Open Play Rules

Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2016, 09:19 AM
Default Open Play Rules

According to the written rules on page 3 of the Recreation News, Open Play is for those of you who would prefer to play on your own. However, according to the recreation department via a couple of lengthy phone calls, if you are playing during OPEN PLAY and someone else wants to play with you, you MUST let them play in the next game regardless of their level of play. I personally believe this contradicts the written description of open play. My point is this: My friends and I organized a water volleyball game to play on our own days in advance. We were the only ones in the pool when a couple walked in and wanted to insert themselves into our group which was already full. We indicated this was open play time and we here to play on our own. They insisted that they had taken a water volleyball class and went on and on about how we were required to let them play. This would mean that some of us would have to sit out. Per our interpretation of the written description of open play we thought they were wrong and continued our play. I personally cant imagine trying to force myself on someone enjoying themselves in a private game, but they were so intent on interrupting what was obviously friends having a good time that they went crying to the facilities manager who sent her people out and told us we had to let them play. We only had 20 minutes left anyway so we decided to leave which left the courts completely empty and no one got to enjoy the facilities. Based on the recreation department's verbal rules, if two couples are the only people playing pickleball, or you and your wife are playing shuffleboard or whatever sport, and a person walks up and says I would like to play in the next game, one of you is required to sit out and let this person play regardless of their level of play. I am not really concerned about it happening again because I believe very few people would insist on forcing themselves on a few friends having a good time. In all the years my friends and I have been using open play time for various activities this was a first. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Old 03-18-2016, 12:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstag View Post
According to the written rules on page 3 of the Recreation News, Open Play is for those of you who would prefer to play on your own. However, according to the recreation department via a couple of lengthy phone calls, if you are playing during OPEN PLAY and someone else wants to play with you, you MUST let them play in the next game regardless of their level of play. I personally believe this contradicts the written description of open play. My point is this: My friends and I organized a water volleyball game to play on our own days in advance. We were the only ones in the pool when a couple walked in and wanted to insert themselves into our group which was already full. We indicated this was open play time and we here to play on our own. They insisted that they had taken a water volleyball class and went on and on about how we were required to let them play. This would mean that some of us would have to sit out. Per our interpretation of the written description of open play we thought they were wrong and continued our play. I personally cant imagine trying to force myself on someone enjoying themselves in a private game, but they were so intent on interrupting what was obviously friends having a good time that they went crying to the facilities manager who sent her people out and told us we had to let them play. We only had 20 minutes left anyway so we decided to leave which left the courts completely empty and no one got to enjoy the facilities. Based on the recreation department's verbal rules, if two couples are the only people playing pickleball, or you and your wife are playing shuffleboard or whatever sport, and a person walks up and says I would like to play in the next game, one of you is required to sit out and let this person play regardless of their level of play. I am not really concerned about it happening again because I believe very few people would insist on forcing themselves on a few friends having a good time. In all the years my friends and I have been using open play time for various activities this was a first. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
After all of that, you summed it up very well.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

I see that this is your first post.

So, let see if I have this right. A rec center person informed you as to the meaning and purpose of the open play periods. But, you would prefer to make your own interpretation and host a private game. I foresee future conflicts.

Open play is an opportunity to meet and interact with your neighbors. This is especially nice for new residents who would like to meet others that have similar interests, like water volleyball.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Was there a posted courtesy rule to allow others the opportunity to play, as per the written rules on page 3?

Quote:
Old 03-19-2016, 01:23 PM

Open play is specifically spelled out as "for those of you who prefer to play an activity on your own. No courts are reserved, but are available on a first-ome-first-served basis" as stated on page 3 of the recreation news. If you are new and want to meet new people you would go to organized play where they place you on a different team everyday and you play with different people every day.

There was no courtesy rule posted. I specifically asked that they post one if their rules were going to differ from other pools.
Old 03-19-2016, 02:25 PM

Even if there was no courtesy rule posted it would seem to me that it is basic human decency to let a fellow villager play if he asked. The "interlopers" in question have paid their amenity fees just like you did. You did not own that pool during the open play.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 03-19-2016, 02:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
I can understand why you're upset, but unfortunately it looks like the rec department has set up the rules that way. I cannot imagine inserting myself in a private group that way, but some people have no qualms, and apparently they are within their rights although I personally find it to be discourteous, rule or no rule. I guess the bottom line is, these are not private pools, they are community pools, and we have to play by community rules.
Old 03-19-2016, 03:00 PM
Sage

I'm just gonna throw something out there. It may not apply. Just disregard if that is the case...

If it's like pickleball, "open play" is specifically so anybody...even a single...can go to the courts and get in line to be paired up with whomever is next to them in line and play a game? I know pickleball has "beginner', "intermediate", "advanced" and such so generally like-skilled players can play together. But it is a wonderful system . You can just go any time there is "open play" scheduled and know you'll get a game.

This is different than those times when there is nothing scheduled on the courts, including "open play". In other words, it's called "open play". But it is a scheduled event for all qualified players. When there is nothing scheduled (including "open play") at a set of pickleball courts, and the courts are open, this...again from my understanding...is when a group of friends can go play together and fully expect to have nobody try to horn in on their game.

