Wife is really spooked over COVID-19

Closed Thread
Old 03-25-2020, 10:09 AM

Inexes, the stores have most things now except paper products. I would hope those will be on the shelves in the next week or two. I really hope I haven't moved to an area where so many people can sustain their panic for that long. If so, the Villages needs to change its slogan. If you need help, message me and I'll be glad to help.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymini View Post
Has everyone lost their minds? How long can we hole ourselves up? Be cautious, wash your hands. If you are at increased risk, take more precautions. Being irrational is meaningless. If things are closed down for two weeks, I think we can venture back to normal. There will always be someone who is ill. Specific isolation for people is the better way to go.
That takes testing. Lots of testing. Something we missed the boat on and something South Korea has reportedly done admirably well with success.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:20 AM

In my experience, that is certainly true. Not just about this virus, but life in general. Look at the postings about speeders in TV and almost all of the complainers are women.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:26 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,061 Times in 530 Posts

Why? Because the women in question are smarter than their men.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

this female isnt afraid, & while i'm taking the steps asked to restrict the virus, it won't be the end of the world if i get it. i've survived a LOT worse than this. is prob best not to loose ur head & panic needlessly. i think the confinement is giving some people more time to worry about what may/may not happen.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Really??? Didn't know that. Must have missed that day in medical school, and internship, and residency, and in 35 years of practice.
Actually, if you are interested, I can give you a list of immunocompromised states. You won't find type 2 diabetes on it.
Yep. Sorry, Doc. You are wrong.

Any types of Asthma and Diabetes are higher risk
“ Based upon available information to date, those at high-risk for severe illness from COVID-19 include:

People aged 65 years and older
People who live in a nursing home or long-term care facility
Other high-risk conditions could include:
People with chronic lung disease or moderate to severe asthma
People who have serious heart conditions
People who are immunocompromised including cancer treatment
People of any age with severe obesity (body mass index [BMI] >40) or certain underlying medical conditions, particularly if not well controlled, such as those with DIABETES, renal failure, or liver disease might also be at risk
People who are pregnant should be monitored since they are known to be at risk with severe viral illness, however, to date data on COVID-19 has not shown increased risk
Many conditions can cause a person to be immunocompromised, including cancer treatment, bone marrow or organ transplantation, immune deficiencies, poorly controlled HIV or AIDS, and prolonged use of corticosteroids and other immune weakening medications”

Source: CDC.gov

People who are at higher risk for severe illness | CDC
Old 03-25-2020, 11:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALadysMom View Post
Yep. Sorry, Doc. You are wrong.

Any types of Asthma and Diabetes are higher risk
“ Based upon available information to date, those at high-risk for severe illness from COVID-19 include:

People aged 65 years and older
People who live in a nursing home or long-term care facility
Other high-risk conditions could include:
People with chronic lung disease or moderate to severe asthma
People who have serious heart conditions
People who are immunocompromised including cancer treatment
People of any age with severe obesity (body mass index [BMI] >40) or certain underlying medical conditions, particularly if not well controlled, such as those with DIABETES, renal failure, or liver disease might also be at risk
People who are pregnant should be monitored since they are known to be at risk with severe viral illness, however, to date data on COVID-19 has not shown increased risk
Many conditions can cause a person to be immunocompromised, including cancer treatment, bone marrow or organ transplantation, immune deficiencies, poorly controlled HIV or AIDS, and prolonged use of corticosteroids and other immune weakening medications”

Source: CDC.gov

People who are at higher risk for severe illness | CDC
No, I AM NOT WRONG

There is a huge difference between being at increased risk and being immunocompromised. For MOM, there is a difference between an autoimmune disease and being immunocompromised. The problem is a lack of understanding the vocabulary and the terminology, it's not your fault, you're not expected to know. When you read something online, it can be confusing.

I don't really want to nitpick or debate with laypeople, my objection is using the forum to post something that will needlessly frighten a lot of people.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswirs View Post
Exactly, especially your reference to the news as "panic information". I have not changed any of my daily habits, other than washing my hands more often. Should I get the virus and pass away, so be it. However, I have no underlying health conditions.
If only your demise would be guaranteed to be that simple and quick but this disease does not usually cause an instant death. If you are stricken you may suffer a lot before you die and so will anyone who cared about you.

