Seeking advice about a new bowling ball

Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2016, 11:00 AM
Sage

Biggest change I see is that the seats in the pit used to be for sitting. Now they're for storing all the bowlers' multiple balls.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:42 AM
Sage

Thank-you for the advice
I'm going to stick to one old bag and ball and see how it goes. I'll check out Jack Schmidt. Is there any experts at AMF Leesburg that drills holes?
Old 01-10-2016, 12:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Thank-you for the advice
I'm going to stick to one old bag and ball and see how it goes. I'll check out Jack Schmidt. Is there any experts at AMF Leesburg that drills holes?
LOL, don't do it!!! Use that old ball I mean. I'm positive it is an old rubber ball, most likely out of round and it will Definitely not fit your hand properly after all the years. I doubt seriously any pro shop would even plug and redrilled it. And bowling just a few games with an ill fitting ball could lead to hand injury or at the very least aggravate arthritis.
Seek the advice of a professional as to buying a new ball. Most likely a urethane ball would work for recreational bowling, and they are much less expensive that to new hi tech resin balls. I have heard of Jack Schmidt, but I have no personal knowledge as to how good he is. It probably wouldn't cost you much to find out.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
I doubt seriously any pro shop would even plug and redrilled it. And bowling just a few games with an ill fitting ball could lead to hand injury or at the very least aggravate arthritis.
I'll stick with golf.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
I'll stick with golf.
You can't go wrong there...
Old 01-10-2016, 08:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
You can't go wrong there...
I did a little reading and a little filing and my bowling ball feels pretty comfortable. I did a little more reading and practicing on my footwork and it's all coming back to me.
Now I need to find out what I can use to clean and maybe polish or wax the ball. I'm left handed so it's not so easy to find a ball on the rack drilled for a lefty.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,092 Times in 2,230 Posts

Quote:
I did a little reading and a little filing and my bowling ball feels pretty comfortable. I did a little more reading and practicing on my footwork and it's all coming back to me.
Now I need to find out what I can use to clean and maybe polish or wax the ball. I'm left handed so it's not so easy to find a ball on the rack drilled for a lefty.
Tom,
Use a good household degreasing detergent (simply orange or similar) to remove old OIL. Dry. Then use denatured alcohol to further clean the surface. DO NOT WAX OR APPLY ANY OTHER MATERAIL TO THE BALL. If you must, use the ball conditioner at the alley. The ball is intended to be as clean as possible to work correctly with the alley. If you apply any other coating, other than a cleaner (Tac-up) you will interfere with the path the ball will take on its way to the pins.
Also, do not try to have polish the ball, you will ruin it. The above are a temporary 'fix'. Balls absorb oil from the lanes, and the only way to completely clean the ball is drop it off at a pro shop for a few days to have it cleaned and resurfaced.
If you would like to discuss more, drop me a PM and I will give you my phone number.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Tom,
Use a good household degreasing detergent (simply orange or similar) to remove old OIL. Dry. Then use denatured alcohol to further clean the surface. DO NOT WAX OR APPLY ANY OTHER MATERAIL TO THE BALL. If you must, use the ball conditioner at the alley. The ball is intended to be as clean as possible to work correctly with the alley. If you apply any other coating, other than a cleaner (Tac-up) you will interfere with the path the ball will take on its way to the pins.
Also, do not try to have polish the ball, you will ruin it. The above are a temporary 'fix'. Balls absorb oil from the lanes, and the only way to completely clean the ball is drop it off at a pro shop for a few days to have it cleaned and resurfaced.
If you would like to discuss more, drop me a PM and I will give you my phone number.
thank-you
How about Goo Gone?
Old 01-11-2016, 10:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Tomwed, let us know how it goes. VT gives good advice regarding cleaning a ball, but let's not forget it's a 50 plus year old rubber ball that will most likely slide on the newer lane surfaces of today, it won't grab the lane and react to the conditioning on the lane, and it will most likely go pretty straight down the lane. But, as long as it doesn't bother your hand, it probably doesn't matter much.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Tomwed, let us know how it goes. VT gives good advice regarding cleaning a ball, but let's not forget it's a 50 plus year old rubber ball that will most likely slide on the newer lane surfaces of today, it won't grab the lane and react to the conditioning on the lane, and it will most likely go pretty straight down the lane. But, as long as it doesn't bother your hand, it probably doesn't matter much.
"Newer lane surfaces"...different kind of oil or what?
Old 01-29-2016, 05:03 PM
Sage

My friend at work had the right idea when it comes to bowling or golf. He used to say "if I can break a hundred in either game, I'm happy".
Old 01-29-2016, 07:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,092 Times in 2,230 Posts

All, there is actually a list of approved cleaning agents on the USBC website: BOWL.com | Home
Goo Gone is NOT on the list, and is actually a lubricant, and will ruin the ball surface until it is removed.
Also, the lanes were at one time wood, they are now almost all synthetic and react much more differently then wood lanes. Also, the approaches now tend to be synthetic, and actually RESIST sliding. I was found some time ago that you can get more power (aka speed) to the ball if you do not slide.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoseman View Post
"Newer lane surfaces"...different kind of oil or what?
The surface is synthetic, unlike the wood lanes that we grew up bowling on. Though we used rubber and plastic bowling balls back then, a bowler could get the ball to hook for a number of reasons. A couple of those being less oil to the outside of the lane, or a deep track worn into a certain area of the lane that most people used. Those areas provided friction for the ball to "grab ahold of" thus creating a hook of some sort.
The newer synthetic lanes by nature do not allow for a high degree of friction, unless there is a very minimal amount of oil applied to the lane. The newer bowling balls today are resin or composite resin based, with either a symmetric or asemetric weight block. Under a microscope, the surface would be very porous, thus creating friction and a hook to some extent.
The old rubber ball that Tomwed has does not have a porous surface. Matching a non porous surface to a synthetic lane surface with a decent amount of oil, that is a recipe for a straight ball and not a whole lot of fun.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
that is a recipe for a straight ball and not a whole lot of fun.
I would probably have more fun with a ball that breaks. But unless I get hooked I don't see myself going very often. It's just a neighborhood someone is putting together.

Last edited by tomwed; 01-29-2016 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
I would probably have more fun with a ball that breaks. But unless I get hooked I don't see myself going very often. It's just a neighborhood someone is putting together.
Bowling equipment, like golf equipment can get expensive. If your neighbors do get you hooked, buy a used "resin" ball and have it redrilled.
Closed Thread

Tags
ball, thumb, hole, associate, bowling, sales, measured, pro, experienced, fit, proper, advice, bowler, league, put, i’ve, yesterday, store, pitch, bowlers, shoes, play, completely, refit, “take

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.