I am certain that lifting and carrying her all day long did cause joint damage and wear for me.
A family history could likely mean a predisposition. Lifting and carrying a handicapped child could very likely be the cause. Wouldn't that essentially be the same as being a heavier person? If you're a small size woman carrying a heavy child, I don't see that as being good for your knee joints. As I have suggested, wear 'n' tear is wear 'n' tear, regardless of how it comes about. For some it's athletics, for some it's their job, and for some it's being heavy or carrying someone heavy.

Quote:
My doctor has recommended replacements for me but I am not going to get them (yet). There are many reasons a person's joints can wear out.
And what reason do you feel I left out? The fact that you were lifting someone heavy? It still comes under the heading of "pressure on the knee joints" whether you are overweight or whether you are carrying someone heavy.

Quote:
And living in the NE I can tell you that winter's cold is terribly painful for me and the warmth of summer is much easier on my joints. Now you have heard that from 2 people. I don't need a published study to say if that is true or not. I know that's true.
I never said it wasn't true. I simply said I lived in the north-east and hadn't heard of it.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
Let me explain how this post came about. I read the other thread "stories about knee replacements". I thought it was a helpful thread but there was no talk about what causes knees to wear out. And I didn't want to hijack that thread by changing the subject. So I decided to start this thread.

I have some knowledge of this subject but decided that it would be a good idea to provide a link as a backup. I should have provided two links because not all of the causes are on one link. The link I provided mentioned arthritis in paragraph 3, obesity and knee injuries in paragraph 5. I believe another link would have provided the rest including something about diet. I'll see if I can find it again.

I hesitate to explain my philosophy on diet because it's not easy to explain. Should I try again? And if I do, will anyone bother to remember? No, I don't think so because it's easier to slap a label on someone as being all this or all that.

If you like, I can make a general statement: Most degenerative diseases are caused by lifestyle. How's that? Will that do it?

Okay, good, we know what it's not.

A family history could likely mean a predisposition. Lifting and carrying a handicapped child could very likely be the cause. Wouldn't that essentially be the same as being a heavier person? If you're a small size woman carrying a heavy child, I don't see that as being good for your knee joints. As I have suggested, wear 'n' tear is wear 'n' tear, regardless of how it comes about. For some it's athletics, for some it's their job, and for some it's being heavy or carrying someone heavy.

And what reason do you feel I left out? The fact that you were lifting someone heavy? It still comes under the heading of "pressure on the knee joints" whether you are overweight or whether you are carrying someone heavy.

I never said it wasn't true. I simply said I lived in the north-east and hadn't heard of it.
Your mea culpa is too late. You've insulted so many people's intelligence over numerous posts of yours with your high and mighty attitude.

I can relate to the lady above.......hers was an intelligent post.

You have no way of knowing our friends who were health fanatics and still died of cancer..........nor knowing our son who was born without a groove to support his knee, as per his orthopedic surgeon who told him he would be a likely candidate for "adult onset arthritis".........not all arthritis is caused by food.

You have a very narrow way of looking at things.....sad to say.

We've lived a long life.....had a successful marriage of almost fifty years and raised healthy active intelligent children who are likewise raising their own healthy active intelligent children (our grandchildren).

We always had tons of food in the home and yet these adult kids of ours and all of their teenaged and college aged friends would choose the healthy foods and still do...........they are physically active and world travelers..........not living some narrow life "assuming" what others eat.

They do not eat energy bars. You always insinuate that everyone eats energy bars that is athletic.
How do you know this? Are you psychic?

Rather than energy bars, they eat moderately from all food groups........portion control and choosing wisely what they consume.

Osteo arthritis is not caused by food.

Rheumatoid arthritis is not caused by food. It's an auto immune disease.
Are you a doctor? I doubt it.

You should get yourself a television set for some wider contact with the outside world........and a big glass of PRUNE JUICE.

