Open Play Rules

Open Play Rules

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 07:57 PM
Sage

Location: Oregon Mo. St Joesph mo, ft worth tx, Omaha neb., upper heyford UK, Clovis NM, OKC.

I looked at sports pools schedule and don't see no open play/swim. It's either combo swim or lap swimming, all other times are scheduled events. Unless I missed something?

Old 06-21-2016, 07:27 AM
Gold member

Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

I went to beginners play yesterday as I haven’t graduated from PB103 to attend Advanced Beginner sessions. While I am still a work in progress, my partner for that game was playing quite well. Our opponents were beginner beginners who didn’t start the game in the correct positions which put them at a disadvantage from the get-go. We tried to be nice in giving them suggestions on positions. They accused us of playing in the wrong class and then left the courts after the first game. While I would like my game to be at an open level, I have not achieved that yet. It was a hot day and I hope the couple we faced that day would cool down and continue to learn to play BP. It’s only a game played for fun!

Last edited by twoplanekid; 06-21-2016 at 07:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2016, 08:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
I went to beginners play yesterday as I havenít graduated from PB103 to attend Advanced Beginner sessions. While I am still a work in progress, my partner for that game was playing quite well. Our opponents were beginner beginners who didnít start the game in the correct positions which put them at a disadvantage from the get-go. We tried to be nice in giving them suggestions on positions. They accused us of playing in the wrong class and then left the courts after the first game. While I would like my game to be at an open level, I have not achieved that yet. It was a hot day and I hope the couple we faced that day would cool down and continue to learn to play BP. Itís only a game played for fun!
Even after you've taken PB103, you should probably do one of two things: ask one of the instructors what level you should play at open play--beginners or advanced beginners.

Or you should keep playing for a while at beginners level until you are winning most games. Then move up.

Taking PB 103 does not automatically qualify you to be an advanced beginner.

Another thing you could consider doing is going to one of the rating clinics to see exactly what level you're on. Then you will be in the PB system as a rated player and can take part in leagues, drills, and tournaments if you want.

Don't worry about what your opponents are doing. Just concentrate on your own game. If they ask, that's one thing. But few people like being told what to do unless it's by an instructor.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:28 AM
Gold member

Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Thanks for the good advice! As I am taking PB103 tomorrow, I will ask and hope he doesn't recommend that I start everything again.

I am having fun and getting some exercise.

Last edited by twoplanekid; 06-21-2016 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Thanks for the good advice! As I am taking PB103 tomorrow, I will ask and hope he doesn't recommend that I start everything again.

I am having fun and getting some exercise.
Don't be offended if he does. They recommended everyone to take all three of the levels more than once. You will always benefit from the repetition of information and drills.

I think we took 101 and 102 twice each. We are former tennis players so had the "court sense," but it's a bit of a different game. I think the clinics are fun because you only have four players on a court and you are not waiting in line to play.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:57 PM
Veteran member

Location: Ohio, Indiana, Missouri, Georgia, The Villages (St. James)

Quote:
I went to beginners play yesterday as I havenít graduated from PB103 to attend Advanced Beginner sessions. While I am still a work in progress, my partner for that game was playing quite well. Our opponents were beginner beginners who didnít start the game in the correct positions which put them at a disadvantage from the get-go. We tried to be nice in giving them suggestions on positions. They accused us of playing in the wrong class and then left the courts after the first game. While I would like my game to be at an open level, I have not achieved that yet. It was a hot day and I hope the couple we faced that day would cool down and continue to learn to play BP. Itís only a game played for fun!
If you believe that your game has improved, go ahead and give advanced beginner a try.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:16 PM
Sage

Location: Oregon Mo. St Joesph mo, ft worth tx, Omaha neb., upper heyford UK, Clovis NM, OKC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
If you believe that your game has improved, go ahead and give advanced beginner a try.
I agree, if you know how to keep score, understand the two bounce rule, and can serve and rally. Move up. Beginning play IMO give player chance to rally some while leaning rules, where to stand, how to keep score.

Now if you never played racket or paddle sport before it may take little longer get good strokes going. Especially on the
backhand side.
Closed Thread

Tags
play, open, friends, game, time, rules, playing, recreation, written, people, volleyball, water, left, facilities, person, good, required, sit, couple, personally, description, level, departments, verbal, based