Wondering- Any Medical Conditions that Improve/Worsen in Fla. Climate

Closed Thread
Old 11-23-2022, 03:00 PM
Default Wondering- Any Medical Conditions that Improve/Worsen in Fla. Climate

We will move to TV in 8 months. We have lived in New England all our lives. I'm wondering if people have noticed that any health conditions have improved or worsened; such as allergies, etc. (or developed) in the Florida climate- Thanks
Old 11-23-2022, 03:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

My sciatica, which hadn't bothered me after moving from a one-story house to a three-story condo, flared up drastically when we moved to TV. I spent one summer barely able to walk, in physical therapy and later with a chiropractor, with only about 80 percent improvement. Eventually we bought a summer home that has two stories and only one bathroom, on the second floor. After going up and down the stairs the first month, all sciatica problems went away. I really think going up and down stairs keeps my back in better alignment. If we lived in TV full time, I would find a gym with a stair stepper. But there's also a turn in the staircase that makes the movement different than if it were just a stair stepper.
Conversely, my sinuses bother me in the summer home but disappear in The Villages home.
Old 11-23-2022, 03:37 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Painful dry cracked skin cleared up in two weeks. Never going back north
Old 11-23-2022, 03:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,660 Times in 1,529 Posts

Sunburn is worse.

With hangovers a close second.

Last edited by ThirdOfFive; 11-23-2022 at 04:03 PM.
Old 11-23-2022, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
We will move to TV in 8 months. We have lived in New England all our lives. I'm wondering if people have noticed that any health conditions have improved or worsened; such as allergies, etc. (or developed) in the Florida climate- Thanks
Don't drive your golf cart while drunk, and you will certainly be overall happier and healthier here. Sunshine, social opportunities and physical activities all lead to overall wellbeing.
Old 11-23-2022, 04:23 PM

Depending on diagnosis, I would think the warmer climate in Florida would be better for the bones and joints. Plus the tendency toward an active lifestyle and the ability to remain active outdoors for 12 months instead of just a few months. One thing I can clearly testify to.... now that I have had the misfortune to have to relocate further north, NC, I now realize how the climate in Florida was so kind to the skin, hair and nails. I have never experienced the skin problems that I am now experiencing here. Never in my life would I dream that I would cry for the return to that humidity, lol...
Old 11-23-2022, 04:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Warm weather is much easier on old aching joints with osteoarthritis. But the best thing about Florida is that ticks are very few and far between.
Old 11-23-2022, 08:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

Allergy capital of the world, something is always giving off pollen and the winter is so mild that it really doesn't abate.
But.. it's great here, c'mon down.
Old 11-23-2022, 09:13 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

My wife’s arthritis and asthma are better. For me, just getting out of the severe cold helps my bones as the cold weather goes right through my bones now a days. Extreme heat is tough as well but we are not here in the summer.
Old 11-23-2022, 09:18 PM

I have a whole grocery list of autoimmune diseases, one of them being Reynaud’s Phenomenon, also peripheral vascular disease. In cold weather my circulation shuts down to my extremities. Last year we tried moving to Kentucky (from Venice, FL). By the end of the winter I had lost a piece of the end of one of my fingers. We moved back to Florida so fast my head spun. So…..circulatory diseases, particularly if triggered by cold will definitely improve. Cold induced asthma, which I also have, no longer a problem. And a whole rash of other diseases can be helped by the availability of the perfect weather and a beautiful, safe environment to get out and soak up the sunshine and fresh air while getting some physical activity. Yoga classes, water aerobics, cardio drumming, walking, no end to the resources here to improve your health. Almost anything can be improved by the lifestyle we have here if you make use of what is available. Welcome to paradise.
Old 11-23-2022, 09:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

MS May or may not worsen. Heat is not your friend with MS, summers are brutal for many with MS in Florida, or pretty much the south
Old 11-24-2022, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
MS May or may not worsen. Heat is not your friend with MS, summers are brutal for many with MS in Florida, or pretty much the south
I have MS and have not found it to be a factor unless I try to exercise in the heat of the day in summer.
Old 11-24-2022, 05:38 AM

My parents moved here in 1996. Within the year my father’s asthma was much worse, exacerbated by the humidity here. However, by then, my dad decided he was too old to move anymore, and he and my mom stayed, and we ended up moving here to help them out.

My husband, who had never had allergies in his entire 70 plus years, developed allergies, the months of March through May being the worst. I, on the other hand, who have always had terrible allergies, actually do much better here in Florida. Probably because I spend so much more time indoors to get away from the heat.
Old 11-24-2022, 05:40 AM

My husband's PT guy says FL retirees start to get knee issues after about 2 to 3 years. Our legs weaken as a result of moving here from 2-story homes w/ basements, and undulating terrain. The weakened muscles no longer support the knee properly, and create knee issues. The stair-climber solution sounds like a good one for this issue as well as the sciatica. Also, I had seasonal allergies up north, and still have them in the spring down here.
Old 11-24-2022, 06:10 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

Burn survivors, skin grafts do not have sweat glands, will find the summer heat/obressive humidity (whatever sweat that you have doesn't evaporate [cool] well) prime time for heat exhaustion.

But the lack of crushing cold winters are fantastic: burn victims are sensitive to temperature.
Closed Thread

Tags
conditions, wondering-, worsened;, people, noticed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.