Wife is really spooked over COVID-19

Closed Thread
Old 03-24-2020, 09:32 AM
Default Wife is really spooked over COVID-19

In my group of friends it seems that the wives are much more spooked then the husbands are.

Agree/Disagree?

If true, Why?

(I would need to be a psychologist to explain it.)
Old 03-24-2020, 09:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

All of our family is medical background. We do not have the luxury of being afraid. Most of the couples we know are cautious, but none are what you are describing.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:55 AM

My wife and I really aren't concerned about the virus. We are concerned that we have some trips scheduled in the summer and hope they aren't cancelled. My biggest fear is getting in situation like those on cruises and flights who have been put in mandatory quarantine. That would be worse than the virus.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:17 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
My wife and I really aren't concerned about the virus. We are concerned that we have some trips scheduled in the summer and hope they aren't cancelled. My biggest fear is getting in situation like those on cruises and flights who have been put in mandatory quarantine. That would be worse than the virus.
Roll the dice make a commitment either you go or you do not. Is your health more important or the trip.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

Tell your wife not to worry. More men die from virus than women!
Old 03-24-2020, 02:55 PM
Veteran member
Default More afraid

Well, the old saying is current again, especially in TV: "If this doesn't kill me, something else will." I suspect half of us living here are already being treated for one ugly disease or another.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:03 PM
Unhappy Wives spooked

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniskathyb View Post
In my group of friends it seems that the wives are much more spooked then the husbands are.

Agree/Disagree?

If true, Why?

I may not agree to "spooked", but I am sure the wives are far more concerned because they are the ones dealing with most of the fall-out. And, even with my medical background, I am scared. Not so much the virus, but the thought of starving to death is not making me happy. I don't know about the rest of you, but being unable to get the basics, ie, bread, milk, eggs, meat, frozen foods, pet food and now even "comfort" foods is really beginning to scare me. My spouse and I are unable to physically shop the stores and rely on online shopping and pick-up. That being completely disabled at this point, we are at a loss. Stocked for now, but what about a week or two from now? And I am sure many of these women are facing these same concerns. The men don't always get involved in this aspect of daily life. And the thought of relying on your neighbors is well & good, but with the purchase limits, how do they get theirs and mine also? Someone needs to come up with an answer to the food supply.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
Well, the old saying is current again, especially in TV: "If this doesn't kill me, something else will." I suspect half of us living here are already being treated for one ugly disease or another.
If you have been treated for a serious disease in the past there is a large chance your immune systems was compromised. This puts you in the highest of risk groups. I have isolated more than a week ago since I fall into that group. Seen facebook picture of a group of my friends partying the other night two of which are going through chemo right now.

How about a large percentage of seniors are type 2 diabetics. If you are type 2 diabetic you are immune compromised.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:27 PM

Because they are smarter then we are.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
If you have been treated for a serious disease in the past there is a large chance your immune systems was compromised. This puts you in the highest of risk groups. I have isolated more than a week ago since I fall into that group. Seen facebook picture of a group of my friends partying the other night two of which are going through chemo right now.

How about a large percentage of seniors are type 2 diabetics. If you are type 2 diabetic you are immune compromised.
Really??? Didn't know that. Must have missed that day in medical school, and internship, and residency, and in 35 years of practice.
Actually, if you are interested, I can give you a list of immunocompromised states. You won't find type 2 diabetes on it.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:48 PM
Veteran member

From the linked article..."women are more likely than men and boys to make connections between bad events in the past and possible negative events in the future, which could also increase anxiety about what lies ahead"

Also, according to a recent Forbes article, "Based on data and analysis released by the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, a recent New York Times article suggests that men may be more at risk than women: although men and women have been infected in roughly equal numbers, the death rate among men was 2.8%, compared with 1.7% among women."

Why Do Women Worry So Much? | Live Science
Old 03-24-2020, 06:12 PM
Sage

At our house, neither of us are in a panic. We live today and don't focus on the future. You could be hit be a vehicle at the postal station or keel over from ?? (fill in the blank). IF you're in need of items reach out to friends and neighbors to pick them up for you. We don't focus on the 24/7 "news"---none of it as all it is is panic info. More people have died from the regular flu this year than from this. I too am immuno-suppressed but I'm cautious, wash my hands and leave the rest to my Creator.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Really??? Didn't know that. Must have missed that day in medical school, and internship, and residency, and in 35 years of practice.
Actually, if you are interested, I can give you a list of immunocompromised states. You won't find type 2 diabetes on it.
I think your textbook needs an update. Used to be Type 1 was known for compromised immune systems. But in the last ten years studies are also showing Type 2 compromise also. I just completed a 4 session course here in TV by a PA whose entire career was diabetes related field. That's what they are teaching now. In my case it's immaterial since I am immune compromised from other ailments. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn once.

The lesson went something like
"Type 2 diabetes is now a worldwide epidemic, strongly correlated with an elevated incidence of obesity. Obesity-associated adipose tissue inflammation is a major cause of the decreased insulin sensitivity seen in type 2 diabetes. Recent studies have shed light on the crosstalk between the immune system and organismal metabolism"

I don't pretend to understand it.

Last edited by rustyp; 03-24-2020 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
I think your textbook needs an update. Used to be Type 1 was known for compromised immune systems. But in the last ten years studies are also showing Type 2 compromise also. I just completed a 4 session course here in TV by a PA whose entire career was diabetes related field. That's what they are teaching now. In my case it's immaterial since I am immune compromised from other ailments. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn once.
You really want to debate this with me???? Really????
Oh, right, YOU completed a whole 4 session, right, a FOUR session course Taught by a PA.

I bow to your superior expertise. I only taught this to medical students and residents for 30 years. I don't know why I'm even bothering to type this, other than to say you should refrain from using terminology that you don't understand

But here's another point. You posted, to thousands of Villagers that have type 2 DM, that they are (erroneously) immunocompromised and at even higher risk of death. Was there a purpose to that? If so, what was it?

PS---just saw you edit and I agree, you DON"T understand it

Actually, I'm not clear on that statement either. It seems to be referring to downregulation of insulin receptors at the cellular level of target tissues, but I have no idea what the term "organismal metabolism" even means

Last edited by golfing eagles; 03-24-2020 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,743 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniskathyb View Post

Agree/Disagree?

If true, Why?

Maybe this might help?

COVID-19 Community Questions Part 1 - YouTube
Closed Thread

Tags
spooked, agree/disagree, true, psychologist, husbands

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.