Open Play Rules

Closed Thread
Old 04-14-2016, 11:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
They were being nice. I doubt they want bunch of beginners showing up at open play 8 to 10 where the best players in the villages group play at. They will not hold back their shots for ever.
Agree. One time last winter, four of us went to play at Hibiscus. The rec center was closed for maintenance, and nobody had put balls out on the courts. My husband and the other guy went over to Miona to get a couple of balls off of their court. Two. balls. When they walked on, that 5.0 group was playing at the far end, and they actually asked them (in a not nice way) why they came onto the court. And not all the courts were taken, so it wasn't like, "We're full up." Only one player was decent to them after they explained why they were there.

I wouldn't go near that bunch. The one time we did play while they were playing, they made so much noise you couldn't hear yourself think. Also, they leave balls all over the court when they're done. Too much entitlement going on there.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
They were being nice. I doubt they want bunch of beginners showing up at open play 8 to 10 where the best players in the villages group play at. They will not hold back their shots for ever.
I believe that the post calling for beginners to go to Lake Miona during open play time is an attempt at pay back. Kinda sad actually.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
I believe that the post calling for beginners to go to Lake Miona during open play time is an attempt at pay back. Kinda sad actually.
Ooooh. The plot thickens.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:51 PM

When we were young and wished to play basketball on a court in nyc, we showed up with our own team. We waited till our rotation arrived and played the winners of last game. either 3 man for half-court or 5 -man for full court game.
My understanding is that in water volleyball, it is 6-man teams. If, two people wish to play in next game, how in the world do they do that with only 2 people? Which 2 people from the 12 players of last game sit out? That seems silly to me. How can 2 people think, and rec dept. back them up, they can disrupt a game that takes 6 people to complete a team?
The 2 people are obviously very selfish individuals.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromisesKept View Post
When we were young and wished to play basketball on a court in nyc, we showed up with our own team. We waited till our rotation arrived and played the winners of last game. either 3 man for half-court or 5 -man for full court game.
My understanding is that in water volleyball, it is 6-man teams. If, two people wish to play in next game, how in the world do they do that with only 2 people? Which 2 people from the 12 players of last game sit out? That seems silly to me. How can 2 people think, and rec dept. back them up, they can disrupt a game that takes 6 people to complete a team?
The 2 people are obviously very selfish individuals.
Uh-uh. The rules are different. you can't apply what you had back home to TV.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:14 PM
Email Reported As Spam

The term "amenity fee"comes to mind here. All amenities are available to all 130,000+ village residents. There are no home/private/exclusive golf courses, pickleball courts or rec pools. The exception with pools is if you pay priority. and championship courses where golf fees apply. Even on golf championship/executive courses singles often join a threesome

People who participate in sports here are pretty much on their own as those who go to the town square and complain about seat savers
If they paid their fees they play and the powers to be will not intervene unless there is a serious breach of rules or falsification of villages ID's.......
Old 05-30-2016, 05:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

I think there Are two fold meaning to open play when listed in rec for activities. IMO the open play scheduled each morning like pickle ball is different from open for play like billiards, or even open for play pickleball after 10am. IMO after 10am in pickleball means the courts are not scheduled for event just like billiards tables are not scheduled for events. Meaning anybody can make use of the courts or tables not in use. But, if all courts are full you make have to stop and give up the activity to people waiting to play after certain time posted. As for swimming pool where there is only one court and NOT reserved I don't see how parties can hog the pool for all the open time? Either they quit the water polo game after it over or invite the people waiting to enter the pool. Why? only ONE court/pool available.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:21 PM
Default open play

six courts are utilized during normal 2 hour session. When there is an open court, no one should bother people playing on one of the six. Go use an open court by yourself & your friends.
Seems logical & courteous to me.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:07 PM
Sage

[QUOTE=PromisesKept;1234453]six courts are utilized during normal 2 hour session. When there is an open court, no one should bother people playing on one of the six. Go use an open court by yourself & your friends.
Seems logical & courteous to me.[/QUOTE

I agree, I won't barge in on people I don't know unless I am asked to join
Old 06-05-2016, 02:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by theorem painter View Post
Even if there was no courtesy rule posted it would seem to me that it is basic human decency to let a fellow villager play if he asked. The "interlopers" in question have paid their amenity fees just like you did. You did not own that pool during the open play.
It seems that way to me also, but perhaps I'm being naive.
Shouldn't people be given a friendly welcome during open play, and not be treated as interlopers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I understand completely.
On the other hand, now that I'm older I realize when the other kids were playing and I asked if I could play and they said "not now Tom take a walk and come back in a half hour" that every time I went for a walk for a half hour that when I did get back and no one was there it was probably a trick. That went on for years.
You could try it on them and hope they didn't read this.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:57 PM
Sage

I looked at sports pools schedule and don't see no open play/swim. It's either combo swim or lap swimming, all other times are scheduled events. Unless I missed something?
Old 06-21-2016, 07:27 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

I went to beginners play yesterday as I haven’t graduated from PB103 to attend Advanced Beginner sessions. While I am still a work in progress, my partner for that game was playing quite well. Our opponents were beginner beginners who didn’t start the game in the correct positions which put them at a disadvantage from the get-go. We tried to be nice in giving them suggestions on positions. They accused us of playing in the wrong class and then left the courts after the first game. While I would like my game to be at an open level, I have not achieved that yet. It was a hot day and I hope the couple we faced that day would cool down and continue to learn to play BP. It’s only a game played for fun!

Last edited by twoplanekid; 06-21-2016 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
I went to beginners play yesterday as I haven’t graduated from PB103 to attend Advanced Beginner sessions. While I am still a work in progress, my partner for that game was playing quite well. Our opponents were beginner beginners who didn’t start the game in the correct positions which put them at a disadvantage from the get-go. We tried to be nice in giving them suggestions on positions. They accused us of playing in the wrong class and then left the courts after the first game. While I would like my game to be at an open level, I have not achieved that yet. It was a hot day and I hope the couple we faced that day would cool down and continue to learn to play BP. It’s only a game played for fun!
Even after you've taken PB103, you should probably do one of two things: ask one of the instructors what level you should play at open play--beginners or advanced beginners.

Or you should keep playing for a while at beginners level until you are winning most games. Then move up.

Taking PB 103 does not automatically qualify you to be an advanced beginner.

Another thing you could consider doing is going to one of the rating clinics to see exactly what level you're on. Then you will be in the PB system as a rated player and can take part in leagues, drills, and tournaments if you want.

Don't worry about what your opponents are doing. Just concentrate on your own game. If they ask, that's one thing. But few people like being told what to do unless it's by an instructor.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:28 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Thanks for the good advice! As I am taking PB103 tomorrow, I will ask and hope he doesn't recommend that I start everything again.

I am having fun and getting some exercise.

Last edited by twoplanekid; 06-21-2016 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
Thanks for the good advice! As I am taking PB103 tomorrow, I will ask and hope he doesn't recommend that I start everything again.

I am having fun and getting some exercise.
Don't be offended if he does. They recommended everyone to take all three of the levels more than once. You will always benefit from the repetition of information and drills.

I think we took 101 and 102 twice each. We are former tennis players so had the "court sense," but it's a bit of a different game. I think the clinics are fun because you only have four players on a court and you are not waiting in line to play.

Tags
play, open, friends, game, time, rules, playing, recreation, written, people, volleyball, water, left, facilities, person, good, required, sit, couple, personally, description, level, departments, verbal, based

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.