Women and Insomnia

Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2018, 04:47 PM
Default Women and Insomnia

The more women our age that I talk to tell me that they, like me, have trouble sleeping. I thought this might be a good place to share our challenges and our successes with insomnia. Trouble falling asleep? Waking up at 2-3 am? found anything that helps?
Since this is a problem for so many of us at this age, I wonder if it is hormonal (or lack thereof). Thoughts?
Old 01-20-2018, 06:21 PM
Veteran member

Part of life’s changes and going thru changes.

Have you tried melatonin natural sleep aid?

When I wake I remember that I’m retired and don’t have to be sharp and can take a nap the next day!
Old 01-20-2018, 06:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddygirl View Post
The more women our age that I talk to tell me that they, like me, have trouble sleeping. I thought this might be a good place to share our challenges and our successes with insomnia. Trouble falling asleep? Waking up at 2-3 am? found anything that helps?
Since this is a problem for so many of us at this age, I wonder if it is hormonal (or lack thereof). Thoughts?
I sleep like a baby in this cold weather, but don't sleep well in the summer when it is very hot, even with the AC. Nothing wakes my husband - nothing!

I should add that I have to be very careful what I watch on TV before going to bed. If I watch something that bothers me I do have a hard time sleeping.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Last edited by Madelaine Amee; 01-21-2018 at 07:20 AM.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:20 AM
Veteran member

Insomnia....my middle name.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianne237 View Post
Insomnia....my middle name.
Do you stay in bed or do you get up and do things?
Old 01-21-2018, 03:31 PM

i have tried both getting up & staying in bed & reading. tried melatonin too. nothing has worked so far.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:26 PM

Has anyone tried Valerian? It is an herbal remedy.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll With It View Post
Comes in pill form or in a tea. For those with chronic insomnia most over the counter does not seem to work well.

My sleep patterns i inherent from Grandparents and parents, as I require very little sleep. We rem almost immediately for around 4 hours. Never feel tired. After 4ish hours of sleep off to the gym for couple of hours, then on to 10 hour shift, then relax with yoga or meditation class before heading home. My grandparents lived healthy lives until late 90s, and both my parents are very active at 87. Sleep clinics do not classify us as insomniac, just a solid rem sleeper
Old 01-26-2018, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I sleep like a baby in this cold weather, but don't sleep well in the summer when it is very hot, even with the AC. Nothing wakes my husband - nothing!

I should add that I have to be very careful what I watch on TV before going to bed. If I watch something that bothers me I do have a hard time sleeping.
I agree. I like snuggling under blankets. And I try to watch HGTV at night before sleep.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I sleep like a baby in this cold weather, but don't sleep well in the summer when it is very hot, even with the AC. .
I am chiming in as a male, cause i am a light sleeper, the above post mentions the cool weather. I don't think that's it. The sun comes up earlier in the summer. I feel lack of sleep is due to bright rooms. I put aluminum foil on my windows...pitch black room. Plus it keeps the aliens away. Bill
Old 01-26-2018, 09:34 AM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Since 1986 I have been taking Zolpidem (generic for Ambien). Since I am now 77 and have been taking it for so long that the doctors say there is no point in my quitting it. So I sleep happily. My sister, on the other hand, is unable to get this Rx: the Canadian health care system is really very strict about prescribing such meds. So she tried OTC one by one and none of those so-called herbal remedies help. I suspect she drinks enough to get drunk so she can fall asleep drunk.

Last edited by EPutnam1863; 01-26-2018 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll With It View Post
I have tried Valerian and other herbs too. No luck.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPutnam1863 View Post
Since 1986 I have been taking Zolpidem (generic for Ambien). Since I am now 77 and have been taking it for so long that the doctors say there is no point in my quitting it. So I sleep happily. My sister, on the other hand, is unable to get this Rx: the Canadian health care system is really very strict about prescribing such meds. So she tried OTC one by one and none of those so-called herbal remedies help. I suspect she drinks enough to get drunk.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:15 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:

Same thing for me when it comes to books.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:53 PM
Gold member

My PCP here in TV suggested that I try "Aletril". It is an over the counter sleep aid that contains:
1. Valerian
2. Melatonin
3. L Tryptophan (the chemical in Turkey that is credited with the mandatory Thanksgiving Day nap)

It has helped me decrease the amount of prescription sleep meds that I require. She told me that some of her patients have been able to get off of Ambien by using it. I have not had that much success thus far, but decreasing any Rx sleep meds is a plus as far as I am concerned.

I know I have the typical age/hormone related sleep problems, but I also as a RN, I worked 12 hr night shifts for 30 yrs. Soooo.....I may never be able to have a normal sleep pattern.

If i could go to bed at 3 am and get up a 10 am, I would be just fine. Unfortunately, my husband doesn't really like that schedule. Normal sleep is a constant challenge for me.

Last edited by dotti105; 01-28-2018 at 08:59 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
women, trouble, age, insomnia, thoughts

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.