New section - In Memoriam

Old 05-04-2021, 01:40 PM
Administrator
Default New section - In Memoriam

This section is dedicated to the memory of the loved ones we have lost. When creating your post please format with the name and dates of your loved one in the subject line, then your dedication in the body of the thread. Please include a picture. As long as TOTV exists this will be a permanent place to honor our loved ones forever.

Feel free to leave pictures or videos you may have of any of our 'Eternal Members' under their Memoriam so there is a permanent record of our loved ones and you can share your memories as well here for everyone to enjoy.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:12 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOTV Team View Post
This section is dedicated to the memory of the loved ones we have lost. When creating your post please format with the name and dates of your loved one in the subject line, then your dedication in the body of the thread. Please include a picture. As long as TOTV exists this will be a permanent place to honor our loved ones forever.

Feel free to leave pictures or videos you may have of any of our 'Eternal Members' under their Memoriam so there is a permanent record of our loved ones and you can share your memories as well here for everyone to enjoy.

I debated about whether to stick my nose in here, but then decided to go ahead. . .

I realize the TOTV Team thinks this is a nice idea, but I feel like I need to make the team and other TOTVers aware of the fact that obituaries can be gold mines for scammers.

Obituaries reveal a lot of information that can be used to take advantage of the bereaved and to steal the identity of the deceased.

I have noticed that in recent times, some obituaries include not only names and dates, as usual, but also a whole lot of personal information.

As a matter of course, obituaries are made public on funeral home sites, and I am sure there are scumbags who cruise those for opportunities. But before posting additionally on a public forum, especially one geared to seniors, may I suggest thinking about the potential for unintended consequences.

A couple of years ago, I heard a speaker give a presentation about scams that target seniors. He brought up this issue.

Here is an article with more information and advice:

Grieving Loved Ones Targeted in Obituary Scams

Boomer
Old 05-04-2021, 05:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I debated about whether to stick my nose in here, but then decided to go ahead. . .

I realize the TOTV Team thinks this is a nice idea, but I feel like I need to make the team and other TOTVers aware of the fact that obituaries can be gold mines for scammers.

Obituaries reveal a lot of information that can be used to take advantage of the bereaved and to steal the identity of the deceased.

I have noticed that in recent times, some obituaries include not only names and dates, as usual, but also a whole lot of personal information.

As a matter of course, obituaries are made public on funeral home sites, and I am sure there are scumbags who cruise those for opportunities. But before posting additionally on a public forum, especially one geared to seniors, may I suggest thinking about the potential for unintended consequences.

A couple of years ago, I heard a speaker give a presentation about scams that target seniors. He brought up this issue.

Boomer
Probably one of the best bits of advice I've ever seen posted here. Many thanks.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

Quote:

Not a good idea. You are grieving and thinking with emotion. I am sorry for the loss you posted today.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:30 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,374 Times in 497 Posts

I agree bad idea.
Old 05-04-2021, 07:40 PM
Sage

Bad idea for the reasons already given and more.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:44 AM

I agree, not the right place for this.
Old 05-05-2021, 05:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

In UK. burglaries of deceased homes during funeral services, that had service dates and times advertised have became so prevelant, that it is now the norm to leave someone behind to guard the property.
Old 05-05-2021, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

Boomer
This is great insight regarding scams. We need to be vigilant even when it comes to our dearly departed. It warrants stating - Scammers don't give a rip about your or your family and especially your grief! Bear in mind they are all THIEVES!
Old 05-05-2021, 07:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Won't be long before the subsection Pet Memoriam appears.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:48 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,051 Times in 523 Posts

Yeah...... No.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

How about just posting that some poster has passed and we can share memories of that poster's work on Talk of the Villages. But not reveal personal stuff unless it is generic like Donna liked paranormal trivia.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,705 Posts

I bet several scammers are really disappointed with Boomer’s post, right now. I could see them licking their chops before, in my mind’s eye.
Old 05-05-2021, 01:09 PM
Administrator

These are all great comments and feedback. The thought was the information is available online at news sites, in the news paper and on the internet through funeral home sites. The section is voluntary and only if someone wanted to post something on the site. TOTV would not be posting any user content. The amount of information would be up to the original poster. They could only put a name or a picture or whatever they wanted to post. But it is an opportunity for users to pay tribute to their friends and family.

We welcome all feedback as always and look forward to hearing from users on this.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
These are all great comments and feedback. The thought was the information is available online at news sites, in the news paper and on the internet through funeral home sites. The section is voluntary and only if someone wanted to post something on the site. TOTV would not be posting any user content. The amount of information would be up to the original poster. They could only put a name or a picture or whatever they wanted to post. But it is an opportunity for users to pay tribute to their friends and family.

We welcome all feedback as always and look forward to hearing from users on this.
I think your idea is a good and honorable and kind one. If the funeral is past and the person is someone that this forum knows then I see this as a good remembrance.

We have to remember too that many people think Facebook is a dangerous place. (I am beginning to think that is partially right after their ruling today,) but many people miss out a wonderful way to communicate with others when they don't use Facebook. Many people are truly paranoid about privacy. Everyone is entitled to their views.

Almost all people on this Forum have screen names. I would think that they do not want people to KNOW who they really are. That allows a lot of flexibility and sometimes meanness in their posts. That is another issue.

I am a constant student of human behavior and never cease to be surprised.

Tags
body, include, loved, section, thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.