Wondering- Any Medical Conditions that Improve/Worsen in Fla. Climate

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2022, 10:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
We will move to TV in 8 months. We have lived in New England all our lives. I'm wondering if people have noticed that any health conditions have improved or worsened; such as allergies, etc. (or developed) in the Florida climate- Thanks
"We will move to the villages in 8 months." I have no idea why you would ask NOW. I would ask your doctor who knows your history,
Old 11-24-2022, 01:11 PM
Smile

Quote:
We will move to TV in 8 months. We have lived in New England all our lives. I'm wondering if people have noticed that any health conditions have improved or worsened; such as allergies, etc. (or developed) in the Florida climate- Thanks
My itchy, dry Wyoming skin appreciates the months that I spend in Florida.
Old 11-24-2022, 01:29 PM

Allergies have increased since moving here from gulf coast.
Old 11-24-2022, 01:39 PM

I would echo that La lamy's suggestion that skin cancer needs to be watched closely/carefully.
Old 11-24-2022, 01:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Wife and I wintered in TV for over 20 years.
Last visit was 2019/20 winter.
Missed next two years because of Covid travel restrictions, and gave up this year because the value has gone with all the rental rate increases (Home, car rental, flights, food etc.)
Never noticed any difference health wise, until we didn't come.
Two winters and a third on its way back in UK, have proved to both of us how beneficial warm Florida was to our aches and pains.
We both miss it!
Old 11-24-2022, 02:15 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Two Bills: Sorry to hear. I understand your dilemma. Snowbird expenses have proved to be “excessive” the last few years. Purchasing a home in TV also is challenging to find value for the middle class income wage earners. Fortunately we purchased in TV several years ago. We love TV but it has become unaffordable for many but still a value for those that can afford the lifestyle. It is no secret there is a shortage of affordable housing across the United States. Sorry my comments are a bit off topic. On topic, I agree the warm Florida winters are great for our aging bodies.
Old 11-24-2022, 03:40 PM

Allergies can increase. Some move from FL to AZ to get away from them. Warm humid air breeds molds. Trees like Live Oak adds pollens.
Old 11-24-2022, 06:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Yes, pollen and mildew allergies are a real problem in Florida. There is an algae called red tide that affect people badly within 5 miles distance from the ocean. It is not present all year round so you need to check with a Florida health site before you go to a saltwater beach. It affects the throat and lungs and is bad if you have allergies. You need to drink a lot of water during your 1st 2 months in Florida to get used to the heat and humidity. Also, the summers are deadly hot. If you plan on spending the summers up north, then the summers are not a problem for you. If you are planning on being a full-time resident, I would SERIOUSLY recommend that you try one of the Carolinas. Florida summers are hot and getting hotter!
Old 11-24-2022, 10:38 PM
Default Living Here Helped my Sinuses

I typically have 3 sinus infections a year with change of seasons. We’ve been here since January and no sinus infections. I also usually get very dry skin in the winter but no more.
Old 11-24-2022, 10:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,512 Times in 3,105 Posts

I'm from New England too. Allergies are my #1 complaint. My eyes are almost always stinging, and I now have to use fluonase every single day to keep my nose from running 24/7.

Compare with up north, when I had a runny nose when it was really cold outside and I had to actually BE outside, and the first two weeks of spring when the pollen count was high.

As for skin cancer - most of the damage was done when you are a kid. It catches up to you when you get older. Skin cancers you have diagnosed at age 60, were first formed when you were 10, and subsequent years of baby oil and iodine or Hawaiian Tropic Professional Tanning Oil basically fed the cells until they became the things you have to have burned or shaved off today.

But being in the sun a lot does exacerbate the damage previously done. Anything that might have waited to show up when you're 80, could easily show up when you're 60 instead because you're out in the sun more now than you were before. Just make sure you're on top of it, get a full body skin check every year.
Old 11-24-2022, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
"We will move to the villages in 8 months." I have no idea why you would ask NOW. I would ask your doctor who knows your history,
1) Because my doctor lives in Massachusetts.

2) I have medical conditions that trouble me every day and I'm wondering if there is hope they might go away in 8 months- gives me something to look forward to.

3) It was my understanding this was a place where friendly, mature people came to converse in the form of asking and answering questions. Judging from the overwhelmingly kind, mature answers I got to my question- compared to your reply I'd say I was about 99.9% correct.

Thanks for the background noise.
Old 11-25-2022, 06:17 AM

According to some of the movies I’ve seen and a few articles, maybe an STD?

Darn, I can’t get the lid back on this can of worms….
Old 11-25-2022, 06:39 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,139 Times in 882 Posts

Quote:
1) Because my doctor lives in Massachusetts.

2) I have medical conditions that trouble me every day and I'm wondering if there is hope they might go away in 8 months- gives me something to look forward to.

3) It was my understanding this was a place where friendly, mature people came to converse in the form of asking and answering questions. Judging from the overwhelmingly kind, mature answers I got to my question- compared to your reply I'd say I was about 99.9% correct.

Thanks for the background noise.
You got it right! There is an "IGNORE" icon in your settings to mute those curmudgeons.
Old 11-25-2022, 08:11 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
I've heard of lots of skin cancer, as you can imagine. Preventable I reckon if you're careful of when you do outdoor activities with adequate sunscreen/clothing.
So true. I use lots and lots of suntan lotion and a big brim hat. The humidity is great for the skin.
Old 11-25-2022, 08:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurawilcox View Post
I know this sounds more than strange, but we came from Denver. Had vocal/singing physician that was treating me for vocal cord issues. Mine were damaged and seizing up limiting my singing and causing choking several times a month. He finally said either two month shots into the vocal cords forever or move to humidity. Thankfully that was already in our plans. Singing again like a newly standing goal, very unsure but the voice is coming back and not a single seizing/choking spell.
I love Colorado, but the extreme dryness really screws up my throat and sinus passages.

Tags
conditions, wondering-, worsened;, people, noticed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.