Is it possible this same sort of system is set up for water volleyball? Open play is for anybody who wishes to come and join a game? Pool time when nothing is scheduled would then be when friends could get together for their own private game?
Old 03-19-2016, 03:09 PM

Excellent explanation of open play, one of the features of The Villages that allows people to meet and get to know other villagers. If you don,t want to play with others sign up for a time as a group during the non open times.
Old 03-19-2016, 03:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Open play does not mean you can play without letting anybody else in. If the court is full, you get in line and rotate in at game's end. What OP is describing is "reserved" time, and that is when a group is formed, names itself, and applies to the rec dept. for a specific day and time. Otherwise you must share.
Old 03-19-2016, 03:51 PM
Gold member

There will always be varying skill levels in all of the athletic venues within The Villages that have hours posted for open play.I have been here for 10 years and have played open Pickleball for 9 1/2 years. After the basic skills and rules were absorbed, I searched out courts that would be compatible with my level. As my skills increased over the years I continued to look for courts that would be skill compatible. My point is that I believe it is the responsibility of the person or persons who wants to insert themselves into an open play activity, to do a little research and find a venue that fits their skill level. With that said there will always be some that just show up and ask to play in a an activity beyond their skill level. They should realize this inequity reasonably soon and hopefully will move on to a compatible location elsewhere, which in TV they are numerous. If they don't there is nothing wrong with politltely suggesting there are other locations for their level of play. Beyond this the situation can deteriorate, which I have experienced, where the group just refuses to play with that person. At this point majority rules and the person(s) usually get the hint and move on. Seems in most cases Villages can politely resolve these situations, but with 110,000 + there will always be some that just don't care to.
Old 03-19-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Open play does not mean that your group can monopolize a court and exclude others that have come to play--especially if they don't have enough people to start their own game. The pickleball players that I know don't monopolized open play courts and rotate in other players even though they have to sit out a game. IMHO it was not right to exclude the two people from rotating in. It was Open play and not a time that you reserved through the Rec Dept. When you reserve a time then you have the right to exclude others who want to join your group and play.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbv0211 View Post
Open play does not mean that your group can monopolize a court and exclude others that have come to play--especially if they don't have enough people to start their own game. The pickleball players that I know don't monopolized open play courts and rotate in other players even though they have to sit out a game. IMHO it was not right to exclude the two people from rotating in. It was Open play and not a time that you reserved through the Rec Dept. When you reserve a time then you have the right to exclude others who want to join your group and play.
That pretty much sums up how open play works, at least for pickleball.

But in defense of the OP...page 3 of the rec news does say just what the OP claimed, and the wording is possibly a bit open for interpretation: "...No courts are reserved, but are available on a first-come-first-served basis". I can see how this could be interpreted as...we have the court because we were first here. Procedures for open play seem well established and accepted for pickleball. But the definition in the Rec News has some ambiguity in my opinion.

First off, the definition of "open play" is under a paragraph labeled "Categories of Recreation Activities", which is under the main heading "Recreation Pool Guidelines". Yet the definition speaks of "courts". Why if it's under the pool guidelines section?

Sounds like some clarification is in order, at least for pool users.

EDIT: After reading through all the "Categories of Recreational Activities", it's obvious the section applies to all rec activities, not just those associated with a pool. That makes for confusion and possible conflict right off the bat. In addition, the "Open Play" definition is a bit ambiguous and does not exactly (or at least clearly) define open play as implemented in pickleball.

Again...open play in pickleball works well and should be maintained as is. It's just not clear that it conforms to the definition of open play in the Rec News.

(Whew! I ran on and repeated myself more than I intended too...sorry. )

Last edited by Polar Bear; 03-19-2016 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGVillages View Post
There will always be varying skill levels in all of the athletic venues within The Villages that have hours posted for open play.I have been here for 10 years and have played open Pickleball for 9 1/2 years. After the basic skills and rules were absorbed, I searched out courts that would be compatible with my level. As my skills increased over the years I continued to look for courts that would be skill compatible. My point is that I believe it is the responsibility of the person or persons who wants to insert themselves into an open play activity, to do a little research and find a venue that fits their skill level. With that said there will always be some that just show up and ask to play in a an activity beyond their skill level. They should realize this inequity reasonably soon and hopefully will move on to a compatible location elsewhere, which in TV they are numerous. If they don't there is nothing wrong with politltely suggesting there are other locations for their level of play. Beyond this the situation can deteriorate, which I have experienced, where the group just refuses to play with that person. At this point majority rules and the person(s) usually get the hint and move on. Seems in most cases Villages can politely resolve these situations, but with 110,000 + there will always be some that just don't care to.
Unless play time is designated by the rec dept (and in the rec magazine) as a particular level of play (beginner, adv beg, intermediate, advanced), open play means anyone can play at any time. For instance, the entire day at Churchill Rec Center is non-level-designated open play. Traditionally the better players come early in the morning, but anyone can come to play there regardless of the level or time. The rules are if there is someone waiting to play, you must rotate in and out.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:58 AM
Veteran member
Default Open Play...Pickleball

Really great subject..My open play experience with Pickleball has been fantastic and full credit goes to the folks who regularly play @Lake Miona.

I have had so much encouragement, tips on how to improve, from the men and women who obviously play there on a regular basis. I have played at other Pickleball Courts but none can remotely compare with Lake Miona. From the very moment you walk through the gate ..you get that Friendly Warm Welcome, Hi Good Morning..are you ready to play? Wow !

So my advice to All yes All Beginners, Intermediate Players, or just anyone who wants to improve their Picklebal Game...Go To LAKE MIONA any Weekday Morning preferably between 8:00 AM .. 10:00 AM.

Once again...

Thank You To The Pickleball Players of Lake Miona you truly are Very Special

Last edited by 600th Photo Sq; 03-21-2016 at 10:04 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
play, open, friends, game, time, rules, playing, recreation, written, people, volleyball, water, left, facilities, person, good, required, sit, couple, personally, description, level, departments, verbal, based

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.