Scratch pool

Closed Thread
Old 09-04-2021, 10:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,879 Times in 2,425 Posts
Default Scratch pool

A game I use to play in the 60’s at local pool halls where I grew up. I don’t know history, can’t find any official rules?

Ok, something I’m good at! Not so fast.

A call shot game even on the break. Object of the game, shoot object ball into cue ball to make object ball.

Start with cue ball at head of rack and break with object ball (number on balls mean nothing, game in old days was played with all red balls no numbers) yes, you have to hit the cue ball first or it foul, all fouls own ball, first one to 8 winner. Several ways to play like all pool games rules are local. Way I played in my area was one shot then you opponent got shot till some gets to 8. Not a continuous ball pocketing game, alternates.

If three are playing first one to 6, if 4 are playing first one to 5.

If cue ball goes in it’s foul, cue ball and ball you owe gets spotted with cue ball on the spot with own ball or balls inline behind cue ball. if you made ball and cue ball went it you would spot two balls the one you made and one you owe. The one you made on foul don’t count.

On spotted balls with cue on spot you can push through the object ball cause they are touching. Can be easy shot to side pocket if you know how to stroke/push out object ball to side.

So, now you have to know how the object ball will react off cue (just like in regular pool when cue ball reacts off object ball). So, you hit the cue ball with any object ball to put object ball in pocket. You can draw it, spin it, throw it, follow it, bank it, No combination’s allowed, after you hit the cue ball calling the ball of course you want to pocket. If cue ball hit another ball after you contact and that ball goes in it counts as long as you made the ball you called. If you missed the ball called illegally pocketed gets spotted.

Course you have be conscious of where cue ball going end up so you don’t leave you’re opponent easy shot..

This game really tests you’re knowledge and skill and helps knowing how cue will react in regular game of pool. All to make you a better player.

Last edited by Topspinmo; 11-25-2021 at 04:33 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
ball, cue, object, game, balls

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.