Open Play Rules

Closed Thread
Old 03-21-2016, 10:21 AM
Veteran member

"first come, first served" is pretty clear to me.
I can't imagine trying to butt into a group of friends having fun, but some folks just can't help themselves.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post
Really great subject..My open play experience with Pickleball has been fantastic and full credit goes to the folks who regularly play @Lake Miona.

I have had so much encouragement, tips on how to improve, from the men and women who obviously play there on a regular basis. I have played at other Pickleball Courts but none can remotely compare with Lake Miona. From the very moment you walk through the gate ..you get that Friendly Warm Welcome, Hi Good Morning..are you ready to play? Wow !

So my advice to All yes All Beginners, Intermediate Players, or just anyone who wants to improve their Picklebal Game...Go To LAKE MIONA any Weekday Morning preferably between 8:00 AM .. 10:00 AM.

Once again...

Thank You To The Pickleball Players of Lake Miona you truly are Very Special
So...it sounds like you like playing pickleball at Lake Miona?!?
Old 03-21-2016, 01:13 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
"first come, first served" is pretty clear to me.
I can't imagine trying to butt into a group of friends having fun, but some folks just can't help themselves.
Would this not mean that a line should form with those arriving earlier playing before those that arrive later? "First come first served" does not mean you take ownership of the pool/court for as long as you desire. It just means that you go first.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Would this not mean that a line should form with those arriving earlier playing before those that arrive later? "First come first served" does not mean you take ownership of the pool/court for as long as you desire. It just means that you go first.
Let's say I'm at a pickleball court playing with 3 friends on one of several availble courts at that location and 2 people show up and decide that instead of playing on another available court, two of us must sit down so that they have someone to play with. Sorry, I'm not doing it. We'll either leave or tell them no.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:05 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Let's say I'm at a pickleball court playing with 3 friends on one of several availble courts at that location and 2 people show up and decide that instead of playing on another available court, two of us must sit down so that they have someone to play with. Sorry, I'm not doing it. We'll either leave or tell them no.
Wow!! If this were to happen in a group I play with we'd gladly let them alternate in with us. As a matter of fact we'd prefer 6 people over 4. This gives us all an occasional break and we all get to know some new players.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:13 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
Wow!! If this were to happen in a group I play with we'd gladly let them alternate in with us. As a matter of fact we'd prefer 6 people over 4. This gives us all an occasional break and we all get to know some new players.
That's why we go in the afternoon when everyone else is done. We don't go to meet new people and don't need a break. We play non-stop for an hour and then continue our social outing elsewhere. We always make sure there are other courts available for other players.
I also practice singles in this manner. 2 us were practicing singles for a competition and two people showed up and insisted that we play doubles. We said "no thanks". They got very snitty.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:14 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

My brother is always inviting others to join use while playing pickleball or table tennis. So far, everyone has been very nice and occasionally lets us win. There seems to be more retired Olympic athletes here than back up in Ohio. We are getting better and enjoy playing in the Villages.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
That's why we go in the afternoon when everyone else is done. We don't go to meet new people and don't need a break. We play non-stop for an hour and then continue our social outing elsewhere. We always make sure there are other courts available for other players.
I also practice singles in this manner. 2 us were practicing singles for a competition and two people showed up and insisted that we play doubles. We said "no thanks". They got very snitty.
Well, this has me thinking. OK. So, it is not an open play period. It seems that the open play guidelines would not apply. Plenty of open courts. Seems to me that you could play singles.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:55 PM
Sage

[QUOTE=Redstag;1200313 I personally can’t imagine trying to force myself on someone enjoying themselves in a private game, but they were so intent on interrupting what was obviously friends having a good time that they went crying to the facilities manager who sent her people out and told us we had to let them play.[/QUOTE]
I understand completely.

On the other hand, now that I'm older I realize when the other kids were playing and I asked if I could play and they said "not now Tom take a walk and come back in a half hour" that every time I went for a walk for a half hour that when I did get back and no one was there it was probably a trick. That went on for years.

You could try it on them and hope they didn't read this.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:06 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
So...it sounds like you like playing pickleball at Lake Miona?!?
Hi, Yes I have not Liked, but Loved playing at Lake Miona. I have since learned that the " Best Players in the Villages " go there to play. Well judging from the way I was welcomed .. me a novice I would never in a million years would have guessed it. The players could not have been nicer to me, very patient, accommodating, kind, and showing what sportsmanship is all about. Here is the plus while waiting for your turn to rotate in to play..the players will actually give you tips on how to improve..Excellent pretty impressive.

Summarizing : The Villages Friendliest Home Town..
well ..

Lake Miona ? ...Pickleball Friendliest Home Town... Especially for those who want to improve..their skills: Remember every weekday morning between 8:00 AM and 10:00 AM open play..Beginners up to Intermediate +... are more than Welcome. Have a great time !
Old 03-21-2016, 08:04 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Well, this has me thinking. OK. So, it is not an open play period. It seems that the open play guidelines would not apply. Plenty of open courts. Seems to me that you could play singles.
Seems that way to me, too. But there is a certain segment here that thinks all sporting events are about making friends and swapping recipes. There are actually a lot of serious competitors who compete on a national level and do not use sporting venues to plan tonight's dinner.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Hi, Yes I have not Liked, but Loved playing at Lake Miona. I have since learned that the " Best Players in the Villages " go there to play. Well judging from the way I was welcomed .. me a novice I would never in a million years would have guessed it. The players could not have been nicer to me, very patient, accommodating, kind, and showing what sportsmanship is all about. Here is the plus while waiting for your turn to rotate in to play..the players will actually give you tips on how to improve..Excellent pretty impressive.

well ..

Lake Miona ? ...Pickleball Friendliest Home Town... Especially for those who want to improve..their skills: Remember every weekday morning between 8:00 AM and 10:00 AM open play..Beginners up to Intermediate +... are more than Welcome. Have a great time !
Am I sensing some sarcasm here?
Old 03-22-2016, 07:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Seems that way to me, too. But there is a certain segment here that thinks all sporting events are about making friends and swapping recipes. There are actually a lot of serious competitors who compete on a national level and do not use sporting venues to plan tonight's dinner.
That's too far for me. I didn't intend to join a critism.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Am I sensing some sarcasm here?
Sarcasm the answer is emphatically..No..

I am merely relaying my opinion, observation, and advice. I have played at many Pickleball Courts here in The Villages, and have found that for many reasons that " Lake Miona " stands out for in particular for Beginners..up to Intermediate + .

Granted as I have learned the Best Players regularly play at Lake Miona, however those players are More than willing to share with players who are learning to improve..Lets face it it is " The " fastest growing sport in America, and those players recognize that.

I cannot emphasize it more than this particularly on this fine TOTV forum...Beginners up to Intermediate Plus + Go to Lake Miona each weekday morning open play from 8:00 AM to 10:00 AM...You will not be disappointed.

Plus those who are just plain Curious...Go...and Enjoy the Fun..
Old 04-14-2016, 10:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:

well ..

They were being nice. I doubt they want bunch of beginners showing up at open play 8 to 10 where the best players in the villages group play at. They will not hold back their shots for ever.
Closed Thread

Tags
play, open, friends, game, time, rules, playing, recreation, written, people, volleyball, water, left, facilities, person, good, required, sit, couple, personally, description, level, departments, verbal, based

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.