Are you justified in your denial because you are not in a ANY higher risk group? That’s doubtful since you chose to live in an entire community who are almost all at higher risk.

I think the officials probably should have made the higher risk folks of all ages—myself included—stay in lockdown rather than forcing those who could have been productive into isolation too. They would be gaining “herd immunity” the hard way, no vaccine needed. The problem is that some of them would not have survived and many, like you, would not have heeded selective isolation.

And we vote, the young don’t.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:21 PM

Golfing Eagles:
I respect that you are A DOCTOR; however, the CDC was the source, not a lowly “layperson” like me. I defer to their collectively knowledgeable guidance.

Fear is based in a lack of knowledge. If you are afraid, gain some power through knowledge. Since you are not God, you are not expected to know everything.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
No, I AM NOT WRONG

There is a huge difference between being at increased risk and being immunocompromised. For MOM, there is a difference between an autoimmune disease and being immunocompromised. The problem is a lack of understanding the vocabulary and the terminology, it's not your fault, you're not expected to know. When you read something online, it can be confusing.

I don't really want to nitpick or debate with laypeople, my objection is using the forum to post something that will needlessly frighten a lot of people.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALadysMom View Post
Golfing Eagles:
I respect that you are A DOCTOR; however, the CDC was the source, not a lowly “layperson” like me. I defer to their collectively knowledgeable guidance.

Fear is based in a lack of knowledge. If you are afraid, gain some power through knowledge. Since you are not God, you are not expected to know everything.
Your SOURCE is accurate enough, but your INTERPRETATION of it is NOT. Per your own post, the CDC gave a list of persons who are at INCREASED RISK. Increased risk is NOT, repeat NOT equivalent to being immunocompromised.

You also posted that type 2 DM may be autoimmune in nature. An autoimmune disease, does NOT necessarily mean the patient is immunocompromised. Some autoimmune diseases do lead to immunocompromise, such as lupus. Others, such as Hashimoto's thyroiditis do not
Old 03-25-2020, 01:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Your SOURCE is accurate enough, but your INTERPRETATION of it is NOT. Per your own post, the CDC gave a list of persons who are at INCREASED RISK. Increased risk is NOT, repeat NOT equivalent to being immunocompromised.

You also posted that type 2 DM may be autoimmune in nature. An autoimmune disease, does NOT necessarily mean the patient is immunocompromised. Some autoimmune diseases do lead to immunocompromise, such as lupus. Others, such as Hashimoto's thyroiditis do not
For the record are you broadcasting that people with 2DM are not at higher risk for severe illness from coronavirus than a perfectly healthy person ? How did you hit them today ?

Last edited by rustyp; 03-25-2020 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
For the record are you broadcasting that people with 2DM are not at higher risk for severe illness from coronavirus than a perfectly healthy person ? How did you hit them today ?
No, that's not what I said. People with type 2 DM ARE at higher risk for COVID-19 and it's complications. They simply are NOT immunocompromised.

BTW, 76 with 36 putts, if you can call putting at a PVC pipe putting
Old 03-25-2020, 03:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,653 Times in 1,496 Posts
Default Agree

Quote:

If I understand golfing eagles point it is like the analogy that " all cocker spaniels are dogs, but not all dogs are cocker spaniels." Am I getting you right, doc?
Old 03-25-2020, 03:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
If I understand golfing eagles point it is like the analogy that " all cocker spaniels are dogs, but not all dogs are cocker spaniels." Am I getting you right, doc?
That's pretty good----all immunocompromised patients are at increased risk, but not all persons at increased risk are immunocompromised----I like it, thanks

I may have been a bit harsh with a few fellow TOTVers, but I've been trying to clarify any posts that may needlessly frighten people.
And no, I don't know anywhere near everything, but I'm pretty sure I know a lot more medical science than someone who went to a 4 session course taught by a PA.
PS. I still have no idea what the PA was trying to say, except it made no sense, a kind of medical gibberish
Closed Thread

Tags
spooked, agree/disagree, true, psychologist, husbands

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.