Last edited by senior citizen; 07-19-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

here is a needless useless imformation.....until a few years ago..asians had a dificult time getting knee replacement because the implant was too big for their bone structure...
Old 07-19-2013, 05:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
Your mea culpa is too late. You've insulted so many people's intelligence over numerous posts of yours with your high and mighty attitude.

You have no way of knowing our friends who were health fanatics and still died of cancer..........nor knowing our son who was born without a groove to support his knee, as per his orthopedic surgeon who told him he would be a likely candidate for "adult onset arthritis".........not all arthritis is caused by food.

We've lived a long life.....had a successful marriage of almost fifty years and raised healthy active intelligent children who are likewise raising their own healthy active intelligent children (our grandchildren).

We always had tons of food in the home and yet these adult kids of ours and all of their teenaged and college aged friends would choose the healthy foods and still do...........they are physically active and world travelers..........not living some narrow life "assuming" what others eat.

They do not eat energy bars. You always insinuate that everyone eats energy bars that is athletic.

Rather than energy bars, they eat moderately from all food groups........portion control and choosing wisely what they consume.

You should get yourself a television set for some wider contact with the outside world........and a big glass of PRUNE JUICE.
SC ... I wish your post would be allowed to remain by the Admins. I think it might possibly be helpful if VP could understand how his posts are sometimes perceived by others as disparaging rather than helpful. 'Keeping It Real' wrote a post yesterday in a similar vein and it was deleted.

I think Villages PL has good intentions. I do. He has offended so many readers with his 'one-trick pony' theories. But I think he is genuinely trying to be helpful. I honestly don't think he understands that his comments can be construed as preaching and bragging.

Oh well. We could all use the Ignore function. But I just keep posting the same kind of comments myself, so perhaps I'm also a one-trick pony. I keep talking about a balanced life, about enjoying food and wine in moderation, about how having friends and contributing to the community also can lead to greater happiness and a happier and more fulfilling life.

Time to move on to happier threads. As my mom used to say "Least said, soonest mended".
Old 07-19-2013, 06:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Meeting a friend for a beer might be just as healthy as a second game of Pickleball!
But over time all that beer drinking could cause U to need an elbow replacement
Old 07-19-2013, 06:27 PM
Veteran member

:Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post

Since my post was deleted I want to applaud your post senior citizen, well said ...

And yes OP VPL, my niece had a kidney transplant in her teens which caused a breast tumor and has damaged her bones and joints due to the rejection medicine cyclosporin she has to take, another niece died of ovarian cancer at 22, and my mother has had a joint replacement, CAUSE, years of hard work on the farm and not her diet.

Going through these with family has educated us far more than you could ever imagine....

:

Last edited by KeepingItReal; 07-19-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:50 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
SC ... I wish your post would be allowed to remain by the Admins. I think it might possibly be helpful if VP could understand how his posts are sometimes perceived by others as disparaging rather than helpful. 'Keeping It Real' wrote a post yesterday in a similar vein and it was deleted.

I think Villages PL has good intentions. I do. He has offended so many readers with his 'one-trick pony' theories. But I think he is genuinely trying to be helpful. I honestly don't think he understands that his comments can be construed as preaching and bragging.

Oh well. We could all use the Ignore function. But I just keep posting the same kind of comments myself, so perhaps I'm also a one-trick pony. I keep talking about a balanced life, about enjoying food and wine in moderation, about how having friends and contributing to the community also can lead to greater happiness and a happier and more fulfilling life.

Time to move on to happier threads. As my mom used to say "Least said, soonest mended".

Barefoot I totally agree with you that in some strange way he really thinks he is doing a good thing educating the rest of us but the results are not positive and only upset those that have actually experienced these problems and then to have them minimized by someone that has no training in the medical field.

But then he won't stop...

Last edited by KeepingItReal; 07-19-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
But over time all that beer drinking could cause U to need an elbow replacement
And thanks, Jimbo (who I know is also very serious about diet), for injecting a little levity into this tense post.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.